AVP and observations

billsfan_34

Ok I know all of us are fuming from the heartbreak, and I am too. This team has to learn how to win the close ones. I thought Alex Van Pelt really did a great job last night. He is only going to get better callin games and preparing his team. The last 50 second debacle wasnt his fault as everything at that point is coming from the sidelines and the QB. How in the heck do you burn a timeout after a kickoff? And Perry Fewell, shame on him for going to the prevent. Keep with what is working. Anyways, I am encouraged with what AVP did last night and I think this offense will start to turn the corner. Someone needs to work with Bell and calm him down, too many penalties from him last night, but overall the O line did well. I am going to say this again, Fred Jackson is better the Marshawn. This team has to learn to get Roscoe more involved like the Eagles do with their little receiver, I am having a brain fart rememberin his name right now. I thought trent played well up until the last few minutes and then he had a complete meltdown. In year 3 of a QB this shouldnt be happeneing anymore, but maybe with a few more weeks with AVP things will settle some. Before Pos got hurt he was all over the field. Stroud was a beast last night and Kyle Williams has really improved. Leodis was getting turned inside out all night. Whitner didnt do a bad job but needs to start making some big plays. Reggie Corner is the real deal as the nickel corner. And McGee had his hands full all night with Moss and did well. We need to stop putting LBs all by themselves on TE's! Schoebel had a good game too...I will eat crow on being so down on him in the off season.

I thought Edwards did an excellent job of executing a very mediocre game plan. The Bills have to figure out ways to get their two studs - Evans and Owens - open and in single coverage. I'm sorry, but letting them get double covered nearly every play while Moss and Welker were consistently open suggests an overly simply scheme. Let's hope he figures out how to get those guys open, and fast. When the QB plays a nearly flawless game and the team only scores 17 (with only three real scoring opportunities), well, that's not great.

I thought Edwards did an excellent job of executing a very mediocre game plan. The Bills have to figure out ways to get their two studs - Evans and Owens - open and in single coverage. I'm sorry, but letting them get double covered nearly every play while Moss and Welker were consistently open suggests an overly simply scheme. Let's hope he figures out how to get those guys open, and fast. When the QB plays a nearly flawless game and the team only scores 17 (with only three real scoring opportunities), well, that's not great.

I agree...but my point is give the pill a little time, I think we all may be surprised next week. A win over tampa can restore some confidence too.

If McKelvin holds on to the ball we win the game. No question about that. If they can run that simple game plan I flat out don't care if we win. The offense and the Defense didn't lose that game last night.

We knew Brady would make plays and you can't give him that many chances to make plays like we did last night. I don't blame that on the defense, that one is solely on McKelvin.

pat*s brought out SBXXV defense and we scored 17 pts in 22 minutes. our problem was Defense not getting off the field. This O is going to get better as the season moves forward. A very painful mistake cost us. Shades of wide right.

For game 1 I was impressed with Alex Van Pelt's calls over that of the fired Turk S.

Rookie mistakes by rookies which will get better. Losing by a point IN Foxboro ..... It's far better than the blow out every non Bills fan and even some Bills fans predicted.

+1

On the contrary, the game plan was a terrific one. You can't fairly compare what Moss and Welker did with Evans and Owens. Why? Because they weren't double covered, we played for the most part were in zone coverages and they just slipped into open spots. Where our WR's were double covered, so AVP did exactly what he should of done and took what the defense gave us.

If we wouldn't of had those three third down drops in the first half, we would of certainly put up more points. So I totally disagree with your assessment of the Bills having a "mediocre" game plan.

On the contrary, the game plan was a terrific one. You can't fairly compare what Moss and Welker did with Evans and Owens. Why? Because they weren't double covered, we played for the most part were in zone coverages and they just slipped into open spots. Where our WR's were double covered, so AVP did exactly what he should of done and took what the defense gave us.

If we wouldn't of had those three third down drops in the first half, we would of certainly put up more points. So I totally disagree with your assessment of the Bills having a "mediocre" game plan.

No, the problem is that when you run the sort of game plan the Bills ran (and ran last year, for that matter), you're almost automatically stuck in 12 play drives. A mistake here or there, and you have to punt. It happens all the time, and it's been this way for a long time (going back to Mularkey). Ball control drives that result in scores look pretty, but they're infrequent. The potential for a drive-killing screwup (drops, sacks, stuffs, penalties, etc.) is high because there are too many plays on a drive, and no one play ever really generates a big chunk of yards. Good teams tend to have quick strike ability; it drives up the point total. Look at Dallas and New Orleans on Sunday, or Arizona last year. Given the Bills' receivers, they should have that ability too -- Evans and Owens are really good. But you have to have plays that get them open and subvert the easy double coverages. Good offenses do that. I mean, teams have intended to cover TO for over a decade, but they often fail. Same goes for Steve Smith and Larry Fitzgerald. How are those guys ever single-covered? You think it couldn't happen, but it does all the time. Why is that the Bills find themselves in so many close games with moderate scoring (i.e., 19-17; 21-20), where it comes down to who has the final possession? They need to be able to blow people out earlier by pointing up points on the board. The Pats secondary isn't that great and Mayo was out, but the Bills didn't take advantage. I hope they do in the future.

For game 1 I was impressed with Alex Van Pelt's calls over that of the fired Turk S.

Rookie mistakes by rookies which will get better. Losing by a point IN Foxboro ..... It's far better than the blow out every non Bills fan and even some Bills fans predicted.

True th o-line has potential and AVP appears to be a step up. Time will tell.

You guys keep talking about Evans & Owens being double covered. I haven't seen the replay of the game, yet on a few isolation shots Owens had single coverage from a CB and definitely had separation. Don't know if there was a safety lurking in the background, but nowhere near the camera angles.

Again, we'll have to rely on eyewitnesses from the game to tell whether the WRs were open, but the ball never went their way. And I'll repeat my concern - Reed is by far Edwards's favorite panic mode WR outlet. If this team wants to have any shot at all, Owens & Evans have to become the primary targets. You cannot hide behind "I'm taking what they're giving me" excuse for much longer.

No, the problem is that when you run the sort of game plan the Bills ran (and ran last year, for that matter), you're almost automatically stuck in 12 play drives. A mistake here or there, and you have to punt. It happens all the time, and it's been this way for a long time (going back to Mularkey). Ball control drives that result in scores look pretty, but they're infrequent. The potential for a drive-killing screwup (drops, sacks, stuffs, penalties, etc.) is high because there are too many plays on a drive, and no one play ever really generates a big chunk of yards. Good teams tend to have quick strike ability; it drives up the point total. Look at Dallas and New Orleans on Sunday, or Arizona last year. Given the Bills' receivers, they should have that ability too -- Evans and Owens are really good. But you have to have plays that get them open and subvert the easy double coverages. Good offenses do that. I mean, teams have intended to cover TO for over a decade, but they often fail. Same goes for Steve Smith and Larry Fitzgerald. How are those guys ever single-covered? You think it couldn't happen, but it does all the time. Why is that the Bills find themselves in so many close games with moderate scoring (i.e., 19-17; 21-20), where it comes down to who has the final possession? They need to be able to blow people out earlier by pointing up points on the board. The Pats secondary isn't that great and Mayo was out, but the Bills didn't take advantage. I hope they do in the future.

I agree with just about everything you just said. I am a big advocate of throwing the ball downfield, you have to keep defenses honest and it does open up the underneath stuff even more so. However, this game was different, my view of the game was that the *Pats put an extra emphasis to take away our WR's and we took what they gave us. Our offense was efficient and if we didn't drop a few of those passes that they should of made, we would of scored even more points.