New GM choices?

qwksilver

The wanted list for a new coach is pretty easy, Cower, Gruden, Shanahan, etc. The real question is who will be available for the soon to be open GM position @ One Bills Drive?

I wouldn't mind an ex coach (like the ones mentioned above) as a GM with a OC like Russ GRimm as HC.

WHo on the short list for GM?

Charley Casserly would be nice, but I doubt Ralph would hire a real football man as the GM. He'd rather just let the marketing extraordinaire make the key football decisions.

Okay that's one I forgot about. Williams is def better than Bush, he took a lot of crappola for that pick and he was right!

I was also thinkng about Ron Wolf from the Packers but he may be retired.

Charley Casserly would be nice, but I doubt Ralph would hire a real football man as the GM. He'd rather just let the marketing extraordinaire make the key football decisions.

Seriously? I'm not giving Brandon a pass, but how do people actually think he makes the "football" decisions? Are people that clueless on how a company operates? I'm sure Brandon is involved, but there's three guys who *make* that decision and they've been in charge longer than Brandon:

Jim Overdorf (<--it's him folks, start aiming correctly, please)

Tom Modrak

John Guy

IF Brandon goes, fine, but I know at work my boss has authority over other departments, but he "signs off" on their decisions. He's still responsible, but can we try getting rid of the entrenched "football minds" first. They've been here throughout this futility.

We've had GMs, Coaches and QBs change. Do you think another one is going to make a difference until these guys go?

Seriously? I'm not giving Brandon a pass, but how do people actually think he makes the "football" decisions? Are people that clueless on how a company operates? I'm sure Brandon is involved, but there's three guys who *make* that decision and they've been in charge longer than Brandon:

Tom Modrak

John Guy

IF Brandon goes, fine, but I know at work my boss has authority over other departments, but he "signs off" on their decisions. He's still responsible, but can we try getting rid of the entrenched "football minds" first. They've been here throughout this futility.

We've had GMs, Coaches and QBs change. Do you think another one is going to make a difference until these guys go?

Overdorf does contracts! Modrak is the so called draftnik. Guy is our free agent "guru". And poor little russ is supposed to make sure these 3 stooges are doing what they are supposed to. Of course they all say Yes yes to Russ, then Russ says Yes yes to Ralph.

Tom Modrak

John Guy

What kind of crack rock are you smoking?

Overdorf does contracts. That's it.

Modrak and Guy are the real culprits.

Overdorf does contracts! Modrak is the so called draftnik. Guy is our free agent "guru". And poor little russ is supposed to make sure these 3 stooges are doing what they are supposed to. Of course they all say Yes yes to Russ, then Russ says Yes yes to Ralph.

My sentiments, exactly.

Overdorf is responsible...what a nut.

Nice pick up!!!!

Let's see, he was with the Bills in '04, '05, and '06 as our national scout.

Maybe you can help me here...who exactly did he draft in those 3 seasons that is on this current "team", that is worth a damn?

The wanted list for a new coach is pretty easy, Cower, Gruden, Shanahan, etc. The real question is who will be available for the soon to be open GM position @ One Bills Drive?

I wouldn't mind an ex coach (like the ones mentioned above) as a GM with a OC like Russ GRimm as HC.

WHo on the short list for GM?

I think Carl Peterson would provide stability, be realistically available (unlike those listed above), be able to deal with Ralph, and be an outstanding fit.

Tom Modrak

John Guy

Overdorf is the contract negotiator and Cap guy not the one pulling all the strings.

I think Carl Peterson would provide stability, be realistically available (unlike those listed above), be able to deal with Ralph, and be an outstanding fit.

Sorry pal, have lived in KC for 14 years and King Carl couldn't get out of here fast enough. Couldn't draft a d- lineman to save his life and never meant a second round pick he couldn't screw up. Although, Lamar Hunt trusted him and Ralph and Lamar were tight. King Carl's first pick for HC would be Marty Schottenheimer, so maybe you have something there.

Sorry pal, have lived in KC for 14 years and King Carl couldn't get out of here fast enough. Couldn't draft a d- lineman to save his life and never meant a second round pick he couldn't screw up. Although, Lamar Hunt trusted him and Ralph and Lamar were tight. King Carl's first pick for HC would be Marty Schottenheimer, so maybe you have something there.

Yeah, that thought re: Schottenheimer crossed my mind too. I could live with some of the above that you mentioned at this point. I'm just trying to keep my expectations (and hopes) realistic -- borrowing from Rick Pittino, Bill Cowher, Jon Gruden and Mike Shanahan ain't walking through that door.

Let's see, he was with the Bills in '04, '05, and '06 as our national scout.

Maybe you can help me here...who exactly did he draft in those 3 seasons that is on this current "team", that is worth a damn?

he didn't make the draft choices...how have the giants drafted the last few years...pretty damn well thanks i'll stand by my choice

To pick a GM, Ralph should consider what type team he wants to build.

Considering that the Bills play in the northeast, a team with strong offensive and defensive lines, a strong running game, and an attacking defense seems the way to go.

Next he should find teams in the NFL that play that style of football, and then interview the top scouting/player development guys for the job.

In other words, he should raid the Giants, Ravens, Vikings, or Titans scouting departments.

Tom Modrak

John Guy

Agreed. I honestly don't have a problem with Russ, and all fans owe him for keeping those seats filled prior to him taking over the glorified GM role.

Also, let's not forget that these talent evaluators (god or pathetic) are having to find players to fit within Limp Dick's systems- the Cockameeny Cover-2 and the Confusion Offense. If we didn't have a truly stupid defense (especially) we could have traded up for Pat Willis and sealed the deal on Haloti Ngata. How you let these two killers slip thru- I don't get it... but it's not Brandon's fault. Nobody can confidently say that going into this season that Brandon had the power to can Limp Dick. He accepted the offer to take over the restaurant, because it's a natural progession, but he was stuck with crappy Chef. Thank God it's America.

I think it would be a mistake to assume your GM must have been an NFL coach. Not saying that is a bad quality for a GM by any means -- just saying there are other paths to becoming a successful GM. Consider Bill Polian's path - http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/gi_0199-62...nd-winding.html. Now his path did include a bit of collegiate coaching, but it was just a small piece of how he became who he was. A GM has to be well-traveled, a businessman, a deal maker, a salesman, have an eye for talent, and understand the game, too. He's got to have ALL of these abilities and not simply be an ex-coach.

People keep saying we need a football guy in charge. That's only good if that person knows what they are doing. What if three years ago RW put a "football guy" in charge like John Guy. Would we be better today? As was earlier stated, very likely football decisions; who to draft, what free agents to sign are made by TM and JG respectively. RB probably will give the final approval, or if there's a asplit decision, may weigh in or get the opinion of others. But I highly doubt he's making very many football decisions. A number of posters have also commented what a great draft we had this past spring. Now everyone is ripping TM. Which is it, did TM have a good draft or not?? The same person now we want ot run out of town. Actually I think TM has done alright with his drafts, maybe not great where as JG has been horrific.

I kind of like having a non-football person over seeing everything as he's less likely to have some pre-concieved opinion and likely will listen more to input from others. Is it bad that a non football guy is giving the final approval as I suggest? Only if the reccommendations he's given are bad. Would a football person be in a better position to know he's being given bad advice? Yes absolutely, but if a football person were in charge, the people under him like TM and JG are most likely going to be giving advice that they know will be accepted by the boss. Just like any company, they become the bosses "Yes men" TM and JG were both reporting to a football man in TD, how's those years work out.

Having said all that, it's very likely that if the Bills were to bring in a football person, that new person would become the GM and RB may become the president. RW claimed that after TD, the problem was he let one person have too much power, and he wouldn't repeat that mistake. Well having RB be the president and someone else GM still leaves some checks and balances in the system.

Agreed. I honestly don't have a problem with Russ, and all fans owe him for keeping those seats filled prior to him taking over the glorified GM role.

Also, let's not forget that these talent evaluators (god or pathetic) are having to find players to fit within Limp Dick's systems- the Cockameeny Cover-2 and the Confusion Offense. If we didn't have a truly stupid defense (especially) we could have traded up for Pat Willis and sealed the deal on Haloti Ngata. How you let these two killers slip thru- I don't get it... but it's not Brandon's fault. Nobody can confidently say that going into this season that Brandon had the power to can Limp Dick. He accepted the offer to take over the restaurant, because it's a natural progession, but he was stuck with crappy Chef. Thank God it's America.

Considering that the Bills play in the northeast, a team with strong offensive and defensive lines, a strong running game, and an attacking defense seems the way to go.

Is there magical part of the country where a weak offensive line, a weak defensive line, a weak running game, and laid-back defensive scheme can be successful?

I know what you're saying -- you'd better be able to run and stop the run on a blustery December day, but sound football is sound football in all corners of the country.