Unions hate Baucus Reform Bill

Magox

These guys are the main reason why the U.S has been shipping off jobs overseas over the past couple decades, and now they are demanding the "public option" .

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...id=asRzBcIRCcog

-- Twenty-seven U.S. labor unions defied White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel and announced their opposition to the $829 billion health-care measure passed yesterday by the Senate Finance Committee.

The unions say in a full-page newspaper advertisement today that lawmakers need to make “substantial” changes to the bill or they will urge their members to seek its defeat on the Senate floor. Emanuel asked organized labor not to go public in opposition, said Gerald McEntee, president of the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees.

It should be an interesting couple months to see the liberal locotoads battle it out with the Blue Dogs. My money is with the Blue Dogs, either way, we all lose, unless of course you are on the bottom 30% of income earners in the U.S

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

These guys are the main reason why the U.S has been shipping off jobs overseas over the past couple decades, and now they are demanding the "public option" .

-- Twenty-seven U.S. labor unions defied White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel and announced their opposition to the $829 billion health-care measure passed yesterday by the Senate Finance Committee.

The unions say in a full-page newspaper advertisement today that lawmakers need to make “substantial” changes to the bill or they will urge their members to seek its defeat on the Senate floor. Emanuel asked organized labor not to go public in opposition, said Gerald McEntee, president of the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees.

It should be an interesting couple months to see the liberal locotoads battle it out with the Blue Dogs. My money is with the Blue Dogs, either way, we all lose, unless of course you are on the bottom 30% of income earners in the U.S

I can see why they don't like this version what with the tax on premium plans, but do they really think that a public option would reduce costs? Nothing the government does is cheaper than private industry. If the unions were smart they would be against the government getting involved except for some tweaking of laws. Tort reform and being able to purchase plans across state lines would go a long way in keeping costs down without reducing quality of care.

I can see why they don't like this version what with the tax on premium plans, but do they really think that a public option would reduce costs? Nothing the government does is cheaper than private industry. If the unions were smart they would be against the government getting involved except for some tweaking of laws. Tort reform and being able to purchase plans across state lines would go a long way in keeping costs down without reducing quality of care.

They are a bunch of self serving !@#$s who don't care about the overall good of the nation, all that matters to them is taking care of "one of their own".

In regards to Tort reform and intrastate competition, that would only make too much sense, but over the weekend I was watching State of the Union with John King (btw fantastic show) and Debbie Stabenow of Michigan nor Robert Casey of Pennsylvania would agree with a bill with Tort reform. So we might as well cancel that idea out, it's not gonna happen.

If Olympia Snow was smart, she would know that her vote is one of the most important votes out there, and that she should demand Tort reform and intrastate competiton in exchange for her vote, but I have a feeling she won't do it.

I so love their opposition. They hate others when they have golden eggs but when their little pile of riches is threatened, time to get riled up.

You'll note that some proposals exempted union plans from the tax. That will probably find its way back into the final bill.

They are a bunch of self serving !@#$s who don't care about the overall good of the nation, all that matters to them is taking care of "one of their own".

In regards to Tort reform and intrastate competition, that would only make too much sense, but over the weekend I was watching State of the Union with John King (btw fantastic show) and Debbie Stabenow of Michigan nor Robert Casey of Pennsylvania would agree with a bill with Tort reform. So we might as well cancel that idea out, it's not gonna happen.

If Olympia Snow was smart, she would know that her vote is one of the most important votes out there, and that she should demand Tort reform and intrastate competiton in exchange for her vote, but I have a feeling she won't do it.

It is a shame that the trial lawyers have so much clout with their political contributions. Slightly off subject, but political contributions are the cause of so much wrong doing and pain in this country that I'm sick over even the thought of what they have done. A few hundred thousand dollars from Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae along with the de facto power given ACORN with the Community Reinvest Act has cost the people of this country trillions of dollars with a lot of heartache ahead..

It's my understanding that Snowe is against a public option, but will support a trigger. With Republicans like her, who needs Democrats?

In the end, Obama will absolutely make sure the unions get what they want, as is evidence by his promise to "paint the world purple with SEIU." Why, it seems like only yesterday when California was trimming its budget, and cutting salaries for some SEIU members, and Obama called our governor and told him that if he didn't return those wages to SEIU that California would not receive its stimulus money.

Obama is the union. The union is Obama. They get what they want, including their own car company. Anyone who thinks the unions and Obama aren't larynx-deep with each other's choad is only fooling themselves.

Its all cover your a$$.

The unions have a tough choice, support Obama who they helped elect and push this through, thereby screwing their members due to the Cadillac plan tax, or oppose it and lose influence in Washington as the ones who helped kill healthcare. They chose option C, call for a public option, which they know people don't want, but the radical left does. The public option goes in the final bill and the final bill loses to the Reps and Blue Dog Dems.

Same with Snow. She came out supporting the Senate Finance Committee bill, saying she's making history. The public option, which she already opposed, will be in the final bill that she can then vote against and say its because of the public option. She looks like the moderate Rep who tried for healthcare reform to Maine voters (who may favor reform with no public option, I have no idea).

Friggin' hypocrites, every single one of them.

YUP, we're the MAIN reason. HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :unsure::thumbsup:

I'm pretty new to this board, but have read several of your posts and feel dumber for it. Are you really this stupid or are you just having fun feigning it and yanking peoples chains?

Hang on, he's checking with his union rep to see if he's allowed to tell you that he's really that stupid.

That's because both parties say "Good for America" when they mean "Good for people who keep us in power and money". And with the partisan retards in the electorate, they're all but guaranteed to stay there and continue to erode America away.

I'm pretty new to this board, but have read several of your posts and feel dumber for it. Are you really this stupid or are you just having fun feigning it and yanking peoples chains?

He's not stupid as much as unquestioningly and slavishly pro-union...

...oh, wait. Same thing. Never mind.

Wow, that was original. Thanks for posting and wasting time.

Hang on, he's checking with his union rep to see if he's allowed to tell you that he's really that stupid.

And this comes from the moron who can't understand that I do not have a union rep. I work for the union, I am not a member of the union. I have stated this many times before.

I will not ever apologize for being pro-union. I have seen the good that can be had by having union representation. Yes, unions do have a bad side as well. Have stated those items in the past as well. However, to blindly blame a union or unions as a whole for the problems of industry is just dumb.

One would think that someone who claims they are very smart and great in business would be able to read and understand that.

And this comes from the moron who can't understand that I do not have a union rep. I work for the union, I am not a member of the union. I have stated this many times before.

Why is it that you do not unionize then? Surely your employer the union would appreciate nothing more than to deal with it's employees through collective bargaining labor law, with the NLB serving as an arbitrator.

Why is it that you do not unionize then? Surely your employer the union would appreciate nothing more than to deal with it's employees through collective bargaining labor law, with the NLB serving as an arbitrator.

I am not a member because I do not work within the industry we represent. Plus, I still enjoy all of the union benefits... just no representation. And since you brought up the union having to deal with collective bargaining... we and other unions actually do have to do deal with that. Our office staff (admin. assistants, secretaries, etc.) are all part of OPEIU. We negotiate their contract every three years.

I may actually leave the union for a new opportunity.

I am not a member because I do not work within the industry we represent. Plus, I still enjoy all of the union benefits... just no representation. And since you brought up the union having to deal with collective bargaining... we and other unions actually do have to do deal with that. Our office staff (admin. assistants, secretaries, etc.) are all part of OPEIU. We negotiate their contract every three years.

I may actually leave the union for a new opportunity.

I don't mean join the union you are working for, I mean form your own union. A union of one, if neccessary. That way whenever you need some unpaid time off, you can go on strike asking for a tripling of your salary say. Since it is a labor action they can't punish you for it when you call the strike off, and who knows - the NLB may step in and impose a compromise raise!

I don't mean join the union you are working for, I mean form your own union. A union of one, if neccessary. That way whenever you need some unpaid time off, you can go on strike asking for a tripling of your salary say. Since it is a labor action they can't punish you for it when you call the strike off, and who knows - the NLB may step in and impose a compromise raise!

First off, why would anyone want unpaid time off? Second, I would never want to go on strike. Our union like most unions use striking as an extreme last resort. Strikes are not good for anyone. And finally, wouldn't ask to triple my salary. I'm not greedy. Granted I wish I was paid what I am actually worth, that day will come soon enough. No reason to worry about it, no reason to cry about it. Just continue on working hard and expanding my resume/portfolio.