Peter King on Dick Jauron

5. I think this is what you need to know about coaching situations this morning:

a. Dick Jauron would need a miracle to keep his job in Buffalo, but know this about Ralph Wilson: He has not made an in-season firing of a coach since Hank Bullough 23 years ago. Wilson kept Gregg Williams to the bitter end of a 6-10 season in 2003, Mike Mularkey to the end of a 5-11 season in 2005.

This team is awful, but would Perry Fewell or Bobby April be suitable interim guys for the last couple of months? I don't see Wilson doing it, but he's got to be near despondent over how horribly wrong things have gone since a spirited opening night performance at Foxboro.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...l#ixzz0TkXBEzNm

Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...eek5/index.html

This article is spot on...firing Dick Jauron would only be a matter of principle and would make the situation even worse. I wouldn't mind seeing a proven GM brought in to get a head start on evaluating the team though, that way it would make the offseason transition a little less daunting. Can anyone recall if this has happened before??

Why does anyone think that firing Jauron or Brandon would make any difference? The man at the top wants cheap yes-men who will accept losing without making too much noise. Accept what you see because it is not going to change. 10 consecutive years of dismal failure is not an accident.

but he is the same guy who got lucky once when hiring bill polian. why can't ralph get lucky again? all we have is that hope, that somehow, ralph stumbles onto another bill polian and gives him full control. hopefully this can happen without ralph appointing any of his other daughters to lead scouting positions

I wish Ralph would just sell the Bills to Kelly and Co and be done with his role in them. He had his day and unless he gets aggressive and makes whole sale changes beginning with the front office and coach, I can't believe I am saying the this but Marcy Darcy looks competent compared to these smucks. :wallbash::cry::wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

I've said it before, I'll say it again... as bad as the Bills look to the fans, as long as RW keeps hearing the cha ching of the cash register and games keep selling out, merchandise keeps moving, he won't make a coaching change.

Lets face it, we don't have an owner like the Bronco's Pat Bowlen who wants to win and is committed to his team making the payoffs every year or else, we have Scrooge.

...and if we wanna be honest, if the Pats had just held onto all those throws in the first half, they'd have killed us.

Soooooo true.

That's one of the reasons I got so down about the loss, it's not all the time the Patriots gift-wrap so many mistake-driven opportunities.

I don't see firing DJ right now as doing anything (although it would make me very happy). An interim coach wouldn't know the players the team dynamics and the season would go even further down hill. Wait til the end of the season, get a good tough coach on board, new gm and most of the front office and move on.

I don't see firing DJ right now as doing anything (although it would make me very happy). An interim coach wouldn't know the players the team dynamics and the season would go even further down hill. Wait til the end of the season, get a good tough coach on board, new gm and most of the front office and move on.

Nah. Get the new coach hired now, and give him the rest of this season as extra time to evaluate his assistants and players before he has to make any decisions in the offseason. Screw the whole "interim" coach nonsense.

At some point, Ralph will be reminding you to just be happy you have a team and stop your bitching. He'll remind you that your city is bankrupt, that your population is dwindling, that your corporate money is virtually non-existent, that you're now a minor league town, and that you're only being granted the privilege of the precious gift of NFL football because of the incredible selflessness of Ralph Wilson.

Don't even think about not buying his tickets and merchandise or he'll sell them off to Toronto faster than you can beg for his forgiveness. Fall in line, bow at his altar, or suffer the wrath of Ralph as he cuts you off of the pro-football drug to which you are so addicted.

At some point, Ralph will be reminding you to just be happy you have a team and stop your bitching. He'll remind you that your city is bankrupt, that your population is dwindling, that your corporate money is virtually non-existent, that you're now a minor league town, and that you're only being granted the privilege of the precious gift of NFL football because of the incredible selflessness of Ralph Wilson.

Don't even think about not buying his tickets and merchandise or he'll sell them off to Toronto faster than you can beg for his forgiveness. Fall in line, bow at his altar, or suffer the wrath of Ralph as he cuts you off of the pro-football drug to which you are so addicted.

So we either grovel or have no team.

Great choices.

This article is spot on...firing Dick Jauron would only be a matter of principle and would make the situation even worse.

:wallbash:

And how exactly is that possible?...I don't see how it could be anything but good...It sends a message...The Country Club is closed...If some Players tank the rest of the Season it just makes the new HC's decisions easier come 2010... :cry:

This is about 90 percent right ... OK, it's 100 percent right, but in addition to all this, adding to the problem is that Ralph also has a little Al Davis in him and thinks he knows football and whom to hire ... so when he gets lucky and hires someone good, the Bills get good for a little while. When hires the wrong guys over and over, he gets defensive and sticks fans with this stuff about how we are so lucky to have a team. It all may be true, another owner certainly may have moved the team by now ... but that doesn't make it OK the way he is running the team now.

5. I think this is what you need to know about coaching situations this morning:

a. Dick Jauron would need a miracle to keep his job in Buffalo, but know this about Ralph Wilson: He has not made an in-season firing of a coach since Hank Bullough 23 years ago. Wilson kept Gregg Williams to the bitter end of a 6-10 season in 2003, Mike Mularkey to the end of a 5-11 season in 2005.

This team is awful, but would Perry Fewell or Bobby April be suitable interim guys for the last couple of months? I don't see Wilson doing it, but he's got to be near despondent over how horribly wrong things have gone since a spirited opening night performance at Foxboro.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...l#ixzz0TkXBEzNm

Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...eek5/index.html

It bothers me how people (mostly non-Bills fans at this point) keep bringing up that soul-crushing week 1 loss like it's some kind of accomplishment. Hanging your hat on a monumental choke job is about as big a loser mentality as you can get. Maybe you could get excited about moral victories in year one of a new coach's rebuilding (2008 Ravens/Falcons, 2009 Broncos/Jets say hello), but in the 4th year of a coach's tenure? There's no moral victories at that point. The only bad win is one in which a lot of guys get hurt. There are no good losses.

...and if we wanna be honest, if the Pats had just held onto all those throws in the first half, they'd have killed us.

your an idiot or you were blind. if you think the pats outplayed us and deserved to win you are definatly clueless and should be ignored.

we have 7 starters out thats one third of our starters and i say that because judging by your comments you obviously are not very football literate!

your an idiot or you were blind. if you think the pats outplayed us and deserved to win you are definatly clueless and should be ignored.

we have 7 starters out thats one third of our starters and i say that because judging by your comments you obviously are not very football literate!

Why cling to this thought of moral victory. The stats are in the books ans sad to say ... the Bills lost. We, as fans, need to stop playing woulda, coulda, shoulda .... there have been far too many of these under Jauron. He has had his opportunities and it is time to move on. Yes, the loss of seven starters is huge but the Bills have not been competitive against quaility teams at any point during Jauron's tenure. Time to wave good bye.

With 7 regular starters injured, how many inexperienced starters thrown in the fire does that make?

Why does anyone think that firing Jauron or Brandon would make any difference? The man at the top wants cheap yes-men who will accept losing without making too much noise. Accept what you see because it is not going to change. 10 consecutive years of dismal failure is not an accident.

Do we really think he "accepts" losing? Is the financial bottom line more important to him than spending what's needed to at least contend?

I can't decide if you're being serious or sarcastic, but either way, I do agree with your comments and RW would be correct in statrng that. RW has as much Al Davis in him as does Jerry Jones, Snyder, and a host of others. The difference is they have better financial situations to work within. RW absolutely wants to win. But he's not will to spend as much money as others are to get there.

What would happen if RW rasied season ticket prices by $50 per game to be more inline with other teams, how many could afford it and how many would pay it?

I can't decide if you're being serious or sarcastic, but either way, I do agree with your comments and RW would be correct in statrng that. RW has as much Al Davis in him as does Jerry Jones, Snyder, and a host of others. The difference is they have better financial situations to work within. RW absolutely wants to win. But he's not will to spend as much money as others are to get there.

What would happen if RW rasied season ticket prices by $50 per game to be more inline with other teams, how many could afford it and how many would pay it?

Ralph is your master...now bow before him and thank him for the 3 wins he's generous enough to provide an undeserving wretch like you. Dick Jauron is better than you deserve, Trent Edwards is better than you deserve, and Ross Brandon is better than you deserve. You are nothing but a sorry, 2nd rate loser who probably doesn't deserve a UFL team much less an NFL product. Get off your high horse and appreciate every little morsel you get, because the clock is running on you and soon that team will be playing before winners who deserve NFL football. Take your boos and shove them up your ass...I am all you've got, all you'll ever get, and better than anything you are worth having.

Eat me, Buffalo fan...I could squash you like a depressed, diseased insect at any moment for a tidy profit, and right now all I need is an excuse to do it. You're a hag, a has been, and once I take away this team you'll be nothing but tumbleweed.

:bag:

And how exactly is that possible?...I don't see how it could be anything but good...It sends a message...The Country Club is closed...If some Players tank the rest of the Season it just makes the new HC's decisions easier come 2010... :worthy:

Nah. Get the new coach hired now, and give him the rest of this season as extra time to evaluate his assistants and players before he has to make any decisions in the offseason. Screw the whole "interim" coach nonsense.

How would it make the new HC's decisions easier. Are you assuming the Bills are going to fire Jauron and hire a new head coach midseason??

If the Bills fired Jauron now they would have to promote an assistant coach to interim head coach. While the chances of a top coach coming here this offseason are slim, there is zero chance a top coach (Cowher, Shanahan, Gruden) coming here midseason. Not to mention, all assistants for other teams are off limits, so once again....how will the HC's decisions be easier for 2010??? :w00t:

Also, like I said in my first post, I wouldn't mind seeing a proven GM brought in to get a head start on evaluating the team, so the offseason transition is a little less daunting. However, can you recall the last time this has happened??

The hell with that start over now and get a jump on the rest of the teams for next year. Its not like we have anyone left that can play so why keep juaron? Cut these losses now and let people heal over this crap.

This is about 90 percent right ... OK, it's 100 percent right, but in addition to all this, adding to the problem is that Ralph also has a little Al Davis in him and thinks he knows football and whom to hire ... so when he gets lucky and hires someone good, the Bills get good for a little while. When hires the wrong guys over and over, he gets defensive and sticks fans with this stuff about how we are so lucky to have a team. It all may be true, another owner certainly may have moved the team by now ... but that doesn't make it OK the way he is running the team now.

After the 06 season RW gave his standard response when asked about the future of the team. Something to the effect of just enjoy it while they're here. That's real comforting.

I can't help but think RW is insecure. He won't hire anyone qualified from the outside, nor get rid of underachieving people in the organization, no matter how bad they are. I'll predict right now they won't hire a name coach, because the cost could conceivably hurt the ability to sell when RW passes.

c'mon!!

Woulda, coulda, SHOULDA!

If McElvin had held onto that ball, we would have won!

Oh, please, stop or you might make me cry, you :( ing :censored: er

MWAAA! Play that game again tomorrow and the Pats would annihillate us. Bank it.

NOW ignore me.