Tyler Myers

Dante

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why did anyone think he wasn't staying up, even (well) before tonight? When you have a guy 6'8" with halfway decent skills, he stays. Period. The extra stuff he's shown this early is gravy.

+1

+1

Why is this such a strange concept to you guys? Young players get sent down all the time. Not necessarily because they can't compete, just for a little seasoning or just to learn some appreciation of where they are. Luke Schenn for the Leafs maybe should have got a little of this. Played great his rookie year but now looks content. Not as hungry as he should be. Brett Hull, Mark Recchi, even Hasek went down in their rookie year.

Why is this such a strange concept to you guys? Young players get sent down all the time. Not necessarily because they can't compete, just for a little seasoning or just to learn some appreciation of where they are. Luke Schenn for the Leafs maybe should have got a little of this. Played great his rookie year but now looks content. Not as hungry as he should be. Brett Hull, Mark Recchi, even Hasek went down in their rookie year.

The issue with Myers is that he would have to go back to juniors, he can't go to the AHL. So he wouldn't be playing against as good of competition, and we couldn't call him up when needed (without triggering the start of his contract and FA years). So, he'll have to be a Sabre all year or we won't see him until the 10/11 season. I'd normally agree with you, it would be fine, but this guy is too good to play junior hockey anymore.

Really, what would be gained (other than saving a few $$) by shipping him back to juniors? He was already the best player in the WHL - he would've learned nothing by going back there

An additional year under contract, but at this point it's all moot. "Saving" him for next year, when he's arguably the best D man on the team, would obviously be stupid. He's already contributing to W's, sending him down may actually add a few L's to the team's record.

An additional year under contract, but at this point it's all moot. "Saving" him for next year, when he's arguably the best D man on the team, would obviously be stupid. He's already contributing to W's, sending him down may actually add a few L's to the team's record.

Yep, it's about his contract. :lol:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=An.0...p&type=lgns

Better make the right choice, boys!

I didn't. But it's a Buffalo franchise...anything can happen, and usually does.

This is sooo sad and sooo true, especially when it comes to money and being generally cheap. The ONLY reason to send the kid down would be that he becomes a free agent a year later. Most normal people would say "Who the F cares? Sign him to an extension TODAY then." But the Bills and Sabres take cheap to an unheard of level, and while I would say I'm 100% postitive the kid isn't going anywhere, you can't rule out anything with these wildcard front offices.

On top of his outstanding play, he's supposed to be a great kid who has really endeared himself to the rest of the team. I was at the game in Tampa Saturday night, and the team barrelled off the bench and attacked Myers after his shootout goal, dragging him down to the ice and celebrating with him...Just interesting, considering Ryan Miller just made 6 straight penalty shot saves and he was an afterthought...But supposedly everyone loves his work ethic in practice, and his ability to take the general rookie potshots and "hazing" from teamates, etc.

Tampa's big young D-Man, Hedman, and Myers were the two best defensemen on the ice Saturday. Hedman made a bad mistake on Buff's first goal, which is going to happen. It happened to Myers vs. Atlanta, and will happen to both of them all year (albeit hopefully less frequently, and not the same mistake twice.) But there was no question, with their size and reach, that they were the two forces to be reckoned with out there. When they start sweeping those long sticks around, it seems like they're scraping both sides of the boards.

This is sooo sad and sooo true, especially when it comes to money and being generally cheap. The ONLY reason to send the kid down would be that he becomes a free agent a year later. Most normal people would say "Who the F cares? Sign him to an extension TODAY then." But the Bills and Sabres take cheap to an unheard of level, and while I would say I'm 100% postitive the kid isn't going anywhere, you can't rule out anything with these wildcard front offices.

The CBA might have something to say about that issue. Anyway, even if it was possible, the idea of giving a longterm contract extension to a guy 7 games into his career is laughable. I wish people would think before they say things like that.

The CBA might have something to say about that issue. Anyway, even if it was possible, the idea of giving a longterm contract extension to a guy 7 games into his career is laughable. I wish people would think before they say things like that.

C'mon Jimmy Literal...Some room for exaggeration on a message board? Not with you on the prowl. The point I'm making is, if he's your guy and he's real deal, then why would free agency in 2011 differ from free agency in 2012? You're going to sign him to an extension regardless before his contract is up, if he continues to play like he's shown he can play. He's performing, you pay for performance. Russ Brandon/Jason Peters not withstanding.