Tyler Myers

Dante

Not sure of the rookie rules but I thought I heard/read somewhere that teams have to make a decision on them by nine games. They decide to keep them on the big team or send them down. If this is true I'm just curious what the Sabres plan to do with Myers. They certainly aren't playing him like you would a green rookie. Had 20 minutes last night. PP and PK duty. Picked him up for Yahoo team and hoping he stays up. Every game Ive seen him this season he looks good. Last Fridays Atlanta game he made a couple costly mistakes but thats going to happen.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure of the rookie rules but I thought I heard/read somewhere that teams have to make a decision on them by nine games. They decide to keep them on the big team or send them down. If this is true I'm just curious what the Sabres plan to do with Myers. They certainly aren't playing him like you would a green rookie. Had 20 minutes last night. PP and PK duty. Picked him up for Yahoo team and hoping he stays up. Every game Ive seen him this season he looks good. Last Fridays Atlanta game he made a couple costly mistakes but thats going to happen.

Um no, they do not send him back to juniors. You did hear/read somewhere that they have 9 games to make a decision, but I think the decision was made a couple games ago. This kid can compete at the NHL level and does not need another year of juniors. And Myers wasn't the only one who made costly mistakes against Atlanta...

Paille was traded to Boston this week, so there's no longer an urgent need to move any current Sabre back down to Portland. Couple that with the fact that Myers has been our best D-man in a few games this year, and it's a safe bet that he permanently made the roster. Kennedy as well. Gerbe, Weber, etc... will get their NHL playing minutes when other Sabres inevitably get injured.

Paille was traded to Boston this week, so there's no longer an urgent need to move any current Sabre back down to Portland. Couple that with the fact that Myers has been our best D-man in a few games this year, and it's a safe bet that he permanently made the roster. Kennedy as well. Gerbe, Weber, etc... will get their NHL playing minutes when other Sabres inevitably get injured.

Myers wouldnt go to Portland

Just a minor clarification on the rule. A player with junior eligibility can be returned to his junior club at any point, even after he has played in 10 NHL games. It'll never happen though because was that player hits 10 games, it counts as a year of service on his contract, essentially starting the clock ticking towards his free agency status (7 years of NHL/AHL hockey). I guess that could happen if a player really went into the tank and the team needed a roster spot badly.

Um no, they do not send him back to juniors. You did hear/read somewhere that they have 9 games to make a decision, but I think the decision was made a couple games ago. This kid can compete at the NHL level and does not need another year of juniors. And Myers wasn't the only one who made costly mistakes against Atlanta...

In no way was I suggesting he should go. Just wondering if Ruff or other Sabre management had said anything in the press. It's exciting to see him adapting to the NHL game so quickly. I can't say I'm too surprised though. He was outstanding in the world jrs. I liked him better than Hedman. Although I am a little biased though.

Just a minor clarification on the rule. A player with junior eligibility can be returned to his junior club at any point, even after he has played in 10 NHL games. It'll never happen though because was that player hits 10 games, it counts as a year of service on his contract, essentially starting the clock ticking towards his free agency status (7 years of NHL/AHL hockey). I guess that could happen if a player really went into the tank and the team needed a roster spot badly.

Correct, found this bit on one of the Sabres sites:

We asked Sabres Public Relations Director Mike Gilbert, and he offered this explanation. “The nine games simply involves year one of Myer’s contract. He signed a three year agreement with the team, and if he stays beyond the nine games, then year one goes into effect. If he gets sent down, then year one doesn’t kick in until he returns. All this means that ultimately his arbitration rights, free agency, etcetera would kick in that much quicker should the team elect to keep him,” said Gilbert.

So that’s pretty much it. Translation… either the Sabres get to keep Myers at a lower price for as long as possible, or they lock him up to a long term contract at some point and pay the best case scenario of the big bucks that Myers will surely command.

I've always thought that there was no such thing as a dumb question.

I stand corrected.

He better damn well stay up. He seems to be playing really well, IMO. A few mistakes here and there, but that's expected with his age and level of experience. I think this kid is gonna be very good.

He's got far fewer than the "expected with his age and level of experience" number of mistakes. He's playing better than Montador and Lydman at this point.

They've got to keep him up...but I'm so conditioned by the Bills idiotic decision-making at this point that I expect ALL Buffalo sports teams to do the stupidest thing possible.

If you have watched the Sabres play this month, then you KNOW he's going to stay. The WHOLE season. He is that good.

Not to mention, he replaced Vlasic as one of my defensemen in my fantasy hockey league...!!! :rolleyes:

Hopefully that doesn't put you in a pickle in the future