Trent's problem

ottawabills

Trent Edwards has never consistently played well, college or pros.

Trent Edwards has had two concussions in the last two seasons.

Trent Edwards has played up and mostly down since the Arizona concussion.

Trent Edwards has always played up and mostly down in the NFL.

Trent Edwards was never an NFL starting QB and if some want to remember him as the guy that never panned out because of concussions, thats cool. I'm just not buying it.

I think most of us agree its time to find another option.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being the Bills fan from Ottawa is my gimmick. Please find another one...thanks!

:censored:

On Trent, it's not the concussion in Arizona, he played great against San Diego and KC following the hit. It's simply a confidence issue. Our melbatoast coach has put fear into taking risks with his "play not to lose" mentality. Throwing a ball into tight coverage or a moving target means the chance of a pick. And Jauron's game plan is set so that one mistake means a loss.

I hope Trent takes the rest of the year off and comes back and CHALLENGES FOR THE STARTING POSITION AGAINST SUITABLE COMPETITION (no gimmes in camp next year) under a new staff that understands how to build an offense.

I went to the St. Louis game last year, and just to make everyone aware, Trent had a very poor showing in that game, barely moving the offense at all the entire game. If you remember last year at all, the offense was ****ty in every game except the opener. The hit and concussion did not change Trent at all and is a lame excuse for anyone to look at that as a turning point in Trent's career. The only thing he did better than Losman was to complete passes to backs, and have the ability to check down. This resulted in some chain moving, but never translated into points.

someone explain to me what changed? If nothing else, we as Bills fans need to realize that a few hits did not diminish his skills, he was just not an elite QB, and wasn't on any pace to become one.

Being the Bills fan from Ottawa is my gimmick. Please find another one...thanks!

:censored:

On Trent, it's not the concussion in Arizona, he played great against San Diego and KC following the hit. It's simply a confidence issue. Our melbatoast coach has put fear into taking risks with his "play not to lose" mentality. Throwing a ball into tight coverage or a moving target means the chance of a pick. And Jauron's game plan is set so that one mistake means a loss.

I hope Trent takes the rest of the year off and comes back and CHALLENGES FOR THE STARTING POSITION AGAINST SUITABLE COMPETITION (no gimmes in camp next year) under a new staff that understands how to build an offense.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. He did have good games after the hit. It's clear that his confidence is shot. From what I remember from his best games, he'd get rid of the ball, on target, in a hurry. It would be look, bang, completion. I just don't see that nowadays. He seems to stare down the receiver and take ages to get his passes away. Sure other things have changed - the offensive line is worse, different oc, opposing coaches can gameplan for him etc... but I don't believe it's all down to that. I still think Trent could be a good qb in this league but it would take a decent coach to get him out of his funk. He needs someone to tell him to stop checking down, throw the ball and not worry about interceptions. Someone who will get him to believe in his ability again. Sadly, Jauron is just not that guy. In fact, he's probably quite happy with the ultracautious approach.

After the Arizona game it seems when he gets pressure he just looks just for the checkdown pass. It also seem he does not have the ability to buy extra time with his feet like stepping up into the pocket or moving to the right or left.

That was a mean hit he took in AZ. He maybe more likely to get concussions in the future sad to say. But you are getting the same QB that you got at Stanford.

Also after 3 seasons he does not have any chemistry with Lee Evans and that concerns me just as much as he is injury prone.

The hit and concussion did not change Trent at all and is a lame excuse for anyone to look at that as a turning point in Trent's career.

I'm not buying the concussion thing either. He played well against San Diego and Kansas City last year after that. He played well against NE but we lost this year and he played lights out against Tampa Bay just a few weeks ago.

I do remember the tentative and erratic play though even before the concussion. Against Dallas in the big MNF debable he threw short check down type passes all night and then threw the pick 6 in the late 3rd quarter that changed the game. Against the Giants that same year he came out hot as a pistol and completed like 8 out of his first 9 with 2 TDs. Then he only completed about 2 passes the rest of the game.

I think crowning his A$$ coming into this season with no competition in training camp was detrimental and dumb.

Maybe he's just not good enough?

Guest dog14787
Trent Edwards has never consistently played well, college or pros.

Trent Edwards has had two concussions in the last two seasons.

Trent Edwards has played up and mostly down since the Arizona concussion.

Trent Edwards has always played up and mostly down in the NFL.

Trent Edwards was never an NFL starting QB and if some want to remember him as the guy that never panned out because of concussions, thats cool. I'm just not buying it.

I think most of us agree its time to find another option.

Anyone who thinks they can get an accurate gauge on our starting QB's capabilities( Fitz or Edwards) until our O-line matures is just talking out their ass. (nothing personnel buddy) I address you Push because I know you and I can at least stay civilized in our ongoing debate over TE.

You could put Trent Edwards with any other team in our division and he takes them to the playoffs in my opinion.

Anyone who thinks they can get an accurate gauge on our starting QB's capabilities( Fitz or Edwards) until our O-line matures is just talking out their ass. (nothing personnel buddy) I address you Push because I know you and I can at least stay civilized in our ongoing debate over TE.

You could put Trent Edwards with any other team in our division and he takes them to the playoffs in my opinion.

While driving the team bus maybe.

No offence, but seriously this was a very good thread before your post.

Guest dog14787
While driving the team bus maybe.

No offence, but seriously this was a very good thread before your post.

What, because we don't agree.

Difference of opinion, its what this board is all about and believe me buddy, most folks realize it all starts with the O-line. The same folks realize its pretty much useless to argue with folks that have other ideas.( then there's me)

It all falls on the QB's shoulders and just goes with the territory.There's no way to dispute, bad O-line , inexperienced OC running a failing offense to begin with, its going to get bad results.

Bad results , bad QB play, they go hand in hand I suppose.

What, because we don't agree.

Difference of opinion, its what this board is all about and believe me buddy, most folks realize it all starts with the O-line, and the same folks realize its pretty much useless to argue with folks that have other ideas.( then there's me)

It all falls on the QB's shoulders and just goes with the territory.There's no way to dispute, bad O-line , inexperienced OC running a failing offense to begin with, its going to get bad results.

Bad results , bad QB play, they go hand in hand I suppose.

My post was unduly provocative, for which I apologize.

I think everyone understands the importance of playing behind a good offensive line, and the difficulty of playing behind a bad (or inexperienced) one. Many posters on this board however think that this simply cannot fully account for Trent's poor play. I agree with them. There are other issues. I think that Trent may have the physical ability to be a good QB, and I think its possible that he may still develop into one. But, for whatever reason, there clearly just seems to be something wrong in his head.

Guest dog14787
My post was unduly provocative, for which I apologize.

I think everyone understands the importance of playing behind a good offensive line, and the difficulty of playing behind a bad (or inexperienced) one. Many posters on this board however think that this simply cannot fully account for Trent's poor play. I agree with them. There are other issues. I think that Trent may have the physical ability to be a good QB, and I think its possible that he may still develop into one. But, for whatever reason, there clearly just seems to be something wrong in his head.

No need to apologize, but the fact that you did speaks volumes, thanks and welcome to the board.

I can't discount what you are saying and in the end Trent Edwards has to take responsibility for the final outcome.

I think that Trent may have the physical ability to be a good QB, and I think its possible that he may still develop into one. But, for whatever reason, there clearly just seems to be something wrong in his head.

My own personal theory is that Trent has all the physical tools to be a fine NFL QB. I don't think he has the drive and will to win and attention span of a guy like Flutie or Jim Kelly or Roger Staubach or Big Ben. Every year he has played he's started out looking really good. Even the first few games this year. Then after a while he starts to play uninspired football (like the Clowns and Fish games). I just don't think he has the drive and attention span to put together more than 5 or 6 weeks of good football.

Sometime he can't even keep it going for a whole game. How many times have we seen him come out on fire only to fizzle late in the game? See the Patsies* game this year or the Giants game in 2007 for example. After 2006 JP vowed to take a month off and then come back to Buffalo and work out, etc and did. Brett Favre works out with high school kids. Trent goes back to CA to play golf. That's what's missing IMHO.

The offensive line has been shaky at times this year. I think they are most shaky in fourth quarters where the Bills are behind and defenses can pin their ears back. I don't feel TE is under anymore pressure than half the teams in the league. TE holds the ball to long and doesn't move well in the pocket. Unless the play is designed for TE to move outside the hashes he can't make plays. Even then he holds it forever. I just don't see him making plays with or without immediate pressure.

Unfortunately, Edwards has many of the same traits as JP and most QBs who wash out of the NFL.

My own personal theory is that Trent has all the physical tools to be a fine NFL QB. I don't think he has the drive and will to win and attention span of a guy like Flutie or Jim Kelly or Roger Staubach or Big Ben. Every year he has played he's started out looking really good. Even the first few games this year. Then after a while he starts to play uninspired football (like the Clowns and Fish games). I just don't think he has the drive and attention span to put together more than 5 or 6 weeks of good football.

Sometime he can't even keep it going for a whole game. How many times have we seen him come out on fire only to fizzle late in the game? See the Patsies* game this year or the Giants game in 2007 for example. After 2006 JP vowed to take a month off and then come back to Buffalo and work out, etc and did. Brett Favre works out with high school kids. Trent goes back to CA to play golf. That's what's missing IMHO.

I agree that Edwards doesn't appear to have any leadership qualities nor seem very concerned about winning or losing.

OTOH, some of his problems are imposed on him. He plays in a comically simpleminded offensive system; I mean coaches in the 8 and 9 year old league use motion and shifts. The brain-dead Bills "system" puts the entire offense at a supreme disadvantage. His horrendous record against 3-4 defenses is far more likely due to the fact that he can't simply stand there and diagnose the defense pre-snap because the Bills offense does nothing to force the defense to declare anything or work favorable match-ups than it is that he is a retard or that he wasn't prepared for it at all.

Of course, just being content to be made to look like a fool isn't exactly the competitive fire one wants to see from their starting QB and that's all on him.

If you are right (and of course you may be) he should forget about playing QB in the NFL and has no business on a NFL playing field. At the end of the day it makes no sense for, say, an insurance salesman to share the same space as a e.g. Ronnie Lott, or Ray Lewis or Jim Kelly. Speaking for myself, I am perplexed and frustrated by Trent and I just can't figure it out to where I am comfortable coming to any conclusion. A lot of what people say makes sense. Somehow I still feel that I am always missing some important piece of the puzzle.

Guest dog14787
If you are right (and of course you may be) he should forget about playing QB in the NFL and has no business on a NFL playing field. At the end of the day it makes no sense for, say, an insurance salesman to share the same space as a e.g. Ronnie Lott, or Ray Lewis or Jim Kelly. Speaking for myself, I am perplexed and frustrated by Trent and I just can't figure it out to where I am comfortable coming to any conclusion. A lot of what people say makes sense. Somehow I still feel that I am always missing some important piece of the puzzle.

You and me both buddy, you and me both...

Trent's problem is he isnt a starting QB in the NFL....backup at best

Let Trent sit out until after the bye week to just watch. Hopefully he'll be able to see for himself the throws he's been missing. BTW, watched that USFL: Small Potatoes movie on ESPN the other day...it was both great and sad to watch Kelly throw the ball all over the field. He was soooo good...We need a QB with some balls and a gunslinger mentality a la Jimbo before we'll be able to seriously contend again.

In the mean time they should concentrate on boosting up the D over the offseason and become a Defensive team that runs the ball well (Freddy and Marshawn are a great 1 - 2 punch) and let trent or fitz "manage" the game a la Orton until we're able to draft that stud QB to take us to the promise land.

Trent Edwards problem is an inexperienced O-line and OC along with a HC who should be coaching the DB's.

Trent Edwards problem is the bone headed FO that decided to get cute and revamp a decent O-line in the offseason.

Trent Edwards problem is the Buffalo Bills don't have a clue on how to do anything right including develop a QB without getting him killed. :censored:

hahahaha, flip flopping again...classic dog14787

Dude, make up your mind. One week Trent is better than Jim Kelly and "magical". Then, after you got flamed unmercifully by so many posters for literally inventing a fake second concussion last season to try and make yet another excuse for him, you flip flop in the very same thread 2 posts later to say Trent does suck and isnt an NFL QB...you literally called for Fitz to start.

You also ball washed AVP and called for him to be HC. Now you are once again making excuses for Trent and actually blaming your beloved AVP as an additional excuse?

So, I am asking you right now, which is it? You have said Trent is better than Jim Kelly, and you have also said 2 weeks ago he isnt an NFL QB and Fitz should be starting. Now you are back to making excuses for Trent...

Piece of advice, if you are going to go from one side to the other on so many topics so many times, maybe you shouldnt call everyone a "retard", "idiot", "moron", "dumbass", etc. considering how often you "change" your mind (aka, flip flop)

Funny little stat about Trent...he was the worst rated QB in the NFL last year during the first halves of games. I dont mean the first half of the season, I mean literally the first 2 quarters of each game, and his rating was very low.

To me that tells me something about his ability to see the field. He gets out there and doesnt know what he is looking at and cant get comfortable. His only success came in second halves of games when the coaches can get to him and show him how to beat the defenses, and even that didnt help much once teams had Trent figured out.