Other disturbing things about Saturday

1. Special teams were horrible. A penalty on almost every return. Having a FG blocked. I think they got too cute trying new guys.

2. Ellison isn't it. Mitchell isn't all that either.

3. I could cover Josh Reed. He wasn't even looking at the ball and was jumped on his route by a LB. I wonder why Steve Johnson doesn't even get much of a chance with the 1st string Offense.

4. We still can't run the ball very well.

5. Parrish is a novelty 4th WR and returner. Nothing more.

6. Oman lost any slim chance he had of making this team when it was exposed that he can't block.

7. Gotta wonder about any scheme that consistently has our 3rd CB covering the top receiver of the opposition as it seemed like Corner was on Hines Ward all night.

8. Or a scheme that has a RB block the opponents best pass rusing LB.

9. Wonder why the TE is invisible in the first team offence but a huge part of the 3rd string offense.

7. Gotta wonder about any scheme that consistently has our 3rd CB covering the top receiver of the opposition as it seemed like Corner was on Hines Ward all night.

Vanilla D. They don't game plan. If Ward lines up in the slot in the preseason, the nickel man covers him.

Same thing with offensive blocking schemes.

1. Special teams were horrible. A penalty on almost every return. Having a FG blocked. I think they got too cute trying new guys.

3. I could cover Josh Reed. He wasn't even looking at the ball and was jumped on his route by a LB. I wonder why Steve Johnson doesn't even get much of a chance with the 1st string Offense.

6. Oman lost any slim chance he had of making this team when it was exposed that he can't block.

These 6 points may be more telling as a whole. OK, I'm hoping against hope here, but maybe what has been status quo with our special teams is about to give way to new talent. Ellison, Reed and -to a lesser degree- Mitchell epitomize 'quality starters' on a non-threatening team. If April's gonna have to re-tool who he uses, better to get the penalties out of the way in pre-season.

The only disturbing thing about the game, IMO, is that Trent did not even attempt a pass more than 10 yards down the field. Not even an attempt. It's one thing to not have any downfiled completions. But, to not even try? I mean there's really no excuse. It makes me wonder can we even call him the QB if he's not willing to throw the ball?

The only disturbing thing about the game, IMO, is that Trent did not even attempt a pass more than 10 yards down the field. Not even an attempt. It's one thing to not have any downfiled completions. But, to not even try? I mean there's really no excuse. It makes me wonder can we even call him the QB if he's not willing to throw the ball?

Really? There was only one thing that disturbed you?

Yeah, some of those things disturb me. But I have to keep telling myself that the Bills are ALWAYS horrible in the pre-season.

A couple of those things will get fixed but its the Offense that worries me. It reminds me of the 2007 season where we didn't score much in the pre-season and it carried over to the regular season. I just looked back at that season and we scored more than 20 points only four times all season and were 2-2 in those four games. I feel it coming on again............

Really? There was only one thing that disturbed you?

Yeah, pretty much. It's preseason.

The defense held its own for the most part. Of course they wore down and gave up the points eventually. Yes, it was concerning to see them routinely give up the 3rd and long conversion. But, it's preseason and they did almost no blitzing or stunting.

Yes, there were a lot of penalties on ST. But, it's preseason and those are mental mistakes that can be worked on and improved, especially as the young players get more practice/playing time.

Trent, however, didn't even attempt a pass down the field to a WR. That's the one thing he has consistently had problems doing. I could have cared less about the score. But I thought it was imperative to get the team some confidence by moving the ball on offense, at least once, and get a touchdown. To do that, Trent needs to pretend to be a QB and actually throw the ball. He didn't. The offense looked miserable. He even got a crack in the 3rd quarter with 2nd stringers beginning to sub in, still nothing. That, to me, is disturbing.

Trent, however, didn't even attempt a pass down the field to a WR.

Same as last year really. When people get mesmerized over his high comp% as a indication of a really good QB, consider that most of his passes are to Lynch and Jackson in the flat for 2 yards

If when TO is in there and this is still going on in early October, TO will have a public melt-down. And he should IMO

I was trying to point out that there are many, many things to be concerned about on this team, not just Trent.

I think TO will help tremendously. You can see that when you can cover Reed and Parrish easily with one guy it's also easy to double Evans. With TO, Evans has a chance.

6. Oman stinks. He has absolutely no wiggle, and he doesn't hit the hole with any authority whatsoever. I would keep McIntyre as our third RB until Marshawn is ready to play.

4. Agree on Parrish. He is way too easy to cover and bring down. Steve Johnson needs to be playing with Lee and TO. He is a player. I would also put Justin Jenkins ahead of Roscoe as a receiver.

9. Wonder why the TE is invisible in the first team offence but a huge part of the 3rd string offense.

Ya. However, I'm going to give this one part of the team the benefit of the doubt that the issues from this game will get fixed. The rest of the team has me worried.

I think Ellison has played above expectations, but still doesn't quite cut it. Mitchell has been a big disappointment. There are worse players on D, but Mitchell is just out of position and takes bad angles too often. It's almost like he finds a guy to block him and then is content to stay tied up for the remainder of the play. That's the same issue that some of our D-linemen have (I'm looking at you Kelsay).

I like Reed and think he's a good possession receiver although he's nothing compared to the best in the game in Hines Ward IMO. Good news is that we have other options at WR2 and it's just a matter of keeping them healthy. Reed can still be a decent role player in pass situations, but I don't really want that to be long term. He's an above average run blocker though.

Yep.

Yep, although I see a guy like Eddie Royal with Denver last night and I wonder why Roscoe can't be more like him.

One missed block isn't gonna do him in. I only saw one anyway and like you pointed out below, it was against a great pass rusher. We probably won't see any cuts at HB until between week 3-4 when Marshawn comes back....I dunno...maybe Hall gets cut before then.

I didn't notice that so much, but then again Ward is an awesome receiver no matter who is covering him. I thought the DBs had a pretty decent night overall.

True, but if it's an interior LB like Farrior, you have limited options.

Wondering this myself.

This Bills team is a mess, both sides of the ball.

I would concur with this. Most of the other things didn't really bother me. I disagree that Mitchell sucks. I thought he and really the whole starting defense played well. 10 points in the 1st half vs. defending champs. A few 3 and outs. Solid. Special team penalties don't worry me too much. We got all kinds of scrubs in there trying to make the team. Once the team is set, Bobby will get 'em tightened up.

The 1st team offense on the other hand was putrid. Trent looks to me like he's doing worse and worse as the pre season goes on. If my math is right he's now 26 for 36 with 0 TDs and 3 INTs. Great completion percentage though for whatever that's worth. I don't know why people say he doesn't throw to WRs. He does, but they're always about 4 yards past the LOS with a DB on their back. They catch it and immediately get squashed. Don't understand this. Fitz comes in and finds guys downfield. Do they call different plays for Fitz? He also gets the plays off faster. Trent and coaching staff need to figure this out in the next 10 days. With the offense like this even if we had the '85 Bears defense, we'd still not have a winning season.

Fitz comes in and finds guys downfield. Do they call different plays for Fitz? He also gets the plays off faster. Trent and coaching staff need to figure this out in the next 10 days. With the offense like this even if we had the '85 Bears defense, we'd still not have a winning season.

Another difference is that Fitz seems comfortable changing the play at the LOS. Haven't really seen TE do this yet.

Because the 1st string opposing defense takes away the tight ends, it one of the Bills biggest failures to address in the off season. TE and FB positions,both stink

A great blocking TE and FB would help in the running game and a decent receiving TE would help in the passing game.

The Bills did try and bring in Tony Gonzalaz last season in a trade, so they know they are lacking in the TE position and tried to upgrade it at one point. Gonzalaz would have fixed both issues in blocking and receiving for the TE position.

I would concur with this. Most of the other things didn't really bother me. I disagree that Mitchell sucks. I thought he and really the whole starting defense played well. 10 points in the 1st half vs. defending champs. A few 3 and outs. Solid. Special team penalties don't worry me too much. We got all kinds of scrubs in there trying to make the team. Once the team is set, Bobby will get 'em tightened up.

The 1st team offense on the other hand was putrid. Trent looks to me like he's doing worse and worse as the pre season goes on. If my math is right he's now 26 for 36 with 0 TDs and 3 INTs. Great completion percentage though for whatever that's worth. I don't know why people say he doesn't throw to WRs. He does, but they're always about 4 yards past the LOS with a DB on their back. They catch it and immediately get squashed. Don't understand this. Fitz comes in and finds guys downfield. Do they call different plays for Fitz? He also gets the plays off faster. Trent and coaching staff need to figure this out in the next 10 days. With the offense like this even if we had the '85 Bears defense, we'd still not have a winning season.

It's interesting you say this. I recall when Losman was here, thinking the same thing. JP seemed to always look to throw deep and was rightly criticized for not making more (and better) short passes. Then Trent comes in and the short, intermediate passing game picks up. And I remember thinking... are they calling different plays for Trent?

All these years later, and after seeing Fitz and Hamdan in comparison, I'm more and more of the opinion that the same plays are being called. Its just that the QBs are executing them differently. Currently, our starter prefers to throw short, dump off style passes. Hence, that's the offense we have. Either Trent grows a set of balls or we're in for a really long season, IMO.

Mitchell was horribly out of place on the rushing TD that the Steelers scored.

Fitz plays against 2nd teamers. Don't get too excited.