I heard Marty Schottenheimer on Sirius radio today and

Tipster19

He was talking about how much success he had in turning losing teams around. He then stated that one of the first mindsets he would implement is that he wasn't looking for players to be better than what they were but instead he just wanted them to be the best that they could be. Simple but profound in my opinion. I have to question not only our coaching but the mindset of our team which is directly related. I think that Schottenheimer would be an excellent coach for our perennial underachievers and if Jauron gets the boot then this is the guy that I would like to replace him with.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He was talking about how much success he had in turning losing teams around. He then stated that one of the first mindsets he would implement is that he wasn't looking for players to be better than what they were but instead he just wanted them to be the best that they could be. Simple but profound in my opinion. I have to question not only our coaching but the mindset of our team which is directly related. I think that Schottenheimer would be an excellent coach for our perennial underachievers and if Jauron gets the boot then this is the guy that I would like to replace him with.

Our coaches mindset:

"Practice hard and really like each other"

simple but profound...

Marty Ball is a joke and I would never want him as the Bills head coach. Talk about conservative -- it would resemble the same offense we have now. He couldn't win with arguably the most talented team in the NFL a few yrs ago in San Diego. How would he be the solution. No thanks.

Marty Ball is a joke and I would never want him as the Bills head coach. Talk about conservative -- it would resemble the same offense we have now. He couldn't win with arguably the most talented team in the NFL a few yrs ago in San Diego. How would he be the solution. No thanks.

I think of Marty in the way I think of Chuck Knox. If you have a MISERABLE team (think Detroit), those guys can make you competitive. Maybe get you to the playoffs, after a few years. But that's pretty much their top-end.

I think Schottenheimer would be perfect in Buffalo. I think he would have the Bills in the playoffs in 2 years. I think there is talent on the team but seriously underperforming due to the coaching. Marty ball perfectly suits Buffalo - when the weather turns, you must run, predominantly. FYI - during the Super years and the K-Gun attack, Buffalo led the League (or AFC, not sure) in rushing most of those years. Remember when Thurman set the playoff rushing record against the Fins?

Marty Schottenheimer is a good coach. He can build a bad team into a regular season power house. He builds the D with the front 7 and builds the O with the O-line and ground game. He plays conservatively sure but he plays smart and it wins you games during the regular season. He is the perfect guy for the Bills who need a guy to take them to the playoffs. YET Marty ball doesn't win in the playoffs.

In San Diego he didn't let Brees or Rivers open up the Offense when teams (Remember this is the playoffs so teams are good enough to take away an element of your game) were limiting LT by game planning around him. He plays not to loose which isn't a recipe for success come post season time when you have to take the game from the other team.

So Marty is the perfect guy for the Bills we need to build this team to compete for the playoffs and Marty can do that.

But if we were in the same position as the Chargers, we'd all be trying to tear Schottenheimer's throat out for never getting us to the promised land. It's all about perspective.

Indeed. Jauron is just a poor-man's Marty.

Right...he couldn't win the big one, that's understood, but his teams were solid and he took teams to the playoffs.

Did he mention how poorly he has done in the playoffs?

Just curious.

True...why would we want to have a winning record? I guess you'd rather go 7-9 forever, and not actually make the playoffs?

I doubt Marty is ever our coach. That said, he was a couple of fumbles away from the big dance in Cleveland. He won in KC with the likes of Steve Deberg and Older Joe Montana. He put together one of Snyder's only winning teams in Wash. And he lost playoff games to two pretty good teams coached by some of the best coaches in the history of the NFL. I think Marty can coach in Buffalo any day and not have to apologize for anything.

But if we were in the same position as the Chargers, we'd all be trying to tear Schottenheimer's throat out for never getting us to the promised land. It's all about perspective.

But Marty takes you pretty far not quite the promise land but a lot better than what this franchise has become over the last decade. So while Marty won't win us a title he would take us to a place that we would like to be the playoffs.

No one remembers the first place loser (ok except for maybe Bills fans). If Marty were to "build" a playoff contender, only to lose each year -- as been his history --- I am certain the same people saying how great a coach he would be for the Bills would be running him out of town just the same. And who's to say we don't have a playoff-caliber team already here.

We need players that step it up when the spotlight is on them, not curl up. Aside from the MNF cowboys game, our players have laid eggs in the national spotlight.

No one remembers the first place loser (ok except for maybe Bills fans). If Marty were to "build" a playoff contender, only to lose each year -- as been his history --- I am certain the same people saying how great a coach he would be for the Bills would be running him out of town just the same. And who's to say we don't have a playoff-caliber team already here.

We need players that step it up when the spotlight is on them, not curl up. Aside from the MNF cowboys game, our players have laid eggs in the national spotlight.

we are a borderline playoff team talentwise. we arent close to a playoff team in character, smarts or toughness.

Don't get me wrong at some point you have to can Marty just to get past the point he brought you to. BUT I think you have to be thankful to the guy that brings you back from the darkness to the playoffs. Lets worry about being first loser when we get there right now we are like 21st looser.