Mike Martz giving props to Edwards

Jerry Jabber

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched "The Head Coaches" on the NFL network today at 6:30pm. They had a segment on Trent Edwards and Mike Martz highly complimented Trent Edwards accuracy on the deep ball. It's nice to see the Bills get some positive attention for a change.

The one that most posters on here say he can`t throw?? Tell them again Mike. :rolleyes:

What about the one Owens caught....? :rolleyes::angry:

I thought that it was a little underthrown. TO just fought the guy off to make the play. The ones to Evans were all short. It's not a question of arm strength, it's just a timing thing. I think that it will improve.

I thought Edwards played well, but except for the pass that Owens dropped, it looked like all of this deep passes were underthrown.

The one to Evans was certainly underthrown. I could give a crepe because it went for a TD, but we can't put on the blinders and pretend they were perfect passes. It's constructive criticism. I like what I have seen out of Trent over the past two weeks, especially with the increased chances he took down the field. I agree with a later poster that the timing will improve. Like I said, I am just happy to see Edwards throwing deep. It may not be a question of arm strength. It's timing, confidence, ... I think someone eluded that Schonert would put pressure on Edwards to be perfect. Van Pelt says take the chances. Go AVP!

The one to Evans was certainly underthrown. I could give a crepe because it went for a TD, but we can't put on the blinders and pretend they were perfect passes. It's constructive criticism. I like what I have seen out of Trent over the past two weeks, especially with the increased chances he took down the field. I agree with a later poster that the timing will improve. Like I said, I am just happy to see Edwards throwing deep. It may not be a question of arm strength. It's timing, confidence, ... I think someone eluded that Schonert would put pressure on Edwards to be perfect. Van Pelt says take the chances. Go AVP!

Martz actually went on and on about the first one thrown. He said it was about as perfect a pass as possible because it kept the receiver in bounds offered the defensive player no chance to make a play. I think I'll trust him when it comes to evaluating passes given his track record ...

Martz actually went on and on about the first one thrown. He said it was about as perfect a pass as possible because it kept the receiver in bounds offered the defensive player no chance to make a play. I think I'll trust him when it comes to evaluating passes given his track record ...

Well Daryl Johnston, who actually watched the game live, thought the passes to Evans were underthrown. It's kind of like a court case- you can always find an "expert" who agrees with what you think. As I remember, two went for TDs and three didn't, so that's a pretty good percentage on those kind of routes. I'll take it, however it looked.

All those posters seem to forget the hell of a bomb Edwards threw to Lee Evans against Miami a few years ago. Watch that play and there's no way you say Trent has no arm.

It was a half way decent rainbow. Hey! If he's lucky maybe he'll have 10 or 20 for his career!!!!

LOL. I've been hard on Trent but he played a pretty decent game against Tampa. Unnecessary sacks and missed deep ball over the middle for the INT aside.

I thought that it was a little underthrown. TO just fought the guy off to make the play. The ones to Evans were all short. It's not a question of arm strength, it's just a timing thing. I think that it will improve.

Not to introduce some cold reality but they weren't perfect. Well, the one to TO was. Both balls to Evans were late in my opinion. Trent tends to wait until a WR is pretty much wide open which is often too late. He doesn't have the arm strength of say a Jay Cutler to get that ball there in a heart beat and make up for the late decisions. Trent needs to learn to trust his WR and throw the ball early. Give his guys a chance to catch the ball clean instead of having to "make a play" on it.

He'll throw a few more interceptions but he'll also throw more TDs and long completions. Preventing turnovers is important but I look at it like this as far as a QBs stat line:

EVERY TD = 6pts

EVERY INT = ?

I'll take some guaranteed points on the board over a few turn overs that may or may not result in a TD, a field goal or nothing at all.

He's learning I guess.

Not to introduce some cold reality but they weren't perfect. Well, the one to TO was. Both balls to Evans were late in my opinion. Trent tends to wait until a WR is pretty much wide open which is often too late. He doesn't have the arm strength of say a Jay Cutler to get that ball there in a heart beat and make up for the late decisions. Trent needs to learn to trust his WR and throw the ball early. Give his guys a chance to catch the ball clean instead of having to "make a play" on it.

He'll throw a few more interceptions but he'll also throw more TDs and long completions. Preventing turnovers is important but I look at it like this as far as a QBs stat line:

EVERY TD = 6pts

EVERY INT = ?

I'll take some guaranteed points on the board over a few turn overs that may or may not result in a TD, a field goal or nothing at all.

He's learning I guess.

I've been one of the skeptics regarding Trent. But he made some really nice throws. They were not perfect. No QB puts it in the exact right spot every time. I'm watching Peyton Manning and his throws are not perfect either. Thats why you need WRs who can adjust to the ball and make plays. We have those. I hope Trent keeps throwing it up there for them and giving them a chance to do what they do best.

Lets not nit pick. It was a good performance and a much needed win. Enough said.

There is NO question about TE's arm strength.

There was NEVER a question coming out of college.

There has NEVER been a question by pro-personnel directors since he arrived in the pros.

The ONLY people who've questioned it are the fans. Mostly, I believe, because of the comparisons to JP. Well, there are only TWO, count 'em, TWO QBs that I can think of that currently have Losman arm strength in the NFL: Cutler and Russell. There may be others but I'll let the experts rate them. My point is JP arm strenth is RARE.

To those fans who MUST question Edwards' arm strength, why have SO many teams sought to take Evans out of the offense with man-over coverage since 2007? Why did the vaunted GENIUS Belichick* play cover-2 all night in the opener? Why did TE make Tampa Bay PAY for the few times they offered single coverage?

Enough about Edwards' arm strength.

To those making the point about timing, that's the main thing. Look for teams to continue to pay for what they're giving our offense. When we do that consistently, and TE has a ways to go IMO, then it'll be fun to take what we want as a result more often.

GO BILLS!!!

He's very accurate from what I've seen. The two 80 yard passes he threw to LE were right on the money with LE running full speed in that game last year. :rolleyes:

EVERY TD = 6pts

EVERY INT = ?

He's learning I guess.

So far this year he's thrown 4 TD's to 1 Int. and he has a 104.9 QB rating.

There is NO question about TE's arm strength.

There was NEVER a question coming out of college.

There has NEVER been a question by pro-personnel directors since he arrived in the pros.

The ONLY people who've questioned it are the fans. Mostly, I believe, because of the comparisons to JP. Well, there are only TWO, count 'em, TWO QBs that I can think of that currently have Losman arm strength in the NFL: Cutler and Russell. There may be others but I'll let the experts rate them. My point is JP arm strenth is RARE.

To those fans who MUST question Edwards' arm strength, why have SO many teams sought to take Evans out of the offense with man-over coverage since 2007? Why did the vaunted GENIUS Belichick* play cover-2 all night in the opener? Why did TE make Tampa Bay PAY for the few times they offered single coverage?

Enough about Edwards' arm strength.

To those making the point about timing, that's the main thing. Look for teams to continue to pay for what they're giving our offense. When we do that consistently, and TE has a ways to go IMO, then it'll be fun to take what we want as a result more often.

GO BILLS!!!

JP and Russell also suck on the mental side of the game and on their accuracy. So far Russel looks like a bust. There is a lot more to QBing than arm strength. JMO

Trent is #1 in the AFC in passer rating. Marsha is #11.

We'll have AFC #1 vs NFC #1 this week with Edwars and Brees squaring off.

He's very accurate from what I've seen. The two 80 yard passes he threw to LE were right on the money with LE running full speed in that game last year. :rolleyes:

So far this year he's thrown 4 TD's to 1 Int. and he has a 104.9 QB rating.

JP and Russell also suck on the mental side of the game and on their accuracy. So far Russel looks like a bust. There is a lot more to QBing than arm strength. JMO

And the opinion of EVERYONE who knows ANYTHING about the position. I'd say you're in good company, Steely.

GO BILLS!!!