Guess Which Unemployed NFL Coach is Golfing

CosmicBills

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough, John, but notice something about the teams you quoted? All of them play in markets that are multiples of the size of WNY population-wise and many multiples when you figure in the level of disposable income. In fact, they're all in the top 10 in the US I believe (Philly is the one I'm not sure of, but suspect they're at least in the 8-10 range). The NFL is fast becoming an uneven playing field and you really can't expect the lower tier teams to compete year-in, year-out with the big boys in the major markets. Those competent people you talk about cost money, whether they be players or coaches or GMs. There's a competitive market for their services. In an increasingly unbalanced NFL, you can't expect the Bills to pay the same as other markets, it's as simple as that. People like to rip Ralph for "not spending what it takes to win", but I don't think they quite understand the economics of the situation. It's only going to get worse in the future, since the large market teams were basically the ones who chose Goodell and they're the ones he's going to listen to in terms of crafting the next League-wide CBA, if there is any. As you may have noticed, jackasses like Jerry Jones, Danny Boy Snyder and Bob Kraft don't exactly like to share....

I respectfully disagree with your conclusion about my commentary. The teams I cited all have an owner who assembled a strong front office and coaching staff. The Pats are the most successful team in the NFL over the past decade. They are not profligate with their revenue. They are as tough minded with their cap money as any team in the NFL Just ask Seymour about his desire to garner a rich contract with the Pats when his present contract expires. He was dispatched. Ask Ty Law what happened when he demanded a maximum contract? He was dispateched. Ask Lawyer Milloy what happened when he was unyielding in his contract demands? He was dispatched.

The point I'm stressing is that other teams, even in richer markets, win because they are better run. As others have stated markets such as Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Green Bay, Carolina, Tenn are not large lucrative markets. Yet they are successful. What they have in common is a high quality organization working to put a quality product on the field. Danny Snyder of the Redskins is in the upper tier of revenue producing teams. Their record since his ownership has been mediocre. The reason is simple: They are poorly run. The Cowgirls are a cash cow. Their record for quite awhile has been mediocre. Why? The reason is simple: They are poorly run.

You can be very critical of Jerry Jones, Danny Boy Snyder and Bob Kraft but all three of these owners have a high debt load due to stadium costs that whining Ralph Wilson doesn't have. They certainly don't want to here his BS, especially when he forgoes income from the naming rights of the stadium because this egotistical fool demands that it be named after him. The same wretched owner who didn't pay a nickle for the stadium and its upgrade.

The Bills have a history of losing because of the organizational ineptitude. It has nothing to do with the economics of the game up to now. However, the changing economics will have a major affect on the Bills and other smaller markets in the not too distant future. Having a 90 yr old owner who is living in the past will not help the franchise cope with the more challenging economic realities. :flirt:

All this is moot. Until we stop showing up for games, it will be the same

old, same old.

Hit the Bills organization in the pocket, and then they may hire a coach like

Shanny or The Chin.

Doubt it though. We'll hire the next "up and comer" and tout him as the savior

of the organization. Maybe someone who is a good teacher, or something like

that.

Exactly why our fans and mostly our ownership have to adopt the small market strategies for success which means they have to do a better job of beating the bushes for unheralded talent. This means better talent evaluation of players and coaches.

The Packers enjoyed great success with recent low-profile coaches such as Mike Sherman and Mike McCarthy. The Steelers hired two unproven coaches in Bill Cowher and Mike Tomlin and won a Super Bowl with each. Even the maligned Jacksonville Jaguars have outperformed the Bills in recent years.

Throwing big money at name players and coaches is not the answer for success in Bflo. Assembling a solid front office is.

If you have a solid organization, a small budget team can still succeed, although it is harder.

San Jose, You are dead on. When you accept mediocrity you will continue to get it. :flirt:

All this is moot. Until we stop showing up for games, it will be the same

old, same old.

Hit the Bills organization in the pocket, and then they may hire a coach like

Shanny or The Chin.

Doubt it though. We'll hire the next "up and comer" and tout him as the savior

of the organization. Maybe someone who is a good teacher, or something like

that.

Davefan66, With this hardboiled owner you can be sure that if fans didn't show up for games he would gladly move the team claiming that he can't make it in this particular depressed market. He is at a stage in the lease where he can walk away from the stadium without incurring a penalty. If your scenario played out then you would need a passport or enhanced license to cross over to the border in Toronto to watch your former team. The fans are trapped. :flirt:

Davefan66, With this hardboiled owner you can be sure that if fans didn't show up for games he would gladly move the team claiming that he can't make it in this particular depressed market. He is at a stage in the lease where he can walk away from the stadium without incurring a penalty. If your scenario played out then you would need a passport or enhanced license to cross over to the border in Toronto to watch your former team. The fans are trapped. :flirt:

He has a history, see Flutie and Owens, of spending a few bucks when it's important to the bottom line.

He has gone on record many, many times stating he won't move the team, which I believe. Problem is

he's almost a century old, so the next owner may move the team.

I believe if we don't show up for games, Ralph would pull something out of the hat to put fans in the

stands. Hopefully a proven coach.

When Dallas doesn't win a playoff game again there will be an opening. That will be the first choice of anyone on that list.

I wouldn't go that far. I am sure a few of these guys, no matter how much money was thrown at them, would never become JJs B word.

I play this game with my dog where I hold his toy just over his head and then say, "Ya want it? Ya want it?" Then I slap him in the head.

Now I know how he feels.

:flirt:

Karma's a B word. Stop taunting your dog.

I wouldn't go that far. I am sure a few of these guys, no matter how much money was thrown at them, would never become JJs B word.

Shanahan and Jones are tight... I think he will be the next Cowboys coach, unless Wade pulls it together...and then it still might happen....

He has a history, see Flutie and Owens, of spending a few bucks when it's important to the bottom line.

He has gone on record many, many times stating he won't move the team, which I believe. Problem is

he's almost a century old, so the next owner may move the team.

I believe if we don't show up for games, Ralph would pull something out of the hat to put fans in the

stands. Hopefully a proven coach.

Dave, It is difficult for the clueless owner to pull anything out of his hat because he unknowingly is sitting on it. :flirt:

Mike Shanahan ...

Guess which NFL GM is a very prominent member of Oak Hill?

That's right, Mr. Russ Brandon.

Now, what does this mean? Absolutely nothing. It's very possible that this is just a meaningless coincidence. Forget possible, it's likely.

BUT, is it possible with all the shakeups already undergone by the front office that Brandon is schmoozing a potential replacement for Dick in '10 (or sooner)? At the very least, as a prominent member of Oak Hill, it's likely that Brandon knows about Shanahan's visit (even if he wasn't the one who got him on the course). So it gives him reason to talk to Shanahan and ask him how he liked the club.

Again, this is total idol speculation. It's 100% true that Shanahan is playing Oak Hill Saturday but the rest of this post is just wheels turning type thing ...

Is Shanahan your idol? You must have too much idle time on your hands.

Everything from the past six months seems to indicate the team is slicing payroll. Peters was dealt for picks. Dockery, Walker, and Rhodes were cut. Aside from a one year contract to TO, the Bills haven't signed a big UFA in a couple years.

I cannot see RW at 90 making a commitment to someone like Shanahan or Cowher. Don't get me wrong, I want RW to live many more years but the likelihood that he's poised to spend big on a HC (and by virtue a GM) is not realistic. TD was RW's final shot and resurrecting the franchise but now, they're just riding out the string. Mark Gaughan's article in the BN this week shows the team is at the bottom of total contract values, even as the franchise increases in value and profits are rising.

RW's priorities are as a businessman/family man first with football success distantly following.