Our choice for a head coach next year  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Who should coach the Bills next year

• Jon Gruden
    • Mike Shanahan
    • Bill Cower
    • Mike Holmgren
    • Marty Schottenheimer

I think we let DJ, finish the season...changing coaches mid season wont help anyone.....having said that, who is the top of your coaching wish list for next year and why?

My pick is Mike Shanahan....I think he is the best of the other five coaches....he seems to be a great offensive mind

I think we let DJ, finish the season...changing coaches mid season wont help anyone.....having said that, who is the top of your coaching wish list for next year and why?

My pick is Mike Shanahan....I think he is the best of the other five coaches....he seems to be a great offensive mind

You forgot the most likely choices:

1) DJ

2) Some INEXPENSIVE coordinator that will be set up to FAIL :flirt:

He's had the team for 50 years and had 5 good hires in the coaching/FO Saban, Knox, Levy, Polian and Butler. So our odds aren't very good!

Why is NE capitalized? Not a troll are you.

I voted Shanahan.

You left John Fox off the list.

Also Bobby April.

although its likely, we can't assume that Foxy is going to get fired

And Bobby April's special teams unit is below average so far and he part of the DJ team

I dont think many ppl (if any) at all would choose him over the other 5 candidates

as an interim coach he makes sense

I voted for Marty. But Mike Holmgren is an interesting possibility. Mike has expressed an interest in being coach AND GM. He did it in Seattle for a while with marginal results. We need both, so Mike could be a twofer. I'm not 100% sold on Mike as a HC. He has gone to 3 Super Bowls and is 1-2 and all, but often his teams are really not that good. Had a long run of 8-8/9-7 seasons in Seattle with one 13-3 thrown in. And he can coach in cold weather and find QBs. I'd take him over Dick though.

You forgot to a put an upcoming coordinator that was totally off of everybody's radar & will work for a salary that puts him in the bottom 1% of coaches & when he interviews with Ebenezer Wilson it will be the best interview that old fossil Wilson ever heard.

That is a tough list to choose one over another!

I think any one of those guys would turn this team into a contender and atleast get it to the playoffs (sorry, Marty).

I love Shanahan and Holmgren for their offensive prowess. These two men would get the Bills offense firing on all cylinders.

Cowher, has the right attitude for this club, but his price tag makes him unrealistic and he does own a home in NC...the Panthers seem more a likely fit.

Marty would also be a great coach (with Bills roots), but his continual ineptitude in the playoffs would have me looking at him as a last option.

So, I voted for Gruden. Would Gruden ever come to frigid Buffalo after stints in Oakland and Tampa? Probably not. But I do agree with the players that this team has the best talent in quite some years, they just can't seem to finish. I think that Jauron's "nice guy" attitude may ultimately be to blame, and Gruden is the polar opposite. He would ride Trent so hard Trent would be afraid to go to the sidelines, and would prefer to stay on the field. He would push so many loafers and add that missing element of fire from this club.

The horrifically sad truth is probably Bobby April.

Last I recall, Gruden was canned in Tampa for being too hard on the players. For these Bills, I think it would be exactly what the doctor ordered.

1. Holmgren- He has shown he can take bad weather franchises with recent problems winning, to continued success. Also could develop Edwards in west coast offense or get another veteran for immediate success. Wouldn't be a complete overhaul either in offensive or defensive personnel or style.

2. Dungy- He'd never come, but would be a smooth transition to success.

3. Gruden- Similar to Holmgren but probably would involve more of an overhaul in personnel and strategy. Also has never really proven to be a great GM type.

4. Others- Leslie Frazier could be interesting. How about Haslet? He knows Buffalo and plays to win...

Cowher was successful in Pittsburgh. The Bills made the move to former Steeler people that were successful there to bring that strategy to Buffalo (Donahoe, Mularkey) and it didn't work. More times than not, when Steeler people leave that organization they aren't as successful.

I went with Schottenheimer. I think Cowher is holding out for the Carolina job when Fox is let go. I'm not high on Gruden or Shannahan really. IMO, Marty has been a winner and is the kind of coach the city of Buffalo needs. A "no nonsense" kind of blue-collar guy from the old school who demands respect and shows his emotions, whether good or bad. I'd be very happy with him as head coach.