Bell should holdout for more money

Yea Ralph spends no money...way to twist our nuts RW... :):doh:

Dear Tool,

He is making way more than he spends, and takes advantage of a widespread inferiority complex that permeates WNY (I don't mean you of course) to squeeze every drop out of the area. Yes, it is his right, and WNY lets him do it, but I would never blame a player for trying to do the same to R. Wilson.

There is no good reason, given the support that WNY has given the team, that the Bills should have performed as badly (with no end in sight, and actually getting worse) as they have the last 10 years.

He won't spend the money needed to get good front office people, good coaches, and to keep top players.

You haven't noticed this?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Bell is in the perfect position to leverage a nice big contract. After seeing the way the Patriots treated Seymour, it should be clear to him that you have to get everything you can, when you can.

He is probably the lowest paid starting LT in the league.

Yes, I'm serious, this guy deserves a raise.

Jason is that you?

In all seriousness, if Bell shows that he's good enough to be part of the long-term plans at LT, then he should get a raise at that time. To go back to the Tops analogy, Bell hasn't really been given the manager job yet, he's just being asked to help cover the manager's duties after the last one got fired. If he does a good job at that, he'll get promoted to manager, and that's when the raise will come.

What do you say we wait until he makes a couple pro bowls first then we can B word after our cheap front office decides not to pay him :)

I didn't say pay him Pro-Bowler money. Maybe they can bypass a Peters-like situation by paying Bell like an starting LT no? Maybe build up some good will? Maybe go about things differently to show the players that you learned something from the "Peters Situation"? Or maybe go about things differently because you learned from past mistakes?

Nah, they know what they are doing....

Jason is that you?

Yes, it's me.

Man, I have so much to tell you fans. You wouldn't believe what the Bills Organization is really like. My fellow players have told me what it's like around the league, and I have heard about the Raiders, but I can't imagine a bigger bunch of clowns anywhere else in the league. No one respects the coach, Jim Kelly won't go away ( he was great, but c'mon bro, become a coach or move on with your life), Ralph Wilson is like Mr. Burns. Man, I'm saving the rest for my book...

But just to let you know, I'm okay now. The Eagles people really know whats up, I guess it's probably what the Bills Organization used to be like. back in the 90's.

See you in the playoffs, err... I mean good luck in the draft!

Jason P.Dawg

Seriously, he really should demand a new contract. He has the Bills nutty bars in his hands. They are in such straights, they might cough up the same contract the Eagles gave Peters in under 5 minutes.

Thank you.

I'm not that type of person, but I am trying to imagine what Ralph Wilson would do if he were a player in Bell's situation. I bet he would go for the kill. Absolutely!

Wilson would think "I come from a relatively poor background, I have been F&$%ed over by a world famous, supersar athlete father. i have to get what I can NOW! This could set me and my family up for the rest of my life, and what if I get injured before my big payday? I'll be a sympathetic figure for awhile, then a human interest story on the local news ten years from now. What ever happened to that guy that was briefly paralyzed?"

They should add on some incentives to his current contract, and build up some good will. Maybe they can avoid another Peters type mess.

Thank you.

I'm not that type of person, but I am trying to imagine what Ralph Wilson would do if he were a player in Bell's situation. I bet he would go for the kill. Absolutely!

Wilson would think "I come from a relatively poor background, I have been F&$%ed over by a world famous, supersar athlete father. i have to get what I can NOW! This could set me and my family up for the rest of my life, and what if I get injured before my big payday? I'll be a sympathetic figure for awhile, then a human interest story on the local news ten years from now. What ever happened to that guy that was briefly paralyzed?"

They should add on some incentives to his current contract, and build up some good will. Maybe they can avoid another Peters type mess.

Well, he has absolutely insane leverage at the moment. I mean, what are the Bills going to do, cut him? :pirate:

Bell is in the perfect position to leverage a nice big contract. After seeing the way the Patriots treated Seymour, it should be clear to him that you have to get everything you can, when you can.

He has no leverage---the guy hasn't played a down in an NFL regular season game. Where does his supposed leverage come from? Unless you are a 1st round draft pick, you don't hold out for more money before you have even played. You hold out after 1 or 2 good years of being grossly underpaid based on your performance...

I can't tell what you mean by this. Are you commending the GM for quietly assembling some kind of "ethical" team that will someday do great things? Please.

I doubt that Bell would holdout, but I would not blame him. He should be given a raise if they are asking him to play what may be the most difficult position (aside from QB) in football.

My real point is that the Front Office is running this team like a Bells Supermarket (remember those?). Badly, and if a guy is being given major responsibilities, he should be paid at least market value , and not treated like he is still chasing carts on the practice squad. Only a bad organization operates like that. One like the Bills....

This isn't the way the NFL works. It's not like the Bills, or any other team for that matter, are typically going to be willing to renegotiate a player's contract every year. Normally a player has to wait several years between one contract negotiation and the next. (Unless he's a journeyman drifting from team to team.)

Bell is a seventh round draft pick, which probably means he signed a (four?) year contract prior to the beginning of last season. If he plays well this season and the next, he should be in an excellent position to negotiate an extension. If the Bills refuse to negotiate seriously, he plays out the last year of his contract and hits the free agent market.

If, on the other hand, he demands an extension, the Bills are likely to respond in one of two ways. 1) Ignore him, on the theory that giving into his unreasonable demands would set a bad precedent. I consider this response the most likely. 2) Make him agree to a contract extension in exchange for the added pay. The bigger the size of the pay raise, the more years the Bills would add to his contract.

Even assuming Bell gets lucky, and the Bills go with option 2, he's still going to be negotiating from a position of comparative weakness. Bell hasn't yet played a down in the NFL, and he was taken in the seventh round of last year's draft. Until he proves something on the NFL level, the Bills can't know whether he's a long-term answer or a one year fill-in. In the very unlikely event they offered him a pay raise at all, the terms of that offer would reflect his unproven status. So he should spend the next two years proving himself, and then obtain an offer that reflects what he's achieved.

This isn't the way the NFL works. It's not like the Bills, or any other team for that matter, are typically going to be willing to renegotiate a player's contract every year. Normally a player has to wait several years between one contract negotiation and the next. (Unless he's a journeyman drifting from team to team.)

Bell is a seventh round draft pick, which probably means he signed a (four?) year contract prior to the beginning of last season. If he plays well this season and the next, he should be in an excellent position to negotiate an extension. If the Bills refuse to negotiate seriously, he plays out the last year of his contract and hits the free agent market.

If, on the other hand, he demands an extension, the Bills are likely to respond in one of two ways. 1) Ignore him, on the theory that giving into his unreasonable demands would set a bad precedent. I consider this response the most likely. 2) Make him agree to a contract extension in exchange for the added pay. The bigger the size of the pay raise, the more years the Bills would add to his contract.

Even assuming Bell gets lucky, and the Bills go with option 2, he's still going to be negotiating from a position of comparative weakness. Bell hasn't yet played a down in the NFL, and he was taken in the seventh round of last year's draft. Until he proves something on the NFL level, the Bills can't know whether he's a long-term answer or a one year fill-in. In the very unlikely event they offered him a pay raise at all, the terms of that offer would reflect his unproven status. So he should spend the next two years proving himself, and then obtain an offer that reflects what he's achieved.

You're too reasonable!

Really, what I think the Bills should do, in order to avoid a situation similar to the Peters fiasco, is add some incentives to his contract (based on number of starts, blahblahblah). That wouldn't send the wrong message to the players, and would still reward Bell for the great strides that the whole organization is telling the fans/media that he has made, and might be on par with the responsibilities they are asking him to assume.

He'll have to prove himself competent first. He might be out of the league next year. If he proves that he belongs there, yeah, he'll deserve a raise.

He has no leverage---the guy hasn't played a down in an NFL regular season game. Where does his supposed leverage come from? Unless you are a 1st round draft pick, you don't hold out for more money before you have even played. You hold out after 1 or 2 good years of being grossly underpaid based on your performance...

Cha-ching!!

He got a raise. He is in the NFL.

If you were hired as a cart chaser at the local TOPS for minimum wage, worked a couple months, and then they told you it was time to become Store Manager, wouldn't you expect a raise?

In fact that is the way the Bills are running this team. AVP was a cashier, now he is District Manager!

once the player is good, he leaves.. i've been saying for months the bills are a minor league franchise, like a AAA baseball team.. a farm team for the rest of the league...

You're too reasonable!

Really, what I think the Bills should do, in order to avoid a situation similar to the Peters fiasco, is add some incentives to his contract (based on number of starts, blahblahblah). That wouldn't send the wrong message to the players, and would still reward Bell for the great strides that the whole organization is telling the fans/media that he has made, and might be on par with the responsibilities they are asking him to assume.

Obviously you weren't following the Peters' saga too closely. Peters got a new deal after his 2nd season in the NFL, and a nice raise at that, after playing half a season at RT. And in his contract, there was a $1M bonus for playing LT. He immediately demanded to be the highest-paid LT in the NFL after his first Pro Bowl. What I suspect the Bills will do is not pay Bell more until he's scheduled to become a RFA (after his 3rd season), having been burned before.

Dear Tool,

He is making way more than he spends, and takes advantage of a widespread inferiority complex that permeates WNY (I don't mean you of course) to squeeze every drop out of the area. Yes, it is his right, and WNY lets him do it, but I would never blame a player for trying to do the same to R. Wilson.

There is no good reason, given the support that WNY has given the team, that the Bills should have performed as badly (with no end in sight, and actually getting worse) as they have the last 10 years.

He won't spend the money needed to get good front office people, good coaches, and to keep top players.

You haven't noticed this?

I really can't believe you're trying to justify this argument. Bell has not proven anything. The best analogy is the one post about filling in for the store manager. I know when I got promoted to a Supervisor position years ago, there was no raise involved. It was an interim title until I could prove myself. That is what Bell needs to do.

The analogy that you suggest is that every starter in the NFL should hold out until they get paid the average salary despite being an unproven commodity.

I can agree somewhat with your point above. Ralph Wilson has kept the Bills ticket prices among the lowest in the NFL, so the fans in WNY can afford tickets. Personally, I would rather see any revenue generated from tickets go to funding for the Bills organization and not ticket scalpers livelihood. I would say that Bills face value ticket prices are undervalued. With higher prices, they'd possibly have the money to retain a talented front office like they had in the late 80's and into a bit of the 90's. This is a whole different matter.

Unfortunately, it's Ralph Wilson's right to do whatever he wants with the team. I think it sucks that he won't sell the team until he passes. I think it sucks that he will not do anything to guarantee that the Bills stay in WNY after his passing. He has not budgeted anything to construct a good front office and coaching staff. He is thinking bringing in bodies rather than talent will build a winning team. For ten years, we have seen where that thinking gets you.

It's a bit ridiculous for a player who never started a game in the NFL to renogiate his contract and hold out for more money, isn't it? What if every backup QB in the league did this when the starter went down? I will say that if Bell has a solid season and plays well, he will be in a perfect position to make a ton of money.