Is this the least talented quarterback controversy in Bills history?

Maefster88

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm assuming this is sarcasm. Is it? Or do you really want history to repeat itself with another Bills QB draft?

well, trading for a proven QB id pretty tough to do. I think they need to make other changes first, but why not look in the later rounds for possibilities so the next coach has something to work with..

This got me thinking today...is this the worst two quarterbacks that could be battling for playing time in team history. I'm not talking about the locker room dividing type controversy (flutie vs. johnson) im talking just strictly performance/talent wise.

i began to watch the Bills during the beginning of the Kelly era so i'm not sure about much before him but here is what i am thinking are the worst

Todd Collins vs. Alex Van Pelt (may have also involved Billy Joe Hobert if he read his playbook)

Alex Van Pelt vs. Rob Johnson

J.P. Losman vs. Kelly Holcomb

2007 + 2008

Trent Edwards vs. J.P. Losman

Trent Edwards vs. Ryan Fitzpatrick

before anyone tries to defend Edwards or Losman remember that we have had one of the worst offenses in the NFL statistically every season they have started, not to mention team history... fact not fiction, they deserve to be in this conversation.

I personally never felt more hopeless as a Bills fan then the Gregg Williams led 3-13 Bills season with AVP and Rob Johnson, but this season could prove pretty ugly to watch out of the quarterback position

We have a controversy?

well, trading for a proven QB id pretty tough to do. I think they need to make other changes first, but why not look in the later rounds for possibilities so the next coach has something to work with..

Trading for one is tough; and Ralph won't spend money on a free agent. So I guess the draft is the only place to get a QB. All the more reason I hate the Jets for losing yesterday.

We have a controversy?

Yeah...but it's more of a "which one sucks worse?" controversy.

Although the most amusing thing about it is pondering how the rabid Fitzpatrick supporters right now would turn on him 15 games from now when this franchise has turned him into Captain Checkdown.

There is no controversy. Edwards is starting when he gets back unless Fitz manages to have a great game. I will make one last stab at defending JP though.Remember the season he was either 7-9th in the NFL in terms of QB rating. He had a 97.

Since we're bringing up complete irrelevencies, I'd like to take a moment to defend Todd Collins as well... :unsure:

Since we're bringing up complete irrelevencies, I'd like to take a moment to defend Todd Collins as well... :unsure:

Speaking of "Clod" he came into the Washington game yesterday replacing an ineffective Ramsey. I didn't even know he was still in the league.

There is no controversy. Edwards is starting when he gets back unless Fitz manages to have a great game. I will make one last stab at defending JP though.Remember the season he was either 7-9th in the NFL in terms of QB rating. He had a 97.

Agreed! Controversy pretty strongly says there is an argument over which QB is capable of doing the job of leading the Bills to the playoff. The classic controversy was that there were those who credibly believed Flutie not only could be the QB of a Bills team which made the playoffs (fact is he did this) but there was a controversy as to how deep the team would go into the playoffs under his leadership vs. how far the team would go under RJ being the QB.

As RJ in fact left the field with the lead and it took the HomeRun Throw-up to beat the Bills one could credibly argue RJ was the man.

In this case, it is really hard for anyone to credibly argue that either Edwards or Fitz is gonna lead this team to even a playoff berth much less that the team is even a remote threat to go deep in the playoffs.

My sense is that of the various QB debates in the past, the worst debate as to who might lead the team into the playoffs was the lowpoint of the AVP cs. TC debate. There was a point after the Bills got shellacked by the Pats at home against NE in what I believe was the 98 or 97 season that TC could ot credibly be called a savior and AVP was revealed to be an awesome relief guy but not a difficult starter to defend that was the previous low point.

Right now no one can credibly claim Edwards has the staying power to last a whole season and Fitz is not a credible choice to be a consistent winner in this league.

I think after that Pats game it was pretty clear neither AVP nor TC was a credible case of being the savior.

To some extent, it is the same as the argument is pretty clear in both cases that there was no savior.

Yeah...but it's more of a "which one sucks worse?" controversy.

Although the most amusing thing about it is pondering how the rabid Fitzpatrick supporters right now would turn on him 15 games from now when this franchise has turned him into Captain Checkdown.

pathetic choices this year

speaking of pathetic you newbies who are pondering Edwards v Fitzpatrick should look up Ferragamo v Mathison, or Shaw v a young James Harris or Darragh v Rutkowski v Stephenson v Flores.

That's right sports fans in a single year the Bills QBs were Darragh, Rutkowski, Stephenson and Flores. Darragh started 7 games that year and had the best winning percentage going 1-6.