Derrick Johnson of Chiefs

Fewell733

I'd love to get Derrick Johnson. I think he can cover better than Ellison, and would be a pretty good LB in Ellison's spot once Poz gets back, and could hold down the middle until then.

<_<

If it can be done reasonably we should make this move.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/...uietly-demoted/

He has been demoted in KC, doesnt look to be in their plans with the transition to a 3-4. If he isnt in their long term goals and he is a FA at the end of the year that cant ask for a kings ransom for him right? This seems to make sense. KC also needs WRs, why not parrish and a pick for him? This could allow us to move #55 inside until poz is back and then when he returns move ellison to the bench where he belongs....thoughts?

http://www.nfl.com/players/derrickjohnson/...ts?id=JOH202085

"We like the guys that we have and we're going with that"

but in all seriousness he fits the 4-3, is better than the players at the position that buffalo currently has. He is young, is available for trade. Unless the chiefs wanted something ridiculous for him there is no reason for the bills not to look into it

3rd rounder and I'll do it...

I completely agree, BNP. I am more than willing to give up a draft pick for him now rather than give up an offensive weapon...and yes, Parrish still is an offensive weapon.

4th or 5th rounder is probably his true value, but 3rd should do it to loosen up a now back-up like him without any current player compensation.

anything is better than ellison. I'd almost take coy wire back.

i can't claim to be a football analyst, but to the untrained eye it looked like Ellison had a pretty good first half, especially on run coverage, he was getting to the line of scrimmage and getting some solid hits in.

i can't claim to be a football analyst, but to the untrained eye it looked like Ellison had a pretty good first half, especially on run coverage, he was getting to the line of scrimmage and getting some solid hits in.

I agree, he showed a pretty good game. Lets not pile on just because it was fashionable before the season started. No LBs are going to cover Wes Welker, that's a scheme problem, not an Ellison one.

With that said, Poz will be out a while and we need to get someone, because Buggs ain't doin' it.

Johnson was an OLB prospect and moved inside at the end of last year. And now the Chefs are looking to bench and trade him. He'd be almost useless as a MLB in the Bills' system, since he doesn't know the defense, but could be a developmental type for later. But he's a 5th year player and probably in the last year of his contract, which makes things dicey. Do you trade for him and give him an extension without knowing if he's worth it?

Johnson was an OLB prospect and moved inside at the end of last year. And now the Chefs are looking to bench and trade him. He'd be almost useless as a MLB in the Bills' system, since he doesn't know the defense, but could be a developmental type for later. But he's a 5th year player and probably in the last year of his contract, which makes things dicey. Do you trade for him and give him an extension without knowing if he's worth it?

He's a great coverage LB, but he is woefully inadequate for the 3-4. I would take him in a heartbeat for our Cover 2.

He'd be a huge improvement over Ellison OR Mitchell in the Cover 2, and I don't think anybody is looking at him as a longterm answer in the middle. It's just the fear of a rookie in the middle until Poz is back. Speaking of Poz, I also think that Derrick Johnson is EXACTLY the type of LB he needs on one side of him to take his game to the next level.

He'd be a huge improvement over Ellison OR Mitchell in the Cover 2, and I don't think anybody is looking at him as a longterm answer in the middle. It's just the fear of a rookie in the middle until Poz is back. Speaking of Poz, I also think that Derrick Johnson is EXACTLY the type of LB he needs on one side of him to take his game to the next level.

Buggs is a 2nd year player for the Bills. Although you could technically call him a rookie, he knows the playbook and calls.

And again, the problem with DJ is that his contract is up at the end of the year and then he's an UFA. What pick would you give up and would you give him an extension immediately after trading for him, or wait until later?

Good catch on Buggs being a 2nd year guy, I overlooked that. I probably would work Johnson in slowly behind both Mitchell and Ellison to see where he fits best and let Buggs decide his own fate in the middle. Supposedly Fewell said Ellison could slip inside(I know :D ) and Harris would go outside. In that case once again Johnson could rotate with Harris till he gets more comfortable in the bills scheme. Doc, you also raise a good question on how much to give up and how to approach a contract extension. If I'm in charge (God help us all!!! <_< ), I would give up a 3rd if an extension was worked out before hand and a fourth or a fifth if not. His speed and coverage skills alone would raise the D up another needed notch. IMO a big DT like Bamas Cody would then be a final piece of the puzzle to make the D really good.....

PFT says he doesn't appear to be part of the Chiefs longterm plans now that they're running the 3-4. Just demoted to second string.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/...uietly-demoted/

We certainly have a need. Any thoughts about him?

Give them a 4th and a 6th and get it done. Poz fill in now Ellison replacement later, the guy is an upgrade by far and he can be had on the cheap. Hell even a 3rd I would consider it.

Good catch on Buggs being a 2nd year guy, I overlooked that. I probably would work Johnson in slowly behind both Mitchell and Ellison to see where he fits best and let Buggs decide his own fate in the middle. Supposedly Fewell said Ellison could slip inside(I know :) ) and Harris would go outside. In that case once again Johnson could rotate with Harris till he gets more comfortable in the bills scheme. Doc, you also raise a good question on how much to give up and how to approach a contract extension. If I'm in charge (God help us all!!! :beer: ), I would give up a 3rd if an extension was worked out before hand and a fourth or a fifth if not. His speed and coverage skills alone would raise the D up another needed notch. IMO a big DT like Bamas Cody would then be a final piece of the puzzle to make the D really good.....

I agree. The Bills need to concentrate on defense, particularly DT and LB, in the next draft. Although I like the potential of Harris and Palmer.