Moratorium On The Lankster Videos

R. Rich

I never actually clicked on one of those links and it looks like all I missed were some sick people making fun of someone's ailment. :rolleyes:

This is probably my 3rd post so my opinion may not matter, however, the links and comments about Lanskter are ridiculous. How about giving the guy credit for playing hard, making the team and having the guts to get up in front of people to talk. How many press conferences in the NFL have you seen where the player replies with "Yes sir". I am extremely happy he made the team and I honestly hope to see him get significant playing time this year.

GO BILLS

As the parent of a 24 year old daughter who is disabled and who had severe speech problem for a significant part of her life I am saddened that the moderators of this board have continued to allow the vicious attacks on Ellis Lankster. Frankly I am not surprised that the same people who post the amazingly infantile non-contructive items about the team seem to be foaming at the mouth to say something cruel about his stuttering problems.

Are so many of you still thriving in your high school mentalities that you have to bully someone with some type of disability or a physical issue that is just part of who they are? Are you that low that you need to keep getting excited about seeing a manufactured video of a young man who stutters? This is a young man who has successfully gone from high school to college and not to professional football while dealing this this very embarassing problem. Are you the same people who mocked kids like my daughter in the hallways of school thinking it's fun to pick on the special ed kids?

As my recent postings have shown ... I am a fan of the Buffalo Bills who wants my team to win as many games as possible. I am not about name calling but I totally agree that this is a place to criticize what happens with our team. I am not an apologist for the owner, Russ, the "vice presidents of talent," the scouts, the coaches, nor the players. It actually is possible to have a civilized discussion of the faults of the team without sinking to our basest levels and certainly it is sad when any one who thinks of themselves as a fan wants their team to lose.

But these attacks on Lankster .. the snickering, slobbering bullying just needs to stop. I again challenge the moderators to be bold and say no more ... the stuttering doesn't affect him as a player ... let the boards talk about him on the field but let's stop the sickening level of bullying that just lowers this board to an embarassment rather than what I thought it was ... a place to talk about Buffalo Bills' football.

As the parent of a 24 year old daughter who is disabled and who had severe speech problem for a significant part of her life I am saddened that the moderators of this board have continued to allow the vicious attacks on Ellis Lankster. Frankly I am not surprised that the same people who post the amazingly infantile non-contructive items about the team seem to be foaming at the mouth to say something cruel about his stuttering problems.

Are so many of you still thriving in your high school mentalities that you have to bully someone with some type of disability or a physical issue that is just part of who they are? Are you that low that you need to keep getting excited about seeing a manufactured video of a young man who stutters? This is a young man who has successfully gone from high school to college and not to professional football while dealing this this very embarassing problem. Are you the same people who mocked kids like my daughter in the hallways of school thinking it's fun to pick on the special ed kids?

As my recent postings have shown ... I am a fan of the Buffalo Bills who wants my team to win as many games as possible. I am not about name calling but I totally agree that this is a place to criticize what happens with our team. I am not an apologist for the owner, Russ, the "vice presidents of talent," the scouts, the coaches, nor the players. It actually is possible to have a civilized discussion of the faults of the team without sinking to our basest levels and certainly it is sad when any one who thinks of themselves as a fan wants their team to lose.

But these attacks on Lankster .. the snickering, slobbering bullying just needs to stop. I again challenge the moderators to be bold and say no more ... the stuttering doesn't affect him as a player ... let the boards talk about him on the field but let's stop the sickening level of bullying that just lowers this board to an embarassment rather than what I thought it was ... a place to talk about Buffalo Bills' football.

That's what this thread is about.

I agree with your ideas about the juvenile ideas behind those posts!!

Actually, I've been quite surprised by the members of this board and the maturity and understanding they have shown, outside of a few who either didn't understand why he was speaking that way, or just didn't care.

Care to provide a link or hit "report" on those attacks, or are you referring to the threads that had already been removed before R. Rich posted this warning on behalf of the moderating staff you're criticizing?

Thanks.

Care to provide a link or hit "report" on those attacks, or are you referring to the threads that had already been removed before R. Rich posted this warning on behalf of the moderating staff you're criticizing?

Thanks.

Lori,

If you have started cleaning things up I apologize ... I do not know who is on the staff and therefore didn't realize he was staff rather than one of the many readers who are just so tired of the juvenile attitudes. My reply was to support Rich, who I thought was another reader.

The denigration of the discussions here gets very frustrating and when they stuppidly sink into mocking someone's speech patterns it strikes way too close to home and after a long day at work I had to speak out.

The moderators have a very difficult job because there are more and more individuals who just like to attack rather than criticize.

GO BILLS and HOORAY for those individuals with disABILITIES who use their abilities to succeed in spite of the challenges in their lives!

Lori,

If you have started cleaning things up I apologize ... I do not know who is on the staff and therefore didn't realize he was staff rather than one of the many readers who are just so tired of the juvenile attitudes. My reply was to support Rich, who I thought was another reader.

The denigration of the discussions here gets very frustrating and when they stuppidly sink into mocking someone's speech patterns it strikes way too close to home and after a long day at work I had to speak out.

The moderators have a very difficult job because there are more and more individuals who just like to attack rather than criticize.

GO BILLS and HOORAY for those individuals with disABILITIES who use their abilities to succeed in spite of the challenges in their lives!

Lori's key point was that there is this bright red button below your display name titled "Report". If you think something needs our attention - then report it. Most of us don't read all 1500 posts per day, every day, year after year.

Lori's key point was that there is this bright red button below your display name titled "Report". If you think something needs our attention - then report it. Most of us don't read all 1500 posts per day, every day, year after year.

Slackers! :)

No seriously, the report button is a good idea.

I really don't understand all the fuss about the video. I don't think the intent was to make fun of Ellis. Classic hip hop.

It is far from classic hip hop. It's a hip hop mashup using the kid's disability.

If somebody wants to give the guy respect, they should post his real raps.

I've only used the report button once and it was because somebody started a very vicious thread about somebody I have a lot of respect for. That's the only time I've used it.

I leave it to others to report posts. Most of them are just juvenile and don't deserve any acknowledgement. JMO

ETA: I worked with a girl who had a speech impairment and it never bothered me. She is one of the sweetest people I know. She worked with a pathologist and doesn't stutter anymore.

im so glad there are some people that have familiarity with speech problems because i have a question on this topic

now, to avoid confusion and jumping to conclusions, i have to state some assumptions about this situation:

- nobody deserves to be cruelly ridiculed about ANYTHING EVER

- there is a night and day difference between ridicule and teasing. i tease my loved ones all the time, and i expect and like to get teased by my loved ones. teasing is a way of experssing affection, like 'we are all in this boat together'. i just teased my beloved aging father a few minutes ago because he called me by my uncles name - and then my fathers OWN name! - instead of my own. we laughed pretty much nonstop for several minutes

- disabled people are viable targets to be teased just like anybody else. i myself am disabled with a damaged spine and my loved ones tease me about not being able to catch them or because i walk like the Penguin or i swear like i have turets syndrome when i get a pain attack

- if you ask, most disabled people WANT to be treated just like anybody else, including being teased for their physical or mental limitations

- if you do it right, people should be able to easily tell when you are just teasing. sure, there may be the occassional misunderstanding, but if you tease with love then thats usually just because someone is hypersensitive to ANY teasing in an unhealthy manner

- the only time i DONT tease a disabled person is when they cant handle it. i used to help retarded kids play baseball and THEY used to make jokes about ME being a retard! and those ones i would give it right back to them. but of course some of those kids didnt have the mental facilties to be able to distinguish between lovingly teasing someone and getting ridiculed. even some able bodied people freak the heck out when they get teased, which i think is a problem, but i dont tease those kinds of folks either, though i will tell them they should seek a solution because nobody should be that sensitive to good natured teasing

now finally, onto the question:

- how much should the rest of the people have to endure to accommodate a disabled person?

listen, if lankster was my friend i would feel OBLIGATED to tease him over that press conference. that was so bad, so tremendously uncomfortable, that it became funny. not a viciously mean 'you are an inferior soul' kind of funny that i personally dont find funny at all, but a 'holy crap dude you were so freaking awful i couldnt stop laughing' kind of hilarity - and i would expect he would laugh along with me 'yeah dude i was really bad lmao'

we all shouldnt have to endure his complete inability to conduct a press conference. maybe lankster didnt think he would do that badly, but he did. so really, the onus is on lankster HIMSELF to do something about this. he either has to get some therapy that will allow him to conduct acceptable press conferences or he has to give up conducting them if he cant find a way to do better than that

i used to be a ski patroller and an excellent skiier. what if i was to be honored with some ski related award and i wanted to ski down the bunny slope to receive it. what if it took me forty-five minutes to get down the slope because of my condition. do i require everybody else to just sit there and wait for me because im disabled? 'oh look at that poor man, i will just sit here patiently for almost an hour because im such a great person'

are you starting to see my point?

being loving and understanding toward disabled people DOES NOT mean that we have to endure completely ridiculously uncomfortable situations in an effort to be 'sensitive'

there is a line of reasonableness, and from my perspective lankster went waaay over that line - so far in fact that it became funny, and if he were my brother or equally close friend i would snicker about it for months and we would laugh our asses off over it

so, people with knowledge about speech pathology problems and the like, how much leeway should we properly give someone with a speech disability? where is the line drawn between their inability to conduct a reasonable press conference and my desire to give them a chance to try?

we all shouldnt have to endure his complete inability to conduct a press conference. maybe lankster didnt think he would do that badly, but he did. so really, the onus is on lankster HIMSELF to do something about this. he either has to get some therapy that will allow him to conduct acceptable press conferences or he has to give up conducting them if he cant find a way to do better than that

Waaaaay too much in this post to address, so I'll just go with this. BTW, there is a big difference between teasing between friends and complete ridiculing by people you don't even know. If that's not understood, nothing will change your mind on that.

How do you know he hasn't tried to improve his speech? Speech Therapy works great for some, not at all for others. Techniques such as gentle onset, slowed speech, relaxed breathing.....can, in the opinion of the stutterer, make you sound worse then the actual stutter. Even if he did improve his speech through therapy, it can creep back up on you at any moment. Bad days are common, stuttering is never cured, only managed.

The problem with stuttering is it's not fully understood and enough research hasn't been put into it. 100 years ago, you were just considered dumb. 50 years ago it was looked at as a psychological problem. The current school of thought is it is a neurological issue where there is a breakdown between the formation of words in the brain and the vocal chords, or there is an excess of certain chemicals in the brain. People often say slow down, relax....doesn't work that way. People also relate it only to stressful situations and nerves...that's not the cause, it just compounds the underlying issue.

Do you think Lankster choose to have that press conference? I doubt it. The media wanted to speak with him after a good game and a rookie isn't going to say no to the team when being put in that situation. If the media doesn't want to deal with it, they'll stop interviewing him.

I'm not sure how any of us "have to endure (anything) to accommodate a disabled person" in this case, as you put it. How are you accommodating him by listening to an internet posting, that was posted as a form of mockery with little understanding of why he was speaking like that. This is hardly good natured ribbing between friends.

Teasing a friend does not equal anonymously mocking someone from the relative safety of a computer keyboard.

Any links to this video will continue to be removed. This is not open to debate.

Regards,

the management

im sorry my friend but right now you sound to me like one of those internet arguers and homey dont play dat. a prime symptom to diagnosing internet arguers is when they dont answer or address the key point blank question as its proposed. a poster who doesnt answer that question or contribute to its answer directly, then i usually interpret that as clues to an internet arguer. for time and mental health reasons i will eventually squelch those kinds of personalities out once i feel its become confirmed. so yeah i hope youre not one of those and if not i apologize

so to refresh:

how far does everyone else have to go to accomodate someone elses disability?

lets say im lanksters actual brother, and im also his boss at the time running a successful agency company to which he is both a client and participant in, and of course i love him

after that press conference i would say to him as his boss his friend and brother:

dude that was horrible. you cant do that again

like ive said, i would probably start that discussion out by making jokes about it and lmao with him

but then i would say listen man you got the bread now, lets look up some therapists and get started on seeing how we can improve on what we now both admit was a disaster

id like to stick to that if we can

imagine lankster becomes the best player the bills ever had. would we have to endure that every time we wanted to hear him speak? of course not. i wouldnt want that for me as a fan or me as a brother or me as the stutterer myself. if thats the best i could do i would just have twitter news conferences or learn sign language or sumpin

where would we end up drawing that line fifteen years into his first ballot hof career?

how much improvement on lanksters inaugeral self-resampling press conference are WE (me and my beloved brother) looking for if he is going to attempt another event like that?

im sorry my friend but right now you sound to me like one of those internet arguers and homey dont play dat. a prime symptom to diagnosing internet arguers is when they dont answer or address the key point blank question as its proposed. a poster who doesnt answer that question or contribute to its answer directly, then i usually interpret that as clues to an internet arguer. for time and mental health reasons i will eventually squelch those kinds of personalities out once i feel its become confirmed. so yeah i hope youre not one of those and if not i apologize

so to refresh:

how far does everyone else have to go to accomodate someone elses disability?

lets say im lanksters actual brother, and im also his boss at the time running a successful agency company to which he is both a client and participant in, and of course i love him

after that press conference i would say to him as his boss his friend and brother:

dude that was horrible. you cant do that again

like ive said, i would probably start that discussion out by making jokes about it and lmao with him

but then i would say listen man you got the bread now, lets look up some therapists and get started on seeing how we can improve on what we now both admit was a disaster

id like to stick to that if we can

imagine lankster becomes the best player the bills ever had. would we have to endure that every time we wanted to hear him speak? of course not. i wouldnt want that for me as a fan or me as a brother or me as the stutterer myself. if thats the best i could do i would just have twitter news conferences or learn sign language or sumpin

where would we end up drawing that line fifteen years into his first ballot hof career?

how much improvement on lanksters inaugeral self-resampling press conference are WE (me and my beloved brother) looking for if he is going to attempt another event like that?

:unsure: Wow

Either you picked a very appropriate nickname, or welcome back Hogboy.

If you're being serious, I'd be happy to answer it.

I was being serious.

He obviously has some sort of speech impediment...but from a legitimate, clinical standpoint, does that qualify as a stutter? I ask because I've never heard a stutterer that repeats an entire phrase like that, so I was wondering if it's truly a stutter or something else...

At any rate, it takes a hell of a lot of guts for the kid to get up in front of a microphone like that. I dare say he's a better public speaker than most of us would be.

Shoretalk, You can't shame fools. I didn't see the video and I don't need to. Anyone who ridicules someone who stutters or has some other disability makes a very clear statement about their own lack of maturity and character. I didn't know until the posting on this board that Lankster has struggled with stuttering. What I know about him now is that he has gone to college and performed at a very high level in a major college football program. To say he beat the odds as a low draft choice to make the roster is an understatement. He achieved this long shot accomplishment through his work ethic, character and will. His willingness to speak publicly with the stuttering also demonstrates a lot of courage. Certainly, a lot more than some moronic and anonymous posters.

I don't have much respect for the Bills' organization. It is dysfunctional and inept from the top down. But one player I'm going to root for is Lankster.

I was being serious.

He obviously has some sort of speech impediment...but from a legitimate, clinical standpoint, does that qualify as a stutter? I ask because I've never heard a stutterer that repeats an entire phrase like that, so I was wondering if it's truly a stutter or something else...

At any rate, it takes a hell of a lot of guts for the kid to get up in front of a microphone like that. I dare say he's a better public speaker than most of us would be.

From my experience, he probably has a block. There are two main types of stutterers, those who block and those who repeat sounds.

What he's doing is a coping mechanism. He knows the next word he is going to say isn't going to come out and he can't find a replacement. By repeating the first two words, he's trying to transition into the third.

You basically have three options when you block. Try to force the word out which isn't likely to happen without starting over. You can replace the word with another one you know will come out, which is the preferred method for most people who block. Or, you can try to transition into the word as he did.

A valid argument can be made that the transition he was trying sounds worse then the actual stutter, but people don't understand that once you start blocking on a word, it may be the only way to get it out.

From my experience, he probably has a block. There are two main types of stutterers, those who block and those who repeat sounds.

What he's doing is a coping mechanism. He knows the next word he is going to say isn't going to come out and he can't find a replacement. By repeating the first two words, he's trying to transition into the third.

You basically have three options when you block. Try to force the word out which isn't likely to happen without starting over. You can replace the word with another one you know will come out, which is the preferred method for most people who block. Or, you can try to transition into the word as he did.

A valid argument can be made that the transition he was trying sounds worse then the actual stutter, but people don't understand that once you start blocking on a word, it may be the only way to get it out.

That actually makes quite a bit of sense...I know quite a few people that do that, and I suspect that most people do occasionally (I know I do on rare occasions; I've heard probably about a quarter of the people I work with do it once or twice).

Thanks for the edumacation. :unsure: