Different View of the New O-Line

StupidNation

If anyone watched the game the pocket was collapsing the majority of the time. People wanted Trent to wait in the pocket one second longer and fling it... I didn't see that second people were talking about. I saw sacks, constant pressure, and I didn't see that great line on pass protection.

I do agree that did well for run blocking and screens and that was refreshing.

If the O-line can improve in pass protection I can see Trent going deep. I can't see him doing that without getting drilled. I can't see us really getting enough time that Brady has to get passes off to the WRs unless things change.

Honestly, I can't see the same game where people believed the pass protection was any good. I really believe the screens and dumps were a product of bad protection and AVP knowing we couldn't block a decent D-line. I do see the hope and potential, but I don't see how Trent could have went deep without more sacks.

If anyone watched the game the pocket was collapsing the majority of the time. People wanted Trent to wait in the pocket one second longer and fling it... I didn't see that second people were talking about. I saw sacks, constant pressure, and I didn't see that great line on pass protection.

If the O-line can improve in pass protection I can see Trent going deep. I can't see him doing that without getting drilled. I can't see us really getting enough time that Brady has to get passes off to the WRs unless things change.

Honestly, I can't see the same game where people believed the pass protection was any good. I really believe the screens and dumps were a product of bad protection and AVP knowing we couldn't block a decent D-line. I do see the hope and potential, but I don't see how Trent could have went deep without more sacks.

I dig, But at the same time they showed promise. They will gel and It will be greater later.

Trent was standing in the pocket for 3-4 seconds, stepping up, and throwing. That is good pass protection.

Trent was standing in the pocket for 3-4 seconds, stepping up, and throwing. That is good pass protection.

I agree. If you think he was under a lot pressure, take a look at last year. Compared to last year, Trent had enough time on Monday to bake cookies.

Still there is still room for improvement (especially in the penalty department)

I agree with all points but one nobody is making is what the screen pass does for our pass blocking. If we can continue to run the screenpass effectively it will take pressure off of the oline. Defensive fronts will have to respect the screen and may not come as hard every time. I believe Trent may have mentioned this in a post game interview.

I think the pocket held up OK at times. If you factor out the last drive (Which they knew we were passing) Trent was able to get time to throw a decent amount of time. But you are right the O-line wasn't all sunshine and lollipops BUT they will get better if this is the start than I am pleased.

I thought Trent had a pocket but it was not a CLEAN pocket......

There was pressure on passing plays.....but I think that will get better as the season progresses....lets keep in mind who we were playing

Trent often had to step up in the pocket - but the difference from last year was that there was actually a pocket to step up into. These guys aren't going to stonewall the rushers on every play but improved play in the middle was clearly the primary goal for this offseason, and I think they achieved that.

I thought Trent had a pocket but it was not a CLEAN pocket......

There was pressure on passing plays.....but I think that will get better as the season progresses....lets keep in mind who we were playing

WHO we were playing and WHERE!

Guys - this was a road game at New England. Nobody's OL does their best there. How many times did you see Peyton Manning and the Colts mighty offense fail to deliver there?

As for some of the penalties - false starts and some mental errors are a natural consequence of road games. As the O-line gets more experience, they'll be less vulnerable to that, but I'm betting right now that they'll look a lot better just playing at home for the next two weeks.

Welcome to the NFL....thats typically what you get...and was far better protection than what Kelly typically saw in Superbowls.....the middle 3 of that line had a great game....on the raod against Vince Wolfolk and company....apparently you missed watching prior Buffalo games where our center/Guards were typically bith slapped into the QB's lap or our RB;s were confronted with DT pressure at handoff.....

I look forward to Lynch getting runs where he can actually get the hand off and take a step before he feels pressure...

Trent often had to step up in the pocket - but the difference from last year was that there was actually a pocket to step up into. These guys aren't going to stonewall the rushers on every play but improved play in the middle was clearly the primary goal for this offseason, and I think they achieved that.

True last year the pocket was often collapsed from the center leaving TE few options to avoid the rush.

True last year the pocket was often collapsed from the center leaving TE few options to avoid the rush.

I think that pressure up the middle is far more disruptive to an offense than an edge-rush (although less likely to result in spectacular sacks/fumbles/INTs forced). That's not to discount the importance of a good LT, and I really wish the team had been less penny-wise and pound-foolish in dealing with Peters once they switched him to LT, but it's absolutely impossible to have any consistent offensive production when your center and guards are manhandled the way the Bills have been in recent years.

Trent had more time to throw in the NE game than he did anytime in 2008. And that was with Mr. Pro Bowl Jason Peters.

PTR

YOU LIE! Last year there were plenty of times where Trent or JP had all day in the pocket sitting there patting the ball and everybody was wondering WTF! Many of the sacks we gave up were either coverage sacks or a few missed assignments but overall the pass protection was adequate; now the run blocking was a different story. The difference between this line and the one from 09 shown SO FAR is the versatility. There is no way we could run as many toss and outside runs with last years group because Dockery and Walker could not block on the move. The middle of the line couldn't establish a push for the inside running game. So even though we had the largest O-line we couldn't run the ball; this O-line is better equip to carry out the zone blocking scheme and get to the next level that the staff wants. That combined with the ability to run screens gives us way more options to keep the D off balance.

I agree completely. Trent did a great job stepping up and getting away from pressure. It makes me laugh at all the boneheads on this board that constantly call for the Bills to get a new QB. Wake up people, Trent is a very good QB and is only getting better.

The problem is Bell. I watched the replay of the game on NFL network today and this dummy was what cost us a last minute comeback, letting his man through for the final sack of Edwards. Not only that, he is so stupid he doesn't know how to line UP!

How an organization can release Langston Walker and throw this dumbBell into our starting LT position is only something Ralph could answer.

The problem is Bell. I watched the replay of the game on NFL network today and this dummy was what cost us a last minute comeback, letting his man through for the final sack of Edwards. Not only that, he is so stupid he doesn't know how to line UP!

How an organization can release Langston Walker and throw this dumbBell into our starting LT position is only something Ralph could answer.

Honestly Bell is going to be a solid LT if Monday night is any indication. He needs to improve no doubt but by seasons end (If he plays all 15 games left) he will be a better LT than Langston Walker will ever be. Walker wasn't as agile as Bell a skill needed for a LT also Walker might not have been a fit to run the no huddle.

Bell is still very raw he will learn to line up right and the final sack was his fault but it was an an obvious passing situation which for any LT (Let alone one playing his first NFL game) is prone to give up those kinds of sacks. Honestly after seeing what Bell is I am not missing Peters as much (Eric Wood's and Levitre's play on Monday night also helped).

Not saying Bell will be a pro-bowler but he will be a very respectable starter at the very least (Once again based off of Monday night). Expect growing pains but its not as bad as you put it.

There is no doubt Trent would have taken a few more sacks. He also may have completed a couple passes for TD's..........WINNING the game.

You and Alpha would have some credibility if it wasn't for your anti-Trent crusades while pimping Losman. I think Trent good for the circumstances, certainly not great.

If he can't step up in the pocket and throw there would be no TDs. If he can get some time and doesn't go deep go for the jugular, I'll be with you, but as of right now you are a blow-hard with an agenda.