WGR55 - joke

WGR wins an award for best in the country??? You've got to be kidding. What group of fools thinks that GR is in the same discussion let alone better than WFAN, KNBR, WEEI, WIP and many others? I just can't believe that Bulldog is still on the radio. He can't speak properly.

Is there nothing better to talk about on a Friday before a home game?

Schoop's all pissy about characters like Fireman Ed and Elvis and is sharing that he's not comfortable attending BILLS games - shocker? This loser shouldn't even be on the radio.

Seriously - I used to like Bulldog years ago but this station is a joke.

Last Friday night, I landed in Buffalo - excited to turn on sports talk - and WGR is playing the DEPEW high school football game? WHO the !@#$ cares about high school football? What a freaking joke.

The Bills need to team up and start there own sports station. I'm amazed Ralph hasn't done more to capitalize on this market. He may be old but he could learn a lesson from Bob Kraft... seriously.

I.HATE.WGR

Couldn't agree more with you! WGR has become a joke...I even liked WNSA Better when it was around....These guy's talk about stupid stuff way too often! I don't listen to a sports radio station to hear about movies or other non-sport related topics...it seems more like an "E" channel sometimes. WGR has been saying that they won some sort of award for being chosen the top sports radio station in the country! I find that hard to believe..and they beat a subject to death and never seem to move on. I can turn on my radio at 6 a.m. leave for work at 6:30....(I am retired military, but now drive a school bus..) and at 7a.m., 8 a.m., 9 a.m., etc...they are still beating to death the same topic which is often boring or ridiculious.

They have some stupid cougar noise or something that they keep playing and it's just "not even funny" in the slightest but they laugh like we the audience are laughing with them..Sorry WGR has gotten to the point that it really sucks in general.

I like Thurman okay when he's on and sometimes Jerry Sullivan or Paul Hamilton...but Howard Simon and the rest of the gang are hard to listen to anymore! We always have to hear about Howard's stupid finances or how cheap he is and what he can't afford...I could care less! Just give me my dose of football and hockey and make it interesting and substantial!

I wish there was a sports radio station in Buffalo besides this one as it's borderline on a good day! The only good thing on there may be the whiner line...p.s. that stupid Mike Mendola took my call for a call-in segment and told me to hold for my turn to go on the air with my comments about the Hall of Fame game in the pre-season, and that loser never gave me an opportunity to talk. I waited for 1.5 hours because I had something on my mind! When he screened my call he asked what I was going to talk about...and then they (almost verbatim) stole my thunder and said almost direct quote comments that I mentioned to the screener! I think they used me for conversation ideas and left me hanging like a fool. I won't ever call that sorry place again! I also hate WGR550 Stupid radio!

Is there nothing better to talk about on a Friday before a home game?

Schoop's all pissy about characters like Fireman Ed and Elvis and is sharing that he's not comfortable attending BILLS games - shocker? This loser shouldn't even be on the radio.

Seriously - I used to like Bulldog years ago but this station is a joke.

Last Friday night, I landed in Buffalo - excited to turn on sports talk - and WGR is playing the DEPEW high school football game? WHO the !@#$ cares about high school football? What a freaking joke.

The Bills need to team up and start there own sports station. I'm amazed Ralph hasn't done more to capitalize on this market. He may be old but he could learn a lesson from Bob Kraft... seriously.

I.HATE.WGR

In NY many people don't care about high school football. This is why you see such a small percentage of collegiate football players coming from that state. The town I live in just built a $5 million dollar field house for the local HS team. If you compare that to the per capita income in this region, you would understand that is a staggering amount of community resources invested into the football program. News flash: not everyone thinks like you.

Schopp is like that guy who only has 3 real friends, and all they do is tell inside jokes the whole night and comment with some type of code to eachother about the people around them. Then when someone finally realizes that he was talking about them, Schopp pees on himself and tries to use big words to talk his way out of it. Genuinely intelligent people don't need to try to convince others how smart they really are.

As far as how he handles callers. I'm not sure he has the grasp on sports enough to engage informed callers. Someone will comment on how TO wore shiny cleats and he can go on for 7 minutes. Someone calls up to comment on something like Fewell's use of the cover two, wrong defensive alignments, or another intricacy of the game, and he just says, "well ok" and then moves on to the next caller. It's unfortunate because he really is witty, he just despises sports not named tennis or croquet.

WGR's counterparts at WEEI in Boston are VERY professional; pleasure to listen to and talk Patriots all the time... and the Patriots don't even air their games on that station - they use 98.5 the Sports Hub.

I wouldn't call WEEI professional, but it is very entertaining. Polarizing yes, annoying yes but entertaining.

On a side note, It's been years, and I think he worked for WBEN then, but I met Bulldog at the Bills training camp when it was in Fredonia. Jim Kelly's final year, as I recall it. I'm nobody, and he treated me with decency and had a conversation with me. Stand-up dude, I thought. I always enjoyed his show and followed him when he went over to WGR.

I hear the show on the 'net, as I live in Orlando, and yeah, they can get rude, condescending, and antagonistic. But, you know what? There are two things that come to mind when I hear this. First off, do you want to hear a bunch of "go team" crapola when your team is obviously sucking or needs some changes, or would you prefer to listen to people who are just as pissed off about the loss as you are? I go for the latter. Secondly, are you kidding me? People in or from Buffalo having the nerve to call another Buffalonian out for being rude and condescending?? It's in your freaking DNA, people!

Teapot=Kettle=Black

I never read buffalobills.com...I don't want puff. I want the real deal. I want to revel in a win and have company in my pain in a loss. If I have to listen to people be rude to get that, I'm just fine with it.

Schopp makes sure to remind everyone that he hates message boards...because they're amateurs with nothing better to do.

Right. Leave sports opinions to the professionals! Where did Schopp earn his degree in sports ranting?

FWIW, WGR550 evidently just won “Sports Station of the Year” at the 2009 National Association of Broadcasters' Marconi Radio Awards.

I'm not cheerleader, but I do enjoy WGR550, especially living out-of-town. They stack up pretty well against some of the South Florida stuff.

Consider the competition in that catagory. Living in NH, Ch.9 wins TV news room of the year every year. They are the only TV station that does news in NH!

PTR

Right. Leave sports opinions to the professionals! Where did Schopp earn his degree in sports ranting?

Consider the competition in that catagory. Living in NH, Ch.9 wins TV news room of the year every year. They are the only TV station that does news in NH!

PTR

From the list (link posted earlier in the thread), it looks like it was a nationwide honor. Frankly, while I wish Schopp would tone down his attitude at times (but it is hilarious listening to him dismiss drunk callers after Bills games), I kind of enjoy his show. We're pretty fortunate to have a sports talk station with many hours of local programming; there are bigger cities out there where all the sports talk is nationally-syndicated programming (DC comes to mind, from when I lived there a few years ago).

Couldn't agree more with you! WGR has become a joke...I even liked WNSA Better when it was around....These guy's talk about stupid stuff way too often! I don't listen to a sports radio station to hear about movies or other non-sport related topics...it seems more like an "E" channel sometimes. WGR has been saying that they won some sort of award for being chosen the top sports radio station in the country! I find that hard to believe..and they beat a subject to death and never seem to move on. I can turn on my radio at 6 a.m. leave for work at 6:30....(I am retired military, but now drive a school bus..) and at 7a.m., 8 a.m., 9 a.m., etc...they are still beating to death the same topic which is often boring or ridiculious.

They have some stupid cougar noise or something that they keep playing and it's just "not even funny" in the slightest but they laugh like we the audience are laughing with them..Sorry WGR has gotten to the point that it really sucks in general.

I like Thurman okay when he's on and sometimes Jerry Sullivan or Paul Hamilton...but Howard Simon and the rest of the gang are hard to listen to anymore! We always have to hear about Howard's stupid finances or how cheap he is and what he can't afford...I could care less! Just give me my dose of football and hockey and make it interesting and substantial!

I wish there was a sports radio station in Buffalo besides this one as it's borderline on a good day! The only good thing on there may be the whiner line...p.s. that stupid Mike Mendola took my call for a call-in segment and told me to hold for my turn to go on the air with my comments about the Hall of Fame game in the pre-season, and that loser never gave me an opportunity to talk. I waited for 1.5 hours because I had something on my mind! When he screened my call he asked what I was going to talk about...and then they (almost verbatim) stole my thunder and said almost direct quote comments that I mentioned to the screener! I think they used me for conversation ideas and left me hanging like a fool. I won't ever call that sorry place again! I also hate WGR550 Stupid radio!

You waited on hold for an hour and a half? Wow..........They have talked many times that their audience numbers are higher when talking all kinds of stuff, not just sports............Count me among those, because if they are going to be talking straight Sabres, and sometimes even Bills, I'll change the channel............The best sports talk uses sports as a base, and goes out from there - Tony Kornheiser (so glad he's back), Brad Riter, Todd Wright, sometimes Schoop and the Bulldog, and sometimes Jim Rome...........Of course, I'm sure my opinion here will not be very popular.

I have a serious question, so please think about it before responding. Most of the criticisim here about Schopp is well earned. He enjoys being a contrarian and is vitriolic in nature. He has always been this way and I believe that it has been somewhat part of his radio personality. The question is, I remember a short while ago he talked about adopting a child and for a short time after that, he seemed like a different person. Then I beleive it was taken away (I missed a few shows and never knew if this was a hoax, for real....). If it was for real, do you think he has been even more of a jerk since then?

We are all a product of the experiences we have and maybe he has had some pretty negative ones. I really wish he would get some help if needed. If this is not the case and he is just arrogant and dislikes our teams and the fans, he should find another job.

Thoughts?

Yeah, I found out on this board that the mother of the child wanted the baby back, so that had to be really horrible........I don't think he's any worse because of it in terms of his on air stuff...........I used to hate him like many people here do. But, it was mostly because he was a Sabres cheerleader and Bills hater.....Now, he gets on the Sabres just as much, and he seems more fair with the Bills - giving credit when credit is due.

I am one of the few here, but I really enjoy the show. I wish Brad wasn't on at the same time - I like them both better than anything else on the radio all day.