A look at the potential future

OnTheRocks

2010 QB class - From The Sporting News today

Tuesday, Oct. 13, 2009 - 1:36 a.m. ET

Sporting News draft expert Russ Lande and his team of former NFL scouts say there is more bark than bite in the quarterback Class of 2010. As in, there are a lot of big names, but only Sam Bradford is a surefire elite prospect.

Oklahoma QB Sam Bradford.1. Sam Bradford, Oklahoma (junior)

Upside: He is a good athlete who throws quickly and accurately. If he can stay healthy, he has the talent to become an elite NFL quarterback. He has more of a Tom Brady arm‹it¹s good but not strong like Peyton Manning's.

Downside: He has a slight frame and needs to prove he can stay healthy. He must adjust to reading defenses and making adjustments and audibles‹before the snap and during the play.

Projection: If his shoulder checks out, he could be the first overall pick.

2. Tony Pike, Cincinnati

Upside: He is tall and athletic, with the rocket arm to become a top-flight NFL quarterback with improved mechanics and consistency.

Downside: He must improve his footwork. He never really worked hard until spring of '08, a red flag because NFL quarterbacks without a great work ethic usually flame out.

Projection: He has the physical talent to be a mid-to-late first-round pick, but first he¹ll have to answer a lot of tough questions.

3. Jimmy Clausen, Notre Dame (junior)

Upside: He has a quick release, good arm and great touch. His performance, especially in the clutch, has improved dramatically in '09.

Downside: He gambles too much, perhaps because Notre Dame always is in a shootout. He must learn to accept checkdown receivers.

Projection: He currently projects as a mid-to-late first-round pick but could fly up draft boards in the spring.

4. Colt McCoy, Texas

Upside: He has outstanding intangibles, natural athleticism and accuracy. He fits best in a West Coast system, a la Jeff Garcia.

Downside: He lacks the arm strength to make all the NFL throws and could end up being nothing more than an NFL backup because of it.

5. Tim Tebow, Florida

Upside: He has elite physical tools and could be an elite NFL quarterback if he can greatly improve his mechanics.

Downside: He has no experience playing in a pro-style offense, which requires making reads while dropping back. He might never develop into an accurate passer.

Projection: He is a third-round prospect who likely will go in the first round because he is sure to wow personnel men with his arm strength, athleticism and personality.

6. Dan LeFevour, Central Michigan

Upside: He can make big plays with his arm and feet. He is an accurate passer who makes good decisions and has the physical tools to become a versatile and productive NFL starter.

Downside: He struggles to get good zip on intermediate and downfield throws. Like Tebow, he plays in a spread-option offense and must learn to play in a pro-style scheme. Unless he¹s able to improve his arm strength and release, he might only be an NFL backup.

Projection: He projects as a fourth- or fifth-round pick, which actually is ideal because he won't be rushed into action like Tebow is certain to be as a high pick.

Player profile: Dan LeFevour

7. Jake Locker, Washington (junior)

Upside: He is a big-time athlete with the quickness and speed and a strong arm. If he¹s able to improve his footwork and mechanics, he could become a Donovan McNabb-like QB.

Downside: He is inaccurate and inconsistent, and without great improvement never will be more than an NFL backup.

Projection: He definitely should stay in school and work on his mechanics and accuracy. If he comes out early, he'll be a fifth-round pick. He has a lot of work to do before being ready to play in the NFL.

No way Bradford comes out this year, not after that injury.

I don't know. As long as he plays well and that shoulder doesn't cause him any problems, I think he's a lock to declare for 2010. He already screwed up once by not declaring for the '09 draft and I'm sure he saw million$ of dollars flash before his eyes when he got hurt in that first game. I doubt he takes the chance again.

I don't know. As long as he plays well and that shoulder doesn't cause him any problems, I think he's a lock to declare for 2010. He already screwed up once by not declaring for the '09 draft and I'm sure he saw million$ of dollars flash before his eyes when he got hurt in that first game. I doubt he takes the chance again.

Obviously a lot depends on the rest of the season. He did look a little tentative to me in his first game back, but numbers dont lie...he still was very productive.

Whether it be Bradford or McCoy, hell I'd be happy. I want a true LEADER at QB, not this wishy-washy "just trying my best" attitude I've seen over the last decade.

Actually this year (even more so if Bradford decides to come out) is considered one of the best top-to-bottom QB classes in years.

The article states that this class has more bark than bite so the author and its scouts don't think so.

If the class of 2010 truly has, as the article states, 'more bark than bite', best to keep building both lines - then take one of the Texas Tech boys (Potts or Sheffield) in round 7 of the 2011 draft...

Steven Sheffield

...will likely have set new NCAA records for passing YDs & TDs by then.

Yeah, with "big time" Mike Leach molding his career, the sky's the limit!

190 lbs of awesome!

As long as the Bills play Rice, New Mexico, North Dakota and Kansas State--this kid might be just the right guy!

Clausen is a d-bag, but so is Jay Cutler, and I'd take Cutler in a heartbeat. Clausen has looked pretty good this year from what I've seen.

The more I read about Pike, the more I think I need to watch some of his games.

If the class of 2010 truly has, as the article states, 'more bark than bite', best to keep building both lines - then take one of the Texas Tech boys (Potts or Sheffield) in round 7 of the 2011 draft...

Steven Sheffield

No QB's from TexASS Tech. They all suck in the NFL. It is a gimmick offense down there.

Steven Sheffield

Does your crusade ever end?