Loadholt starting for Vikes at RT

VJ91

The Bills drafted Levitre a few picks before the Vikes took huge Phil Loadholt. Loadholt is a "load", 6'8 335 lbs. He's already starting at RT today against the Browns for the Vikings. Watching this kid play pretty well today, I'm confused as to why the Bills took a smaller RT in Levitre, and went to the trouble of converting him into their starting guard, when Loadholt was available for them to draft. Brad Butler had just finished playing a pretty good season at guard, so he could have stayed there with a year experience under his belt, while obviously, Loadholt would be the Bills' starting RT going into tomorrow night. Instead, OL coach Kugler had to help Levitre learn the guard position coming from playing tackle, and Butler had to learn the tackle position coming from guard. :D

The Bills drafted Levitre a few picks before the Vikes took huge Phil Loadholt. Loadholt is a "load", 6'8 335 lbs. He's already starting at RT today against the Browns for Vikings. Watching this kid play pretty well today, I'm confused as to why the Bills took a smaller RT in Levitre, and went to the trouble of converting him into their starting guard, when Loadholt was available for them to draft. Brad Butler had just finished playing a pretty good season at guard, so he could have stayed there with a year experience under his belt, while obviously, Loadholt would be the Bills' starting RT going into tomorrow night. Instead, the coach Kugler had to help Levitre learn the guard position coming from playing tackle, and Butler had to learn the tackle position coming from guard. :D

Maybe they want to avoid all of these huge guys who can't keep up with the pace of the no huddle. From what I can tell they want faster more agile lineman.

Not saying whether they are right or wrong, but that's what they want.

Maybe they want to avoid all of these huge guys who can't keep up with the pace of the no huddle. From what I can tell they want faster more agile lineman.

Not saying whether they are right or wrong, but that's what they want.

Ok so what happens when Jauron and company are fired? What if the next HC/OC want Big linemen to put a hat on a hat and pound the ball with marshawn? Bad planning with a HC on the hot seat

Ok so what happens when Jauron and company are fired? What if the next HC/OC want Big linemen to put a hat on a hat and pound the ball with marshawn? Bad planning with a HC on the hot seat

Not what you want to hear, but I doubt the thread that DJ's career is hanging from is as thin as we fans would like to think it is. I get the impression that if the team shows progress, which is a very subjective term, that he will be back.

Not what you want to hear, but I doubt the thread that DJ's career is hanging from is as thin as we fans would like to think it is. I get the impression that if the team shows progress, which is a very subjective term, that he will be back.

I see this as a 6-10 team which will be 4 straight losing seasons and even a regression. If Jauron is back I know I am done with this team till Ralph is gone.

Right or wrong Loadholt probably doesn't fit what the Bills think they are trying to do, whatever the hell that is. For the record though, I never liked Butler at G. He never got any push no matter what stupid "they had the highest rush average behind him" argument anyone wants to bring up and although Levitre hasn't shown he's any better in this area, he already has shown he's more athletic getting to the 2nd level and will only get better. I think the interior has a good future ahead of it but yeah, I'd like to see another tackle brought in as well.

The Bills drafted Levitre a few picks before the Vikes took huge Phil Loadholt. Loadholt is a "load", 6'8 335 lbs. He's already starting at RT today against the Browns for the Vikings. Watching this kid play pretty well today, I'm confused as to why the Bills took a smaller RT in Levitre, and went to the trouble of converting him into their starting guard, when Loadholt was available for them to draft. Brad Butler had just finished playing a pretty good season at guard, so he could have stayed there with a year experience under his belt, while obviously, Loadholt would be the Bills' starting RT going into tomorrow night. Instead, OL coach Kugler had to help Levitre learn the guard position coming from playing tackle, and Butler had to learn the tackle position coming from guard. :D

Didn't we just cut a huge guy? What game were you watching, the Vikes had line problems all game and Loadholt was the weak link.

Right or wrong. Loadholt or not. To me, building a football team is from the inside out. Build a good line...from the center out. then get a good qb, then get rb's and wideouts that can run and catch. This year the Bills made a major overhaul, again, on the o-line. Was it needed? Absolutely.Unfortunately, we had too many years of ignoring the basics. Say what you will about Levy. He didn't make the right choices, but he got the team heading back in the right direction. This team might not be better this year but its got a good nucleus of young players at the important positions (line) than its had in a long time.

I dont know about Loadholt. He was a LT in college and really struggled in pass protection. I think as the season goes on he will let in a few too many sacks but be great in run blocking. I guess they are taking the good and bad with that approach.

The Bills drafted Levitre a few picks before the Vikes took huge Phil Loadholt. Loadholt is a "load", 6'8 335 lbs. He's already starting at RT today against the Browns for the Vikings. Watching this kid play pretty well today, I'm confused as to why the Bills took a smaller RT in Levitre, and went to the trouble of converting him into their starting guard, when Loadholt was available for them to draft. Brad Butler had just finished playing a pretty good season at guard, so he could have stayed there with a year experience under his belt, while obviously, Loadholt would be the Bills' starting RT going into tomorrow night. Instead, OL coach Kugler had to help Levitre learn the guard position coming from playing tackle, and Butler had to learn the tackle position coming from guard. :doh:

What an unbelievably premature post. :D

Are you suggesting the team should pick guys who don't fit what the current philosophy, anticipating failure? I guess that would be one way to ensure failure.

For what it's worth, I think the Bills were really concentrating on strengthening the interior, as they thought the guards available in this draft were better than the tackles. It seems they thought Walker and Butler would be OK, if the interior was strong.

So far they missed (badly) on one assumption.

Are you suggesting the team should pick guys who don't fit what the current philosophy, anticipating failure? I guess that would be one way to ensure failure.

For what it's worth, I think the Bills were really concentrating on strengthening the interior, as they thought the guards available in this draft were better than the tackles. It seems they thought Walker and Butler would be OK, if the interior was strong.

That was my impression as well. And Levitre was rated the top OG in the draft by most.

So far they missed (badly) on one assumption.

Yep. Although I'd be interested to know what they would have done with Walker if they'd made Bell the starter from the beginning.

I had been saying this ever since the draft...he will be a stud in the coming years.

Levitre will suck. (So will Brad Butler)