Lost in the Shuffle

C.Biscuit97

Preaseason is gay but with all the whining on the board, I thought some positivity could be used. Our defense has played pretty well. We are 6th overall in ypg: 286.8 ( http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?arc...e&Submit=Go ), 2nd in rushing yards per carry: 2.7 ( http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?off...mp;d-447263-p=1 ), and tied for 2nd in INTs: 7 ( http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?arc...e&Submit=Go ).

Obviously, the offense has been terrible but those are pretty positive #s out of the defense. Especially considering we have been playing without our 1st round DE most of camp. If we get any sort of offense (and I think a HOF receiver will help), this season might not be as terrible as a lot of you think.

I apologize for being positive. :ph34r:

Preaseason is gay but with all the whining on the board,

Why are you calling people names? You just hurt my feelings, and I want to let you know that it is my right to whine, excuse me, it is my right to complain, I meant, it is my right to vent and criticize the Bills.

On a serious note, I think the run defense has generally been solid, it looks as if our LB's are ready to play more physical football, from what I have observed. I think the bend but don't break defense has definitely been effective in regards to not letting the opponents score TD's. However, our third down defense has been weak and our pass rush for the most part, lacking. But, on the brighter side of things, to me, it's obvious that we havn't been blitzing too often and more than likely we are saving that for the regular season.

Why are you calling people names? You just hurt my feelings and now and I want to let you know that it is my right to whine, excuse me, it is my right to complain, I meant, it is my right to vent and criticize the Bills.

On a serious note, I think the run defense has generally been solid, it looks as if our LB's are ready to play more physical football, from what I have observed. I think the bend but don't break defense has definitely been effective in regards to not letting the opponents score TD's. However, our third down defense has been weak and our pass rush for the most part, lacking. But, on the brighter side of things, to me, it's obvious that we havn't been blitzing too often and more than likely we are saving that for the regular season.

:ph34r:

And I hate to put this kinda of pressure on a 21 year old, but Maybin could entirely change this defense. I think Kelsay's time is up and we could have a pretty solid d-line rotation.

The defense could be downright good if our offense can maintain any type of ball movement.

:ph34r:

And I hate to put this kinda of pressure on a 21 year old, but Maybin could entirely change this defense. I think Kelsay's time is up and we could have a pretty solid d-line rotation.

The defense could be downright good if our offense can maintain any type of ball movement.

Call me crazy, but I actually like Kelsay on first and second down. He was asked to do to much last year. He is not a pass rusher but the rest of his game is solid. The guy does not get pushed around, he just has NO speed rush.

Absolutely agree but the starting offense has been putrid so far. It would be one thing if they had been relatively decent last year but we know that is not the case. I really hope that the offense can be at least somewhere near the middle of the league in terms of production and our D can be a force. You can argue that the d could have been in the top 10 last year with a bit of help from the offense and with a better pass rush. Maybe we get there this year.

Call me crazy, but I actually like Kelsay on first and second down. He was asked to do to much last year. He is not a pass rusher but the rest of his game is solid. The guy does not get pushed around, he just has NO speed rush.

See, I was on that train up until this camp. He isn't nearly as bad as he is made out to be, but I don't know what he's bringing to the table that Denney, Ellis, or Bryan couldn't.

Plus, he is a big name in the lockerroom so that would serve as little wake up call.

See, I was on that train up until this camp. He isn't nearly as bad as he is made out to be, but I don't know what he's bringing to the table that Denney, Ellis, or Bryan couldn't.

Plus, he is a big name in the lockerroom so that would serve as little wake up call.

Cut him.

He's not an effective pass rusher, it would give Bills fans satisfaction :thumbsup: and it would serve as a message to the rest of the team, that even a "captain" can be cut, and that complacency will not be tolerated.

However, I don't see that happening :ph34r:

I think he is much stouter than those guys. I like Denney's game as well, he seems to bat a lot of balls. The other guys look more like pass rushers to me. I think if we let Kelsay go you're more likely to see a guy like Spencer Johnson or Kyle Williams at RDE, in running situations, than Bryan or Ellis.

Kelsay can be as stout, and not get pushed around, as he wants to be. The fact is, Tampa-2 DE's are required to be pass rushers in order for the defense to work. Kelsay is not that. Let him go be a solid player with no pass rush somewhere else where that style of play is warranted. It isn't here.

Cut him.

I still like Kelsay based on that blocked pass caught for a TD against Tony Romo a couple of years ago. I'd keep him on he team just for that!

I think our defense will be good. Not great but certainly good enough to win a lot of games IF we get help from the offense.

If our offense can't score more than 9 points in most games, we're toast.

So is making 3rd down stops something that the defense can just turn "on" during the regular season? A low YPC against doesnt mean much when your starters have given up 41 points in the last 2 games they've played in.

No but maybe Schobel can help, and maybe Maybin can as well, and maybe Ellis and Copeland can contribute and maybe blitzing can apply more pressure to get us off the field on third downs (which we havn't been doing too much of in the preseason).

A bunch of maybe's, but adding these dynamics to the mix could "just turn 'on' during the regular season"

I apologize for being positive. :ph34r:

aaron shobel used to be good. now he and last years starters put no pressure on the qb. i hope copeland and maybin take the starting positions soon.

thanks for the stats on a good defense.

by the way i am as positive too. i will not count the bills out until they are MATHEMATICALLY eliminated.

watch and see - Copeland Bryan will be cut once again with both Kelsay and Denney retained.

It sure seems like the wrong move but I bet it's what we'll see :ph34r:

At least Ellis will be there pushing these guys this time....

So is making 3rd down stops something that the defense can just turn "on" during the regular season? A low YPC against doesnt mean much when your starters have given up 41 points in the last 2 games they've played in.

are you counting the 7 points that trent edwards gave up in the total?

The defense is decent, i though tit was last year. There are 2 things holding it back.

1. The offense isnt putting up points/sustaining ball control. They keep getting thrown out on the field with little break. I would assume this would help with 3rd downs

2. Their bend but dont break is keeping the points off the board but in a close game coming into the end of the 3rd/4th quarter they get tired and thats when the breaking happens.

The defense is decent, i though tit was last year. There are 2 things holding it back.

1. The offense isnt putting up points/sustaining ball control. They keep getting thrown out on the field with little break. I would assume this would help with 3rd downs

2. Their bend but dont break is keeping the points off the board but in a close game coming into the end of the 3rd/4th quarter they get tired and thats when the breaking happens.

The biggest problem with our defense is our offense. They have to pitch a near shutout to have a chance for us to win. And the offense give us points on it's own making their job even harder. If we could get an offense that coud control the ball a little bit and score some points, our defense would be fine.

#14 in Total Defense in 2008 according to NFL.COM.

They ain't bad.

Or when they are told to give receivers a ten yard cushion on 3d and 7.