Top 10 Bills Stunning Losses

HarkinBanks

Agreed...but I was focused on "stunning losses", as in "oh my god, we actually are going to win this thing...then...no F'n way did we just blow that game, that is impossible to believe we just snatched defeat from the jaws of victory" type of losses.

See my thought above :)

You'd have to check your head after that one.

1996 was a heart-attack year.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Wide Right: Giants Super Bowl 1991 (My seat was pretty lousy and I actually thought the kick was good!)

Harkin, thank you for being the only other person I know to experience that feeling. I was there, too, I was in the upper bowl section, at the other end of the field, looking at it from the right side and for a moment, we had won SB25, b/c I swear it looked good. I saw the refs walking forward about to throw their hands up in the air and then sank when they gave the 'no good' signal.

I would put the season opener against the Jets a few years back on the list. We gave up two 100-yard kick-off returns to Chad Morton, including one right at the start of OT, to lose that game.

I agree with you. That one should be on the list but further down since we did not have that game "won" or miss a field goal to "not win". But damn that was a stunning loss for sure.

Harkin, thank you for being the only other person I know to experience that feeling. I was there, too, I was in the upper bowl section, at the other end of the field, looking at from the right side and for a moment, we had one SB25, b/c I sear it looked good. I saw the refs walking forward about to throw their hands up in the air and then sank when they gave the 'no good' signal.

Dude...I went from jumping on my seat to crawling under my seat in about 2 seconds.

didnt we have a 3TD lead against Miami, and got beat by their backup on successive throws to the same WR? Losman was our QB. id put that in place of #7.

Yep. Sage Rosenfels had like 20 completions to Chris Chambers while being covered by "Moneybags" Nate Clements.

Dallas > NE imo just because Romo gave us the ball six freaking times. I never knew it was mathematically possible for an NFL team to lose in spite of that, at home no less. I'd rank Jacksonville higher too. Cleveland should be lower 'cause Edwards was so bad and the game didn't mean much. '98 "just give it to em" clearly deserves a spot.

In any case, NFL Network clearly ought to reevaluate their "top 10 snakebitten franchises" where we were inexplicably #9.

Why do I always have a hard time remembering that game? I simply have no recollection of it. What happened in this game?

grrr and Clyde Simmons intercepted a screen pass. wallbash.gif

Back in those days we hardly ever scored defensive or Special TD's but always allowed them. That was the most confident I'd ever been about a game we lost; both before the game and even in the 4th Qtr after Burress put us up 27-20 on a tipped ball pick 6.

Great list though after reading each one I was reminded of the piece of my soul missing because of that game.

I would add the 2001 home collapse against the Dolphins to that list. It was a terrible season, hadn't won a home game yet, though it was late November, and I had the good fortune to have been at every one. Then when the Bills put up a big lead on the fins to make us feel we were finally going to get one, the Bills somehow snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.... yet again.

If I include that one as number 10, that means I was at 5 of the 10. God, we are suckers for abuse.

Dallas > NE imo just because Romo gave us the ball six freaking times. I never knew it was mathematically possible for an NFL team to lose in spite of that, at home no less. I'd rank Jacksonville higher too. Cleveland should be lower 'cause Edwards was so bad and the game didn't mean much. '98 "just give it to em" clearly deserves a spot.

In any case, NFL Network clearly ought to reevaluate their "top 10 snakebitten franchises" where we were inexplicably #9.

i agree on the 98 scandal!

But not on the Cleveland game last year... if we win we still had a shot...

Why do I always have a hard time remembering that game? I simply have no recollection of it. What happened in this game?

Jim Kelly's last game as a Bill - knee injury consussion in the 2nd half IIRC. Fumbled and gave them the winning FG late in the 4th.

What about the game against NE when they got called for pass interference on a hail mary and Bledsoe hit Ben Coates for the winning TD on the next play to win the game? Not positive, but I think was the same game where the refs gave NE a key 1st down on a play when the Pats player did not catch the ball and was short of the 1st down marker.

Loss to Pittsburgh's 3rd stringers when a win would have ended the playoff drought belongs on the list, probably before 8 or 9.

Sad thing is, I was personally at #s 1,3,5,6,7,8 and the one I just mentioned.

Rubes - maybe your tickets need to be revoked as it seems you should not be allowed to attend games. :)

Anyway, somehow 0 for the 70's as a group has to make the list. I know it does not fit the "game" idea but man some of those losses were just absurd, if not painful.

1. Wide Right: Giants Super Bowl 1991 (My seat was pretty lousy and I actually thought the kick was good!)

2. Home Run Throwback: Titans Playoffs 2000 (Titans score on forward lateral on kickoff after “winning” touchdown drive by Bills)

3. Harmon's Drop: Cleveland Playoffs 1990 ((Harmon's dropped pass in the end zone on the potentially winning play)

4. New England Nightmare: MNF 2009 (McKelvin fumbles the kickoff with 2:00 left and the Bills up by 5)

5. Dallas Debacle: MNF 2007 (Cowboys recover onside kick and hit 53 yard field goal to win the game)

6. Cleveland Collapse: MNF 2008 (Cleveland makes a 56 yard field goal with a minute left, Buffalo misses a 47 yard field goal at the end of the game)

7. Season Opener 2004 (Jags win on last play, Leftwich to Wilford after Clements should have knocked down an earlier pass and killed the drive)

8. Season Opener 2007 (Elam and the Broncos field goal unit scrambled onto the field to convert a 42-yard attempt just as time ran out)

9. Losman’s Last Laugh 2008 (Bills are running out the clock, Losman fumbles on a bootleg and Jets run it back for winning TD)

10. Fill in the blank

This is really an impressive list when you think about all the different ways you can blow a game.

Go Bills.

I'm sorry, but "just give it 'em" loss to the Pats was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay worse than Monday night's loss. It cost the Bills the division and forced them to play on the road in Miami. Not only was there the terrible "in bounds" call, on the game's final play in regulation Henry Jones was called for interference while he himself was being actively interfered with (grabbed by a Pats receiver from behind, as I recall).

Also, the Cleveland loss was pretty inconsequential - two losing teams facing off in a close game. There are games like that every season.

Three I would add:

1)The" Dead Body Game" as someone refered to it. Lose in OT the the Pats* when their dude is knocked cold, his concussed head in laying on the OB line, and the ball happens to be touching him. Hate that rule, still do especially on kickoffs..see NYJ game last year.,

2) The Miami playoff game from the year before the Home Run Throwup. Such an up and down game from the first Moulds fumble, to Reed getting the penalty, recovering the kick, getting to the 2yd line, arrghh Trace Armstrong!!

3) Going back some years , the strike year where only 9 games were played. Bills going down to Tampa and a win is crucial...we are driving for the winning points and ole Rosie Leaks fumbles... Now, one has to remember that back in the day Tampa Bay was thought of as having a more inbred losing cultiure than the Bills do now! Killed our playoff chances..I believe that was Chuck Knoxs last year as well..and led to the back to back 2-14 seasons

Jan 2 1999 - Wildcard playoffs @ miami.

Bills down 24 - 14 with less than 2 minutes left. Flutie hits Reed for apparent TD but he's ruled down at the 1. Reed jumps up to argue and bumps referee who ejects him. Bills settle for FG with 1:33 left. We recover onside kick, drive down to 5 with 17 seconds left. Flutie then gets sacked and fumbles, ending the game.

Rubes - maybe your tickets need to be revoked as it seems you should not be allowed to attend games. :)

Anyway, somehow 0 for the 70's as a group has to make the list. I know it does not fit the "game" idea but man some of those losses were just absurd, if not painful.

Well several losses to maimi during that stretch could be on the list. The personal foul against Craig Neal for dumping a running back on his head. The personal foul against Pay Toomay for nudging a ref while going for a fumble. Both of these led to late TDs.