Unions hate Baucus Reform Bill

Magox

First off, why would anyone want unpaid time off? Second, I would never want to go on strike. Our union like most unions use striking as an extreme last resort. Strikes are not good for anyone. And finally, wouldn't ask to triple my salary. I'm not greedy. Granted I wish I was paid what I am actually worth, that day will come soon enough. No reason to worry about it, no reason to cry about it. Just continue on working hard and expanding my resume/portfolio.

Are you serious? You've never met people who want to work when they need the cash, and want to stay home or run off to Vegas for a week when they don't? The temp agencies are full of them. And at the other end of the spectrum what about those workers who, though diligent, would rather work half-time for half-pay?

And as for not wanting to make any more money than you already do, that is quite noble of you. And I'm sure you are correct, nobody would ever game the system to get a raise.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you serious? You've never met people who want to work when they need the cash, and want to stay home or run off to Vegas for a week when they don't? The temp agencies are full of them. And at the other end of the spectrum what about those workers who, though diligent, would rather work half-time for half-pay?

And as for not wanting to make any more money than you already do, that is quite noble of you. And I'm sure you are correct, nobody would ever game the system to get a raise.

Ok you got me. Never heard of either of those types of people... especially the people who want to work half-time for half-pay.

I would like to make more money than I currently do, who wouldn't? I said I am not the type of person that will sit there and B word and moan about it.

Some are, some aren't. Who do you blame for the ones, such as yourself, that are not?

With my profession a lot of people here really have no clue how things are done and what goes into each project. Which leads into not understanding the worth.

With my profession a lot of people here really have no clue how things are done and what goes into each project. Which leads into not understanding the worth.

So you work for the Bills? Awesome! :wallbash:

No wait...dont' tell me, it's a government job.

Seriously why would you even consider that type of work environment?

So you work for the Bills? Awesome! :wallbash:

No wait...dont' tell me, it's a government job.

Seriously why would you even consider that type of work environment?

Benefits and since I grew up in a union family. Wanted to work for a union.

And there you have it folks...brainwashed.

So if the job sucks, as long as it's union it's good by you?

Brainwashed. No. Job itself is actually very good. Benefits are outstanding.

As a good worker I have taken on everything that has been asked of me even though a lot of doesn't fall under my job description, which is cool since I have learned new things, furthered my education. However, the bad thing is that the pay didn't increase with it. And with a family, money is always needed.

Ok you got me. Never heard of either of those types of people... especially the people who want to work half-time for half-pay.

I can't tell whether you are serious or not - you don't have the chain-yanking rep of ieatcrayonz...

It is one of the ironies of success. Suppose you are 40 or 50, and making 200k. It's not unusual to begin to lose some interest in your job, especially if it is a big corporation, law firm, or the government. Sure you still like it and want to keep your hand in things, but it no longer seems worth devoting your life to. What if you could work 20 hours a week for 100k instead? Show up a couple of days a week, have time to potter around the house, spend time with the kids before they graduate, while still making comfortable money? You would still have the benefits and insurance too. Who wouldn't want that?

I think it is a quite common desire among those who have reached their career, earning and promotion peaks. I know alot of lawyers and businessmen who would throttle back if their firms would allow, and it is even more common in government. Show me a GS-15 who is not on the senior management track, and I'll show you somebody who is angling for a part-time position at half pay...

I can't tell whether you are serious or not - you don't have the chain-yanking rep of ieatcrayonz...

It is one of the ironies of success. Suppose you are 40 or 50, and making 200k. It's not unusual to begin to lose some interest in your job, especially if it is a big corporation, law firm, or the government. Sure you still like it and want to keep your hand in things, but it no longer seems worth devoting your life to. What if you could work 20 hours a week for 100k instead? Show up a couple of days a week, have time to potter around the house, spend time with the kids before they graduate, while still making comfortable money? You would still have the benefits and insurance too. Who wouldn't want that?

I think it is a quite common desire among those who have reached their career, earning and promotion peaks. I know alot of lawyers and businessmen who would throttle back if their firms would allow, and it is even more common in government. Show me a GS-15 who is not on the senior management track, and I'll show you somebody who is angling for a part-time position at half pay...

I don't know too many $200k people working a 40 hour week and probably fewer making $200k that would be satisfied with $100k no matter how fewer hours they work. But then again I'm in a pretty competative business my wife works for a law firm and they have incredible lifestyles to maintain. But I will tell you we were in the British Virgin Islands last year and my wife and I met two women in a bar on the beach. They were nurses and they were camping on the island. They saved a bunch of money and just split. When the run out they'll just head back to the states and reload. My wife and I always say "why don't we just run away like thoses nurses did." Unfortunately most of our money is in qualified retirement plans otherwise we could probably do it and never have to return.

Seriously never heard of people that would want to do that. Most of the people I know just work their 40-60 hours a week and are happy. I do see where you are coming from though. No one in their right mind would turn down an opportunity to work only 20 hours and make $100k.

Seriously never heard of people that would want to do that. Most of the people I know just work their 40-60 hours a week and are happy. I do see where you are coming from though. No one in their right mind would turn down an opportunity to work only 20 hours and make $100k.

You're kidding right? :wallbash:

That is a loser's mentality. Or at least a 20 year olds.

You're kidding right? :wallbash:

That is a loser's mentality. Or at least a 20 year olds.

I heard a comedian recently making jokes about companies that allow you get rich from home. He basically says "I saw that commercial where the woman was saying 'I made over $100,000 working part-time from home,' and I'm thinking, if you're making that much working part-time, how come you're not doing it full-time?"

Yes - and it goes without saying that this is a phenomena of those who at half pay are still making plenty.

There is another angle to this too. Professionals are working later and later in life, in part because it is difficult to let go entirely of that which defined them and was the center of their lives for so long. These are the people who can retire but want to keep working to 'keep a hand in things.' They want the same job, surrounded by people and activities they are comfortable with, but for only two or three days a week.

I heard a comedian recently making jokes about companies that allow you get rich from home. He basically says "I saw that commercial where the woman was saying 'I made over $100,000 working part-time from home,' and I'm thinking, if you're making that much working part-time, how come you're not doing it full-time?"

I had one of my guys come to me a couple of year ago and say "you know Jim, I made really good money this year pretty much working part-time." My response "I'm aware of that, and why are you telling me this?" His response "I'm going to work more hours every week next year and double my income." That's who I want on my team. :wallbash:

Yes - and it goes without saying that this is a phenomena of those who at half pay are still making plenty.

There is another angle to this too. Professionals are working later and later in life, in part because it is difficult to let go entirely of that which defined them and was the center of their lives for so long. These are the people who can retire but want to keep working to 'keep a hand in things.' They want the same job, surrounded by people and activities they are comfortable with, but for only two or three days a week.

Well, being retired and doing that is totally common. I'm just saying that I do not know anyone who does that. Everyone works their 40+ hours a week and is happy.