Turk on hot seat

Alphadawg7

It's not the plays. It's the QB. They could have Hines Ward, Randy Moss and Antonio Gates out there, and the offense would still suck because Trent doesn't get the ball to the receivers downfield. I'm sure Turk is calling plays that are designed to get downfield, but TE isn't getting it done.

FWIW,

The original link posted is a second generation link. This is the original link.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Sunday...-Post-9802.html

It's from the National Football Post and was written by Mike Lombardi, who is considered a fairly credible NFL observer. The question becomes what does he mean by "from what I hear."

Where did he "hear" about Turk being on the hot seat? From someone within the team? Or was he just reporting on the fans discontent with Turk?

I don't think Lombardi is reporting on something he heard from inside sources. But I think it goes without saying also that this whole coaching staff is on the hot seat.

It's not the plays. It's the QB. They could have Hines Ward, Randy Moss and Antonio Gates out there, and the offense would still suck because Trent doesn't get the ball to the receivers downfield. I'm sure Turk is calling plays that are designed to get downfield, but TE isn't getting it done.

I think it might be a little of both. I mean if I see another pass to a guy standing still who catches it and is immediately tackled I'm gonna scream. But then again I've seen in at least 2 games Trent dinking and dunking on the short stuff, then Fitz comes in and finds guys 10 + yards down field on the run. Happened again last night. First pass he hits a guy for 18 yards or so on the run. Then hits Roscoe for 9 on the sideline.

Are these different plays? Or is Fitz finding what should be the first or second choice and Trent only the dump off guys? I'm thinking the former. And Trent is staring to look more and more as a turnover machine. Surely Turk is not telling him to throw all these picks.

The one in last night's game looked eerily similar to a couple of the ones in the Clowns game.

I think it might be a little of both. I mean if I see another pass to a guy standing still who catches it and is immediately tackled I'm gonna scream. But then again I've seen in at least 2 games Trent dinking and dunking on the short stuff, then Fitz comes in and finds guys 10 + yards down field on the run. Happened again last night. First pass he hits a guy for 18 yards or so on the run. Then hits Roscoe for 9 on the sideline.

Are these different plays? Or is Fitz finding what should be the first or second choice and Trent only the dump off guys? I'm thinking the former. And Trent is staring to look more and more as a turnover machine. Surely Turk is not telling him to throw all these picks.

The one in last night's game looked eerily similar to a couple of the ones in the Clowns game.

I really don't think Turk is holding him back. Sure Turk might be lame, but how many pass plays has TE succesfully executed? I think playcalling is overrated outside of specific situations (short yardage, red zone, running the clock out, etc), but we are talking about 1st down at your 30 in the 1st quarter. You run some plays and you can either execute and move the chains, or not. These guys just FAIL.

Guest dog14787
I really don't think Turk is holding him back. Sure Turk might be lame, but how many pass plays has TE succesfully executed? I think playcalling is overrated outside of specific situations (short yardage, red zone, running the clock out, etc), but we are talking about 1st down at your 30 in the 1st quarter. You run some plays and you can either execute and move the chains, or not. These guys just FAIL.

Execution is important, but your chance for success in executing properly increases with good play calling. Film study allows OC's the ability to determine what works best to combat what opposing defenses do best and what they do worse. It allows them to determine what personnel packages to use and what strategy they should use. Opposing coaches and players have tendencies, knowing your opponent well allows you to develop the best game plan based on who they are, what they do, where they struggle. A good OC will look back at what worked well and what doesn't work well, with individual players and from a unit perspective. He will develop a game plan that he believes gives his players the best chance to succeed based on what his players do best and what has the best chance of working. Sometimes what works is not something out of the ordinary and it takes some creativity, especially against teams like the Patriots or Titans whom are so well coached they seem to do everything well.

To me football is the ultimate game of chess. The best strategist can do more with less and in this game the pieces are human and no two are alike. Knowing your players well, your opponents players well gives you the ability to make the right move and sometimes the simplest things can help win a ball game,

so while good execution is very important, winning a football game in the NFL is not that simple...

From the comments below the article: The addition of TO is a win-win for Buffalo. If he plays well and helps Buffalo win, then, obviously, great. If he comes in and destroys the team, then he destroys a team that hasn't made the playoffs this decade. He ensures the demise of Dick Jauron and, probably, Russ Brandon and himself. The Bills are better off with either outcome.

Interesting. Getchapopcorn ready!

From the comments below the article: The addition of TO is a win-win for Buffalo. If he plays well and helps Buffalo win, then, obviously, great. If he comes in and destroys the team, then he destroys a team that hasn't made the playoffs this decade. He ensures the demise of Dick Jauron and, probably, Russ Brandon and himself. The Bills are better off with either outcome.

Interesting. Getchapopcorn ready!

Man, I'd be impressed if Russ Brandon hired TO mainly to rid himself of the dead weight that's currently running the show on the sidelines. Brandon's really the only non-player on the staff I have any confidence in. After this season, I'd like to see him promoted to team President, where he can keep his hands on the marketing side of things, and be the one responsible for hiring a GM.

FWIW,

The original link posted is a second generation link. This is the original link.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Sunday...-Post-9802.html

It's from the National Football Post and was written by Mike Lombardi, who is considered a fairly credible NFL observer. The question becomes what does he mean by "from what I hear."

Where did he "hear" about Turk being on the hot seat? From someone within the team? Or was he just reporting on the fans discontent with Turk?

I don't think Lombardi is reporting on something he heard from inside sources. But I think it goes without saying also that this whole coaching staff is on the hot seat.

:devil:link

Execution is important, but your chance for success in executing properly increases with good play calling. Film study allows OC's the ability to determine what works best to combat what opposing defenses do best and what they do worse. It allows them to determine what personnel packages to use and what strategy they should use. Opposing coaches and players have tendencies, knowing your opponent well allows you to develop the best game plan based on who they are, what they do, where they struggle. A good OC will look back at what worked well and what doesn't work well, with individual players and from a unit perspective. He will develop a game plan that he believes gives his players the best chance to succeed based on what his players do best and what has the best chance of working. Sometimes what works is not something out of the ordinary and it takes some creativity, especially against teams like the Patriots or Titans whom are so well coached they seem to do everything well.

To me football is the ultimate game of chess. The best strategist can do more with less and in this game the pieces are human and no two are alike. Knowing your players well, your opponents players well gives you the ability to make the right move and sometimes the simplest things can help win a ball game,

so while good execution is very important, winning a football game in the NFL is not that simple...

I never said the NFL game is simple. I also didn't mention that I felt they should win. I do feel that Trent should be able to pull at least a few downfield completions out of his @&&.

You are obviously a Trent apologist. I think he should be able pass the ball more effectively than he has been, and I don't believe that the OC is holding him back. The play calls aren't that out of the ordinary, or any moreso than what Roesthlisberger (or the backups) or most of the league is using in preseason, yet other poorly coached teams seem to manage a touchdown at some point.

Trent is just not getting the ball to the guys downfield.

Get back to me after the first 4 weeks of the season, and we'll see how well your boy Trent is doing....

I can't speak for GB, but I didn't see squat open downfield in the P'burgh game. Maybe Lee got free once on a deep out but Trent threw it 6' over his head.

Hard to get it downfield when Evans is being bracketed and nobody else can shake loose.

The receivers are part of the problem considering even Turk Schonert stated that opposing teams double Lee Evans and it shuts down the deep passing game.

But they are not the biggest problem, the biggest area of concern is the pass protection schemes and run blocking schemes, meaning the O line is not getting it done. Turk calling for 5-7 step drops calls for 4.0 seconds of pass blocking, tough to make anything happen when you only have 3 seconds.

Granted, Edwards didn't look very good, but neither did the the running game and special teams. The entire offense looked horrid to me, it was only after the Steelers put in their 3rd stringers did the Bills start to move the ball. Even then they still didn't even get a FG.