Thurman Thomas

zdro22

Him and Schopp were talking about Marty Shottenheimer coaching the team, thurman said he wished to god he had some influence with Ralph. He went on to say that the only person that actually has influence and pull with Ralph is Jim Kelly. He then said jim is..and then he paused thought about it..and said working on some "things" right now. This is conjunction with Kelly saying this is a huge year for jauron and edwards before the season starts makes me wonder if he has intentions of an ownership group taking a run at buying the team soon. Just pure speculation but thomas definately confirmed Kelly is atleast TRYING to do something. Dont know if im so bummed about the team that grasping at straws here but i hope there really is soemthing here

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only way this works, is if the ownership group possesses some business acumen with regard to running a football team. I guess that's where Kelly and his football smarts come into play.

Daniel Snyder has owned the Redskins formore than a decade and throws money at free agents like there's no tomorrow, but his teams are consistently mediocre.

I wonder if we're ever going to see Jim Kelly in more of a hands on football capacity, rather than just a sideline presence for cameras to show during games so that people at the bar can yell "JIMBO!!!!" every time they show his face on TV.

I heard that also. The only thing I can think of is Kelly played for a team Donald Trump owned in the USFL and they remained friends so it's possible that he's in the "group" Kelly speaks of.

Incorrect. Kelly played for the Houston Gamblers who were owned by Alvin Lubetkin, Bernard Lerner, Dr. Jerry Argovitz, and others. Trump owned the NJ Generals, though he did buy the Gamblers franchise to merge with the Generals before the 1986 season that was never played. Oddly, it was Jim Kelly himself who was the loudest critc of the USFL moving to the fall, calling it the worst move they could have ever made. I agree. If the USFL weren't so stupid, spring football would have become a popular alternative to baseball.

Doug Flutie played for Generals. Think Doug would go to bat for Buffalo to the Donald?

PTR

I heard that also. The only thing I can think of is Kelly played for a team Donald Trump owned in the USFL and they remained friends so it's possible that he's in the "group" Kelly speaks of.

I have been advocating this theory for a year now. I really think Trump is the man behind the "group".

Incorrect. Kelly played for the Houston Gamblers who were owned by Alvin Lubetkin, Bernard Lerner, Dr. Jerry Argovitz, and others. Trump owned the NJ Generals, though he did buy the Gamblers franchise to merge with the Generals before the 1986 season that was never played. Oddly, it was Jim Kelly himself who was the loudest critc of the USFL moving to the fall, calling it the worst move they could have ever made. I agree. If the USFL weren't so stupid, spring football would have become a popular alternative to baseball.

Doug Flutie played for Generals. Think Doug would go to bat for Buffalo to the Donald?

PTR

Trump owned Kelly's contract going into the 1986 season but the league folded and I remember Kelly publicly thanking Trump for paraphrasing "Letting him out of the contract." I mean what was he going to do with him make him clean Ivanna's laundry? So yeah I guess your right to say Kelly never actually PLAYED for a Donald Trump team. Anyway so that's how Kelly got to know Trump.

I've said over and over again. No one is buying that team while Ralph is still alive. That would be financial stupidity on Ralph's part.

agreed...He'd be paying taxes on the sale and then his heirs would be paying taxes on the estate

in 22 years of coaching shottenheimer finished 1 or 2 in his division 17 times, but at 66 he's probably to old to want to get back in to coaching,

I was listening to a Redskins reporter talk about the "Marty years" when he was coach in DC. He did not get into specifics but said something about Marty being a control freak in the organization was legendary. Danny Boy hired him with that understanding, but after experiencing Schottenheimer's manic like control, he had to buy him out. BAsically, if you hand the reins to Marty, everyone in the organization (including owner) must sit back .....even to the point where Marty assigns parking spaces. He would never get hired in Buffalo. Too many Execs here that want a say in the football team and how its run.

agreed...He'd be paying taxes on the sale and then his heirs would be paying taxes on the estate

The heirs are going to pay taxes on the estate regardless. You can reduce those but not eliminate them. Cap gains on the other hand......that team will be sold within 9 months of Ralph's passing. Mark my words.