Trent 4th in QB rating after 2 games...

Big Turk

Edwards has looked pretty freaking good over the past 2 games, and his QB rating backs it up...104.6, ranking him 4th behind Manning, Brees and Ryan. I know we saw this last year until he got his bell rung by Wilson in the Cardinals game, but I am optimistic it might be for real this time. Edwards only had one game with 2 TDs last year(against KC), and he already has 2 this year in only 2 games. The offense is looking really potent with Jackson running the ball like he has been, and the OLine is looking like it is going to be much better than most people thought...

I really think this is the year Edwards establishes himself as our QB, and if he can consistently play this well, it will go a long way to making the Bills one of the better offenses in the NFL this year...

This post could just as easily be from week 2 of last year... I'll be tempering my excitement until he wins a couple division games.

The difference between last year and this year is this:

Last year, none of Edwards' good games came against the Patriots.

Even though the Bills lost the season opener against the Patriots this year, Edwards still looked like a real NFL quarterback out there. Yes, he could have improved his play at the margin, but bottom line he played well enough to give his team a very solid chance to win.

You wrote that you'll temper your excitement until Edwards wins a couple of division games. Since when did winning football games become the responsibility of one particular guy? The last time I checked, football was a team sport.

Take Joe Montana, for example. He's known for that late-game touchdown drive against the Bengals, and rightly so. But as Montana himself pointed out, it wasn't him personally taking control of that football game. It was the 49ers' entire offense. The offensive line blocked well. The receivers ran good routes. Montana added that if John Taylor had dropped that TD pass, Super Bowl history would have looked a lot different. Scoring that last TD required a good effort from a lot of guys, not just one.

The only reason the 49ers offense was able to take the field for that last drive was because its defense had just forced a three and out.

Let's say that the Bills win a game against a divisional opponent, but Edwards plays poorly. Would that game boost your confidence in him? No? Then why, after he played well in a divisional loss, wouldn't you feel more confidence in him? Should Edwards have somehow stopped McKelvin from fumbling? Or should he have caused the defense to stop the Patriots from scoring two TDs in the last five minutes?

Why does a loss prevent you from giving out credit for good individual efforts, when that credit is clearly deserved?

Edwards has looked pretty freaking good over the past 2 games, and his QB rating backs it up...104.6, ranking him 4th behind Manning, Brees and Ryan. I know we saw this last year until he got his bell rung by Wilson in the Cardinals game, but I am optimistic it might be for real this time. Edwards only had one game with 2 TDs last year(against KC), and he already has 2 this year in only 2 games. The offense is looking really potent with Jackson running the ball like he has been, and the OLine is looking like it is going to be much better than most people thought...

I really think this is the year Edwards establishes himself as our QB, and if he can consistently play this well, it will go a long way to making the Bills one of the better offenses in the NFL this year...

It matters how and where you finish in the end.

I think that has more to do with much improved coaching and line play. As AVP grows his O and the line improves, expect Edwards to improve as well. Edwards has always been accurate and has a quick release. I think he will improve because AVP knows offensive football unlike all the other coaches we have had. I have always said never judge a QB who doesnt have ample time and good coaching. Edwards may have both this season, so yes it is make or break.

Edwards is now playing a full game (except for the last 0:50 of the NE game) compared to even the first six games of last season. In those early games from last season, he left a good final impression because of some comeback victories. But in the 2 games of this season, he has been much more consistent. I am very encouraged by what I have seen so far. We will see how he performs (1) in poor weather, and (2) against more competent Ds

Even though the Bills lost the season opener against the Patriots this year, Edwards still looked like a real NFL quarterback out there. Yes, he could have improved his play at the margin, but bottom line he played well enough to give his team a very solid chance to win.

You wrote that you'll temper your excitement until Edwards wins a couple of division games. Since when did winning football games become the responsibility of one particular guy? The last time I checked, football was a team sport.

Take Joe Montana, for example. He's known for that late-game touchdown drive against the Bengals, and rightly so. But as Montana himself pointed out, it wasn't him personally taking control of that football game. It was the 49ers' entire offense. The offensive line blocked well. The receivers ran good routes. Montana added that if John Taylor had dropped that TD pass, Super Bowl history would have looked a lot different. Scoring that last TD required a good effort from a lot of guys, not just one.

The only reason the 49ers offense was able to take the field for that last drive was because its defense had just forced a three and out.

Let's say that the Bills win a game against a divisional opponent, but Edwards plays poorly. Would that game boost your confidence in him? No? Then why, after he played well in a divisional loss, wouldn't you feel more confidence in him? Should Edwards have somehow stopped McKelvin from fumbling? Or should he have caused the defense to stop the Patriots from scoring two TDs in the last five minutes?

Why does a loss prevent you from giving out credit for good individual efforts, when that credit is clearly deserved?

When a team losses it's somehow the QB that won or lost, and when they win it's a team victory. This is the typical mantra of typical idiot who is always looking for the next big thing without realizing what they have. They would have hamstrung Matt Hasselback in Seattle because of the W's without realizing he's a good QB.

I said I was tempering my excitement, Mrs. Edwards.

I agree that the NFL's QB rating system is whacked, but Edwards ranks well in Football Outsiders' weird system as well. He's 5th in Passing DVOA which ranks QBs based on their value-per-play and he's 8th in Passing DYAR which is their total value. He's actually 1st in QB Rushing DYAR (4th in DVOA). Whatever you may think of their stats, they're very different from the NFL's which adds credence to the claim that he's playing well. Unfortunately, I don't think they had the QB ratings last year (or at least I can't find the archives of them) so I can't compare to his performance at the same time last season.

He's probably just echoing a mantra of the JP haters out there. When Losman was replaced as a starter and Trent took over for a while, JP actually had a better QB rating, more TDs per game and I think a better completion percentage. Trent supporters always used to throw out that Trent had a better win loss record. Of course they didn't bother to mention that through the first MANY games of Edwards career he never beat a team that ended up with a winning record.

I didn't buy the argument then that win loss record was the defining statistic for a QB for exactly the reason you point out. Teams win games not QBs.

I think that has more to do with much improved coaching and line play. As AVP grows his O and the line improves, expect Edwards to improve as well. Edwards has always been accurate and has a quick release. I think he will improve because AVP knows offensive football unlike all the other coaches we have had. I have always said never judge a QB who doesnt have ample time and good coaching. Edwards may have both this season, so yes it is make or break.

Absolutely!!!

Being a former JP supporter coaching and the offensive coordinator you are working with can make a HUGE difference. Trent actually looks like an NFL QB this year. Previously he did nothing to impress and actually regressed the second half of last season. AVP steps in, we get TO, an athletic line and suddenly Trent looks competent with some promise of things to come. If he cleans up his deep ball, which he tends to under throw or throw late depending on if you think his problem is arm strength or timing, we could have something here.

Passer rating is built heavily on the most useless stat for a QB: completion percentage. Neither statistic provides a good way to judge a QB.

I think the entire passer rating system is convoluted on many levels. But the weight most important in the rating is INT % and TD %. Then YPA and then completion %.

Least that's how I remember it anyway. If they've changed anything, I'd be interested in some insight.

GO BILLS!!!

You gotta figure that if he continues to have a solid season, the Bills are going to have to lock him up long term.

I think he gets a deal similar to the one that Matt Cassel got: 6 years for around $60 million.

10 Million a year!?!?!?!?!? ARE YOU HIGH!?!?!?!?!?! If we wouldn't pay a pro bowl LT his due why would we pay an adequate QB 10 mil a year??