Guess Which Unemployed NFL Coach is Golfing

CosmicBills

Mike Shanahan ...

Guess which NFL GM is a very prominent member of Oak Hill?

That's right, Mr. Russ Brandon.

Now, what does this mean? Absolutely nothing. It's very possible that this is just a meaningless coincidence. Forget possible, it's likely.

BUT, is it possible with all the shakeups already undergone by the front office that Brandon is schmoozing a potential replacement for Dick in '10 (or sooner)? At the very least, as a prominent member of Oak Hill, it's likely that Brandon knows about Shanahan's visit (even if he wasn't the one who got him on the course). So it gives him reason to talk to Shanahan and ask him how he liked the club.

Again, this is total idol speculation. It's 100% true that Shanahan is playing Oak Hill Saturday but the rest of this post is just wheels turning type thing ...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike Shanahan ...

Now, what does this mean? Absolutely nothing. It's very possible that this is just a meaningless coincidence. Forget possible, it's likely.

BUT, is it possible with all the shakeups already undergone by the front office that Brandon is schmoozing a potential replacement for Dick in '10 (or sooner)? At the very least, as a prominent member of Oak Hill, it's likely that Brandon knows about Shanahan's visit (even if he wasn't the one who got him on the course). So it gives him reason to talk to Shanahan and ask him how he liked the club.

Again, this is total idol speculation. It's 100% true that Shanahan is playing Oak Hill Saturday but the rest of this post is just wheels turning type thing ...

It is as likely to happen as the Bills making the playoffs, but I will play along... Shanahan to the Bills would be one of the few moves that could really regenerate my hope for this franchise... I am fairly certain, if Ralph Wilson is still involved with the franchise, that a guy like Shanahan would not last long... I think Ralph would be hard for him to play for.

Along those lines, I was just watching "Inside the NFL", and Bill Cowher said something obvious, but interesting.... they were doing a "round table" discussion about all of the currently unemployed former NFL headcoaches (Cowher, Shanahan, Dungy, etc) and the panelists were trying to get Cowher to divulge his plans. He wouldn't, but when asked what kind of teams some of these greats would end up next season, Cowher said, and I paraphrase, "none of these guys has to coach, they coach because they love it...all have had a lot of success, they aren't desperate for jobs, and would really only coach teams where winning is a priority throughout the organization... you have to figure, that is not the case for many of the teams that will have vacancies in the next year" Maybe BC wasn't referring to the Bills specifically, but I think he is saying, teams like Buffalo are not very likely to get established coaches, given there dubious track record... now, one of the other panelists, Chris Collinsworth, I think, pointed out that of all of the "greats" available, he would expect Shanahan to be most likely to find a team quickly as he "lives to coach", and "can't be happy about the way things ended for him in Denver".

Personally, I think Marty Schottenheimer is the most realistic "big name" the Bills could lure at this point. I know he has said he is done coaching, but I have also heard it speculated that he could still be interested. I realize, Schottenheimer isn't an exciting choice for most, but I would just love, for once, know that the Bills are being guided, on the field anyways, by a solid football guy, who has a track record of some success... he may never coach the Bills to a Super Bowl, but he is a guy who has a plan, and knows how to turn back the tide of crappiness for moribund franchises, like the Bills... he has a consistent style, built on solid football philosophies that have been successful for decades. Plus, given his history, I think he is one of the few that could work with Ralph Wilson.

Mike Shanahan ...

The moves with Turk and Langston does not suggest a team that plans extensively for future events. It has been said that living in the moment is a virtue. That virtue the Bills embrace.

True or False?

- Ol' Ralphie would never get a strong, independent coach as he is unwilling to relinquish control

- Ol' Ralphie would never pay top dollar for a coach

- Ol' Ralphie would never consider getting Schotty, Shanahan or another football savvy ex-coach to be GM

True or False?

.... and True/False ... If you were a prominent, proven, well-respected coach, with reasonable chance to name your next team, the Buffalo Bills would be right at the top of your list.

On the positive side, the team has great fans. The best. They'll squawk a little once and awhile, but no matter what happens, they'll buy the season tix and fill the stadium.

On the other side, the team is off a 2-8 run, devoid of top talent (or a crop of great young prospects), hasn't made the playoffs in a decade, has a 90+ year old owner who likes to be controlling and doesn't exactly have a pattern of paying for top assistant coaches, scouts, etc.

Sadly, we may be the single most unattractive destination for any top coach, even IF Uncle Ralph were to concede and pay market rate for the coach himself.

At the very least there is attractive personel for Mike Shanahannnnn. Imagine what his running schemes would do with Lynch, Freddy and the young OL. Play action/power running worked in Denver and would fit Buffalo like a warm glove come Nov. Dec. This makes too much sense for me to even dream......

Shanny working under Russ Brandon? :doh:

Has Brandon really done that poorly? He has brought in talent that would never have been here in the past, he has released dead weight, he has gotten picks for players instead of just sending them on their way.

I believe the Jauron situation is out of his hands and lies solely in the wrinkly grasp of Wilson.

Cowher is full of it. For the right amount of money and power, any coach would go anywhere. Half a hypothetical situation because I doubt RW would ever spend the money but let's say after the Bills miss the playoffs again and fire Jauron, he calls Bill Cowher and says "Look, I fired Jauron, we haven't made the playoffs in 10 years. Name your price and what titles you want, bring your own people in, whatever, you got it. Come to Buffalo and turn us into a Championship team". Really think Cowher or Shanahan or anyone would say no? I think they would be here in about 2 minutes. You'd have to be an idiot not to.

I was at Oak Hill last night for a Boy Scouts fundraiser. One of the items in the silent auction was a small Bills football signed by Shanahan.....

OK, it was signed "Ralph Wilson HOF '09". Not sure what it went for.

Ralph would never part with 5 of the 38 million he cleared last year to bring in Shanny.

For the right amount of money and power, any coach would go anywhere. Half a hypothetical situation ... but let's say after the Bills miss the playoffs again and fire Jauron, he calls Bill Cowher and says ... name your price and what titles you want, bring your own people in, whatever, you got it.

Slightly more than half a hypothetical, unfortunately. :-(

True or False?

- Ol' Ralphie would never get a strong, independent coach as he is unwilling to relinquish control

- Ol' Ralphie would never pay top dollar for a coach

- Ol' Ralphie would never consider getting Schotty, Shanahan or another football savvy ex-coach to be GM

you forgot

- Ol' Ralphie is unwilling to fire his current coach as long as there is money due on his contract

so all of the above are moot

Half a hypothetical situation because I doubt RW would ever spend the money but let's say after the Bills miss the playoffs again and fire Jauron, he calls Bill Cowher and says "Look, I fired Jauron, we haven't made the playoffs in 10 years. Name your price and what titles you want, bring your own people in, whatever, you got it. Come to Buffalo and turn us into a Championship team".

And that's the problem. Ralph is not known for letting people name their price.

True or False?

False, Ralph brought in Chuck Knox when the Bills were losing too many games in the 1970s

-Ol' Ralphie would never pay top dollar for a coach

False, he paid top $ for Knox

Since he hasn't yet done this, but has hired Knox as a coach, and gave all power to Donahoe,

whose to say that a guy with more charm than the tyranical Donahoe wouldn't be able to work with Ralph?[/quote]

I was at Oak Hill last night for a Boy Scouts fundraiser. One of the items in the silent auction was a small Bills football signed by Shanahan.....

OK, it was signed "Ralph Wilson HOF '09". Not sure what it went for.

Ralph would never part with 5 of the 38 million he cleared last year to bring in Shanny.

WEO, Are you counting the Toronto bonanza in that $38 million profit? Or did you prorate the upfront money he got in that deal? The old man may not know much about winning football games, but he certainly knows how to make a profit from such a "distressed" area. :doh:

WEO, Are you counting the Toronto bonanza in that $38 million profit? Or did you prorate the upfront money he got in that deal? The old man may not know much about winning football games, but he certainly knows how to make a profit from such a "distressed" area. :doh:

That was $78 million gross, IIRC, in total over 5 years or so. Not sure how much he has to pay Rogers for things like renting the stadium, but even so, he's probably clearing at least $8-10 million a year net off of that deal. Some folks may not like it, but regionalizing the team is the only way the Bills stay in the general area realistically, particularly after Ralph's passing. It's also the only realistic way for this team to compete in the soon to be MLBization of the NFL once Kraft, Snyder and Jones get their way with help from other owners like McNair and Lurie.

WEO, didn't realize you were a Roch guy--we may have something in common after all. I grew up a Roch guy myself--great place to grow up.....