The ONLY problem with the Bills and the playoffs

tennesseeboy

I finally sat down and watched the Buffalo Pittsburgh game all the way through. The offensive line is not doing the job, and at least at this moment is crippling every other element of the offensive game. Losing Peters, not drafting an offensive lineman as a first choice are the worst decisions the bills have made in years, and that includes a lot of bad decisions.

It is a wonder Edwards LIVED through that game. TO and Evans could have been open downfield, but TE would have been lying on his back long before he got a chance to throw. I was buying the argument of many that it was TE...but it ain't so. I have to LAUGH that we think bringing in another RECEIVER will help. Randy Moss, Jerry Rice and Andre Reed won't help if the quarterback doesn't have time to throw. Jim Kelly would be on his ass with this line. Joe Montana would be on his ass with this line. Unless we see better play from the o-line i'm seeing four wins as a major achievement.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally sat down and watched the Buffalo Pittsburgh game all the way through. The offensive line is not doing the job, and at least at this moment is crippling every other element of the offensive game. Losing Peters, not drafting an offensive lineman as a first choice are the worst decisions the bills have made in years, and that includes a lot of bad decisions.

It is a wonder Edwards LIVED through that game. TO and Evans could have been open downfield, but TE would have been lying on his back long before he got a chance to throw. I was buying the argument of many that it was TE...but it ain't so. I have to LAUGH that we think bringing in another RECEIVER will help. Randy Moss, Jerry Rice and Andre Reed won't help if the quarterback doesn't have time to throw. Jim Kelly would be on his ass with this line. Joe Montana would be on his ass with this line. Unless we see better play from the o-line i'm seeing four wins as a major achievement.

We must have seen different games. I thought there were times when the o-line was beat, but there were many times when Edwards had time to throw, hesitated, and dumped down. Unless you're playing the Bills defense, most QB's aren't going to have all day to throw; there was enough time, in my opinion, to at least look downfield.

But even if you're right and I'm wrong, shouldn't the coaches then be calling WR routes that take less time to develop. I didn't see a slant, a quick out, a timing-route fade, etc. when TE was in there. Just a bunch of inane 7-yard curls and RB dump-downs.

I don't know what you were watching, but Trent had plenty of time to throw on many occasions. He definitely had time to throw on his pick six.

One huge reason Edwards has turned into Captain Checkdown is our receivers don't have time to get down field before the pocket collapses. Furthermore defenses don't fear our running attack because we simply cannot open holes. So they all play close to the line. It's a viscious cycle: you can't have a run game without passing...you can't pass without a run game.

PTR

We must have seen different games. I thought there were times when the o-line was beat, but there were many times when Edwards had time to throw, hesitated, and dumped down. Unless you're playing the Bills defense, most QB's aren't going to have all day to throw; there was enough time, in my opinion, to at least look downfield.

But even if you're right and I'm wrong, shouldn't the coaches then be calling WR routes that take less time to develop. I didn't see a slant, a quick out, a timing-route fade, etc. when TE was in there. Just a bunch of inane 7-yard curls and RB dump-downs.

spot on! Not one slant. Not one quick pass. It is very discouraging howver keep in kind that preseason has absolutly noting to do with the regular season. These players are so good that they can turn their skills on and off at will.

One huge reason Edwards has turned into Captain Checkdown is our receivers don't have time to get down field before the pocket collapses. Furthermore defenses don't fear our running attack because we simply cannot open holes. So they all play close to the line. It's a viscious cycle: you can't have a run game without passing...you can't pass without a run game.

PTR

The problem with the run game is defenses have NO FEAR that Trent will throw the ball downfield so they play 8 in the box. Lee can get downfield if Trent could only get the ball to him.

1.) There are MANY other problems keeping the Bills from the playoffs than just one thing. That one thing is certainly not the offensive line.

2.) The pass protection by the line in the Pittsburgh game was excellent. No idea what you were watching. Were you high?

3.) We did select a lineman with a 1st rounder. His name is Eric Wood. Don't know if you've heard of him.

Dick Jauron is the only problem between this team and a winning record. Period.

Weak leadership from the top and not holding players accountable for their play has been this team's dirty little secret and it's what ails them the most.

The problem with the run game is defenses have NO FEAR that Trent will throw the ball downfield so they play 8 in the box. Lee can get downfield if Trent could only get the ball to him.

It all loops back. When Trent started he had no trouble getting the ball downfield. Jauron pretty much cut his balls off. The end result is what you see.

PTR

The problem I see is on the right side of the line. Hangartner did a great job on Hampton and Walker played great against probably one of the best DE's in Harrison. The right side got no real push on running plays but Pitt brings at least 1-2 guys every play besides a 3rd and long. Trent has to start being more decisive, it doesn't matter how much time he has. He is gun shy, once a QB loses his balls its over with.

PTR

I think it is the complete opposite.

Team know that they do not have to defend a pass further than 10 yards so they bring the entire defense up into the box which makes running the ball damn near impossible. You are right on one thing, it is a vicious cycle: Trent won't throw downfield so teams are taking away the run and sitting on the short routes. Until we show that we are going to throw downfield more than ocassionally, we are going to face this same issue. Think of it this way, basically we are facing a goalline defense all the time. Trent needs to start chucking it downfield. Even if he doesn't complete the pass, it will back off defenses and open up more of the field.

"It all starts,

or stops,

with the offensive line".

(for the eleventeenth goojillion time)

I was thinking about that this morning while listening to WGR and they were bashing

"Captain Checkdown".

I know Trent missed a few receivers and really didn't toss the long ball the last few

games. I place it squarely on the OL, the dude has happy feet because he does not trust

them. Don't know if he's getting killed in practice also, but man, he looks scared and is

pretty much convinced the longer pass won't be there before he even takes a snap. It's

automatic, he gives a quick look past the line, then tosses it to the short receiver.

They better figure a way to complete some passes longer than 5 yards, be it slants or whatnot,

or this guy is going to the garbage heap quickly.

It's going to be a long, long year....

Yup, if we could draft Mike Williams all over again- we'd be all set. He was a unanimous can't miss prospect- remember? A good running game will help, and a good running game isn't all about the O-line... it's about brilliance in play-calling and back with foresight and will.

Gotta disagree for the most part. From what I have seen the O-line is playing quite well on passing plays and giving TE enough time to do something more than checking down to the last option every time. Your point holds more true re: the running game as there are few holes out there so far, although they've really only run basic up the gut plays. Something has got to change and change fast with TE because his loss of confidence has shrunk the field and made things real easy for defenses against us.

I disagree as well Tenn-boy. True, it's a revamped line, but I think it will work out well. I've seen reason for promise with them. Enough so, that -for the first time- I'm questioning Edwards as a long time solution at QB..

Not only did we draft a starting OL in the first round, we also drafted a starting OL in the second round.

Patience, and "Stay thirsty, my friend" ;)

I disagree as well Tenn-boy. True, it's a revamped line, but I think it will work out well. I've seen reason for promise with them. Enough so, that -for the first time- I'm questioning Edwards as a long time solution at QB..

Not only did we draft a starting OL in the first round, we also drafted a starting OL in the second round.

Patience, and "Stay thirsty, my friend" ;)

God I hate those commercials :unsure:

Guest dog14787

PTR

Go long they say, while his O-line collapses around him, go long, go long the fans say as his own teammates gets shoved into his face like a bunch of rag dolls. Go long you glove wearing Mary and so what if the next concussion ends your career and also ends this teams chances of making the playoffs which has been going on for a decade, by all means go long, go long

WTF!!! :censored:

I completely disagree.

I've watched each game twice now, in brutal detail, and Trent had plenty of time to throw on the vast majority of passing plays called in each game. He looks totally unsure of himself out there (outside of his one throw to Evans in the Chicago game--that was better even if it was a little underthrown, I can handle that). If he really is afraid of playing behind this line, then he doesn't belong in the NFL, because they're doing fine in pass protection. Their run blocking, however, leaves something to be desired, but I agree with FLBillsFan and Maddog that it's a result of defenses crowding the line--that, and Buffalo doesn't have a tight end that can block at all (Schouman is a disgrace out there).

Trent has time, he's just not getting the job done.

Go long they say, while his O-line collapses around him, go long, go long the fans say as his own teammates gets shoved into his face like a bunch of rag dolls. Go long you glove wearing Mary and so what if the next concussion ends your career and also ends this teams chances of making the playoffs which has been going on for a decade, by all means go long, go long

WTF!!! :censored:

Outside of the Levitre play against Tennessee, when has a lineman been shoved into his face this pre-season? I don't remember any other instances, can you give me one?