Steve Phillips former Mets GM, now ESPNer

Beerball

Thanks for that. I do like Vaccaro's column in the Post.

Stories like that remind me of reading (through tears) Klapisch & Harper's infamous 'Worst Team Money Could Buy'. Always thought that was a facinating account not only of the destruction of the Mets but of the daily routine of the ballclub and local media that followed it in the pre-net age.

....so the METS are the Buffalo Bill's of MLB?? :thumbsup:

though the METS do have a couple of WS wins..

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....so the METS are the Buffalo Bill's of MLB?? :censored:

Let's see. Poor personnel decisions, CYA-motivated GM, lousy game-day coaches, under-performing 'stars', overpaid role players........naaah. Mets and Bills are nothing alike.

:thumbsup:

Not to mention spending tens of millions on the likes of Mo Vaughn, Roberto Alomar and Bobby Bonilla. But hey, at least he traded away Jason Bay.

:thumbsup:

Jason Bay was in the Mets organization? Please tell me you're joking.

I actually have fond memories of Phillips' reign as the Mets GM--that's back when I actually used to follow the team and baseball (e.g., guys like Ordonez, Alfonso, Piazza, Turk Wendell, Dennis Cook, Benitez, Ventura, Bernard Gilkie, Jay Payton--those were some decent players). Now, I could care less.

Jason Bay was in the Mets organization? Please tell me you're joking.

I actually have fond memories of Phillips' reign as the Mets GM--that's back when I actually used to follow the team and baseball (e.g., guys like Ordonez, Alfonso, Piazza, Turk Wendell, Dennis Cook, Benitez, Ventura, Bernard Gilkie, Jay Payton--those were some decent players). Now, I could care less.

no ****...I had no idea....

Bay experienced success as a player very early, playing on a Trail team that reached the 1990 Little League World Series. In 1999 he played for the Chatham Athletics in the Cape Cod Baseball League. He was drafted by the Montreal Expos in the 22nd round of the 2000 Major League Baseball Draft from Gonzaga University and was assigned to the Expos' Short-Season A team in Burlington, Vermont (The Vermont Expos). In 2001, Bay was assigned to the Expos’ High Single-A team in Jupiter. He began the year slowly, and in May he was moved to Clinton of the Midwest League. Bay reached base in his first 26 games, then went on to hit .362 and win the league batting title. In all, he batted .315 with 14 homers and 75 RBIs on the year. He was dealt to the New York Mets on March 24, 2002, for Lou Collier. The Mets dealt him to the San Diego Padres for Jason Middlebrook at the 2002 trading deadline. He debuted with the Padres on May 23, 2003, getting his first major league hit, a home run, in the 9th inning. Two days later, he suffered a broken right wrist after a hit by pitch.

Thanks for that. I do like Vaccaro's column in the Post.

Stories like that remind me of reading (through tears) Klapisch & Harper's infamous 'Worst Team Money Could Buy'. Always thought that was a facinating account not only of the destruction of the Mets but of the daily routine of the ballclub and local media that followed it in the pre-net age.

I love that book, I love how they describe Vince Coleman saying, "he is so miserable, he is as miserable as a guy could possibly be making 6 million dollars a year."

Seriously. Who the hell thinks it's a good idea to ruin your entire family life for that? Phillips needs help.

Assuming that his family life wasn't already in shambles. But anyway, I'm a bit confused why it matters what the girl looks like when she's hiding under a desk the entire time.

Yikes. She's not even close to hot. You'd think he could do better than that.

I usually stay out of the hot/ugly-girl, great/awful music & movie threads...because what is beautiful to me, may not be for everyone else..and that's cool..but, that chick, looks like Mickey Rourke in Barfly..and that ain't cool.