Were Lee and T.O. getting open?

This question is directed to those of you at the game yesterday. The protection wasn't very great yesterday but i've been sitting around baffled. How do you have TWO dynamic #1 playmaking WR's and have a hard time getting the ball?

So if you were there, can anyone shed any light as to whether they weren't getting open or if Trent just didn't get the ball to them?

This question is directed to those of you at the game yesterday. The protection wasn't very great yesterday but i've been sitting around baffled. How do you have TWO dynamic #1 playmaking WR's and have a hard time getting the ball?

So if you were there, can anyone shed any light as to whether they weren't getting open or if Trent just didn't get the ball to them?

Yup

I would say that one of the two was open on about 75% of the pass plays. Everyone around me was grumbling about how Trent can't even see his best two wideouts open 15 yards downfield the ENTIRE GAME!!!

I would say that one of the two was open on about 75% of the pass plays. Everyone around me was grumbling about how Trent can't even see his best two wideouts open 15 yards downfield the ENTIRE GAME!!!

We seriously need one of the fans to bring a video camera and just tape the receivers out there. I don't have a good camera or else I would. Who's on it?! :thumbsup:

We seriously need one of the fans to bring a video camera and just tape the receivers out there. I don't have a good camera or else I would. Who's on it?! :thumbsup:

Just ask every defensive coordinator that we have to play this year. They'll be able to provide you that tape.

TE took a few shots downfield. But he was getting hit on every passing down. Also, what other team has a starting center who doesn't know how to snap a ball? He has one skill to execute and he can't do it. When the every pass play starts with your QB looking at the ball on the ground, it makes it tougher to go through your reads.

It was nice to see Evans get his jersey dirty, though.

Put in Patrick Fitzryan or Ryan Fitzpatrick and see if he has the same trouble. As soon as you do you know who to blame -- the 0 line or QB or WRs. We'd all know in one week, probably before halftime, and we could end all this grousing. In preseason RP consistently went downfield with his throws, TE did not and still hasn't. TE has only made two good throws downfield in three games, one TD to Lee and one drop by TO.

Put in Patrick Fitzryan or Ryan Fitzpatrick and see if he has the same trouble. As soon as you do you know who to blame -- the 0 line or QB or WRs. We'd all know in one week, probably before halftime, and we could end all this grousing. In preseason RP consistently went downfield with his throws, TE did not and still hasn't. TE has only made two good throws downfield in three games, one TD to Lee and one drop by TO.

Actually he did throw a downfield bomb to TO for TD last week too in addition to the two you listed. But I agree. Based on what I saw in preseason (I know, it was only preseason), my prediction is that when Fitz gets into his first game, he'll hit a pass 20 yards downfield on the first or second play. I think it's Trent. I think the guys are there and open and for whatever reason he just doesn't throw it to them. I was at the Clowns game last year and there were guys open all over the place. I was at the Yucks game and there were guys open while he was looking for someone to dump it off to.

I saw at least two plays where he should have tried to go deep but instead threw it to a wide open Jackson in the flat (one of those was the play he threw it too high). There were other occassions that were ripe for play action deep passes and we just ran it into the teeth of the defense anyway.

One thing about the receivers I noticed though was that they were very bad at recognizing when the play was breaking down and trying to come back to the qb. A lot of offenses make a lot of yards this way.

One thing about the receivers I noticed though was that they were very bad at recognizing when the play was breaking down and trying to come back to the qb. A lot of offenses make a lot of yards this way.

I agree. In the words of Brett Favre, "Stay alive." (sorry for the Favre reference)

I think Trent really struggled with the reads-as he has been doing all season.

That being said, what I saw was a lazy Owens who barely even made it into huddles, left huddles early and jogged out many of his routes. He made so little effort to run actual routes (as previously noted in this thread) it was pathetic.

Those two deep balls are both on Owens. He completely misjudged the first, saw the defender and let up...the second he never looked up and simply ran down field. He had a chance to get that last pass too but should have outstretched his arms to stay in bounds.

He knows it.

Lee had most of the double coverage all day. If the Bills are going to use Owens, either he needs to get "in the game" or maybe just let him run some shorter slants across the middle and break a tackle or two.

Owens is on his last leg. Even Drew Rosenhaus knows that all the money to be had has been made...the only one with anything left to prove is Owens himself.

That being said, what I saw was a lazy Owens who barely even made it into huddles, left huddles early and jogged out many of his routes. He made so little effort to run actual routes (as previously noted in this thread) it was pathetic.

Those two deep balls are both on Owens. He completely misjudged the first, saw the defender and let up...the second he never looked up and simply ran down field. He had a chance to get that last pass too but should have outstretched his arms to stay in bounds.

Both deep passes to Owens were terrible....

That being said, what I saw was a lazy Owens who barely even made it into huddles, left huddles early and jogged out many of his routes....

Aren't they running the no huddle?

Both deep passes to Owens were terrible....

The second one was long but it is in the air long enough for Owens to get under it. the first one - all Owens needs to do is look up an make an adjustment- no different than a centerfielder on a fly ball...less for the defender who Owens was afraid would pop him. Please...at $6.5M per year...the guy needs to make a better effort than that.

Being open depends on q.b.

The second one was long but it is in the air long enough for Owens to get under it. the first one - all Owens needs to do is look up an make an adjustment- no different than a centerfielder on a fly ball...less for the defender who Owens was afraid would pop him. Please...at $6.5M per year...the guy needs to make a better effort than that.

Owens quit on that one and his body language said I quit .......

Owens quit on that one and his body language said I quit .......

Nah, if you watch the replay in slow motion he turns his head around just before the ball gets there and didn't have time to react. That wasn't a bad throw, but once again the timing was off between Edwards and TO.

Funny thing is that JP couldn't see the short routes, would hold onto the ball too long and fumble or get sacked. TE can't se the long routes and checks down for meaningless passes. Can we comibine the two into one adequate QB.