So if Edwards absolutely tanks the first two games

Rayzer32

When Vick comes back week 3, word is that Feeley will be odd man out in Philly. I know he is no superstar at the QB position, but is he any worse than the Bills other two options behind TE. Just a thought.

And I also don't know why Kelly hasn't been hired as QB coach yet. He is what the Bills need right now. I could see Jimbo going up to TO and backhanding him if he blows up on the sidelines.

When Vick comes back week 3, word is that Feeley will be odd man out in Philly. I know he is no superstar at the QB position, but is he any worse than the Bills other two options behind TE. Just a thought.

And I also don't know why Kelly hasn't been hired as QB coach yet. He is what the Bills need right now. I could see Jimbo going up to TO and backhanding him if he blows up on the sidelines.

He's certainly not any better. He tanked as a starter in Miami, and outside of a couple starts in 2002 he hasn't really done much in his career. I see no reason to waste a roster spot bringing in a career 3rd stringer who does not know the Buffalo system to be a backup. Heck the Bills QBs who've practiced in the system are having a heck of a time with the Buffalo system.

Guest dog14787

If Edwards tanks we have a very good back up in Fitz, with a good defense I'm confident Fitz can win some football games.

Maybe we haven't hired Machine Gun because he doesn't want to be hired. I'm thinking 'duh'. Do you know for a fact he's applied for the job?

One common line of thought is that all of the Superbowl era players need to swoop in and set things straight. You know, come in and right the wrongs and all that. I tend to think that's total wishful thinking and not very realistic. Until we stop this ridiculous carousel of coaches, coordinators, and QBs, this is about as good as it gets.

Last year Edwards was a later round gem that was going to finally be our QB. This year we're already planning his demise and hunting the next savior. If Edwards tanks, Fitz is not going to step in and lead the team to glory. If we're already planning and anticipating that, the season is already a waste.

Name me 5 superstar hall of fame type players who have taken jobs as coaches.

Then name me two of them who have been highly sucessful as a coach.

The one you could argue is Mike Singletary, though he certainly has not had any success to date as a coach unless you count making headlines for bizarre behaviour. I'd even go as far as to say the things he's done to date is typical of why highly successful players don't make good coaches. While he is a hall of famer, I don't think he was anywhere near the limelight that a guy like Kelly was at either.

Successful players typcially make poor coaches because either things came too easy for them, and they can't relate to players who can't perfome at top levels, or they are the opposite type who worked extra hard for everything, then can't handle players who don't give 110% every minute of every game/practice/ meeting/ etc. On the other hand backups often saw the game through a coaches eyes on the sideline. Things didn't come easy for them and can relate better to others as they don't have an attitude that stars often have.

Besides which people who are set for life with money aren't willing to put in the hours needed to coach.

Maybe we haven't hired Machine Gun because he doesn't want to be hired. I'm thinking 'duh'. Do you know for a fact he's applied for the job?

Well common sense would bring one to believe he is very interested in the Bills success, or lack thereof. He has shown interest in putting together a team of investors to buy the team from RW. Seeing him on the sidelines as one of the Bills biggest cheerleaders, many times, would also bring one to believe he wants to be involved with this team. I am sure if he wanted nothing to do with any part of coaching or other behind the scenes duties with the Bills, it would have been well known around here by now. JK still bleeds Buffalo red, white and blue. Seeing him on the sidelines in a blizzard high fiving players and going nuts makes me think he still wants to be right there on gameday.

Well common sense would bring one to believe he is very interested in the Bills success, or lack thereof. He has shown interest in putting together a team of investors to buy the team from RW. Seeing him on the sidelines as one of the Bills biggest cheerleaders, many times, would also bring one to believe he wants to be involved with this team. I am sure if he wanted nothing to do with any part of coaching or other behind the scenes duties with the Bills, it would have been well known around here by now. JK still bleeds Buffalo red, white and blue. Seeing him on the sidelines in a blizzard high fiving players and going nuts makes me think he still wants to be right there on gameday.

Big difference between being a fan and a coach.

And I could see him joining TO in that blowup.

We do not need Kelly, or Thomas, or Smith, or Talley, or <insert any SB year player> to fix this team.

Did the Bills of the late 80's early 90's need Kemp and company?

Name me 5 superstar hall of fame type players who have taken jobs as coaches.

Then name me two of them who have been highly sucessful as a coach.

The one you could argue is Mike Singletary, though he certainly has not had any success to date as a coach unless you count making headlines for bizarre behaviour. I'd even go as far as to say the things he's done to date is typical of why highly successful players don't make good coaches. While he is a hall of famer, I don't think he was anywhere near the limelight that a guy like Kelly was at either.

Successful players typcially make poor coaches because either things came too easy for them, and they can't relate to players who can't perfome at top levels, or they are the opposite type who worked extra hard for everything, then can't handle players who don't give 110% every minute of every game/practice/ meeting/ etc. On the other hand backups often saw the game through a coaches eyes on the sideline. Things didn't come easy for them and can relate better to others as they don't have an attitude that stars often have.

Besides which people who are set for life with money aren't willing to put in the hours needed to coach.

Well it's also pretty obvious Harvard Grads don't make very good NFL coaches either. I don't think it matters what your background is to make you a successful coach in the NFL. One man can't do it alone, he would have to surround himself with other capable coaches as well.

Absolutely agree, he wants to be there on game day, but does he want to put in 10 to 15 hours a day Monday thru Saturday also? Plus many hours. weeks in offseason. Thats why he's interested in potentially owning the team as then he can high five the players on game day and relax the other six days.

As I stated earlier, name me some hall of fame type players who have become successful coaches?? It doesn't happen. They don't want to make the committment for the low return financially, but they still enjoy the thrill of winning so do like being on the sideline and being part of the game.

I think it does matter. How many hall of fame players are successful coaches? Name me five! If you can't then background does appear to matter. The way most people become head coaches is they start out as a position coach, then become coordinator, then eventually a head coach. Often the person who was a good position or coordinator doesn't work out as a head coach, at least not the first time. Background completely matters, however it doesn't mean everyone who follows this path turns out to be a good coach. But all the coaches do follow this path. I don't recall any who came from Wall Street or was a former CEO. The head coach needs to be able to hire people who will be good assistants, which likely is a trait you develop in your years as an assistant, seeing what coaches work well and what type of things coaches do doesn't work. Just as the coach needs to motivate players, they also need to motivate other coaches. Lead by example.

Well it's also pretty obvious Harvard Grads don't make very good NFL coaches either. I don't think it matters what your background is to make you a successful coach in the NFL. One man can't do it alone, he would have to surround himself with other capable coaches as well.

Feeley has sucked on multiple teams.

As for Jimbo he has said he has no interest in coaching. T.O. has not been a problem so far on the sidelines so why address a problem before it exists?