Some things that need to be said

jahnyc

1. Right now, our o-line may be the worst in the NFL. Losing Peters (even the fat, out of shape and unmotivated Peters) has hurt the team significantly.

2. Turk is in over his head. He was never an OC before becoming the OC in Buffalo, and it shows. The offense is inept, and the inability to game plan against 3-4 defenses is telling.

3. The defense is average, and not good enough to win games on their own.

4. The so-called experts are right more than our front office. Whitner was a reach, it will be hard to replace Peters, and McCargo was not a first round talent.

5. Edwards will not thrive in Buffalo. Maybe it is the o-line or Turk's offense, but his unwillingness to throw down field exacerbates the problems.

6. The no-huddle will not work for the Bills because of the o-line and the play of Edwards. Also good strategy to announce the no huddle offense in preseason so that all of the teams that you play will prepare for it.

7. The Bills needed more than TO and Hangartner as free agent acquisitions. Having said that, I have no confidence in the front office's ability to identify talent, and I am concerned that Hangartner will not be an improvement over Fowler/Preston.

1. Right now, our o-line may be the worst in the NFL. Losing Peters (even the fat, out of shape and unmotivated Peters) has hurt the team significantly.

2. Turk is in over his head. He was never an OC before becoming the OC in Buffalo, and it shows. The offense is inept, and the inability to game plan against 3-4 defenses is telling.

4. The so-called experts are right more than our front office. Whitner was a reach, it will be hard to replace Peters, and McCargo was not a first round talent.

5. Edwards will not thrive in Buffalo. Maybe it is the o-line or Turk's offense, but his unwillingness to throw down field exacerbates the problems.

6. The no-huddle will not work for the Bills because of the o-line and the play of Edwards. Also good strategy to announce the no huddle offense in preseason so that all of the teams that you play will prepare for it.

7. The Bills needed more than TO and Hangartner as free agent acquisitions. Having said that, I have no confidence in the front office's ability to identify talent, and I am concerned that Hangartner will not be an improvement over Fowler/Preston.

A Dark Cloud looms over OBD

1. Our OL has two rookie starters playing different positions than they did in college, 2 returning starters playing different positions, and a FA signing @ C. It will take them more than 4 or 5 preseason games to understand their reposibilities and get comfortable playing with the rest of the guys. Walker isn't built to be a LT and Bell will likely be our best option at the position. Hopefully they'll start to pull it all together by about week 4 or so.

2. Turk is in his 2nd year as an OC and they are implimenting a new scheme. Turk can't make the reads for Trent and he also isn't out there slingin the ball around. The 3-4 gameplan could be effective, but it has to be run that way by Trent. He is the field general, not Schonert. Guys are usually open, but Trent misses them.

3. The defense is better than average and expect them to be anywhere from #10-#13 in the league this year. We have a solid secondary, Puz is going to have a breakout year, and Schobel along with Maybin WILL help us to generate more pressure in passing situations which will lead to us getting more turnovers.

4. We already have had the Whitner discussion a bazillion times. We've all had the McCargo discussion a bazillion times.

5. Edwards could thrive in Buffalo. But if he can't with our group of WR's and RB's, I don't think he can anywhere. Edwards misses reads and plays scared ever since he got mauled by Adrian Wilson. If he can't get his head together back there he will be kicking cans or UFL bound.

6. I agree that the no huddle hinges on Edwards and the OL, but you have to show it because the guys need live reps in actual game situations. This isn't like a trick play that you use once a year, this is an actual strategy that we are going to use alot.

7. I agree that we needed more than TO and Hangartner, but I think Modrak has done a pretty good job I believe and bringing in Nix will pay off as time goes along. I also don't know what games you're watching, but almost ANYONE would be an improvement over Preston and Fowler playing C. We also were handcuffed this year in a way because of the dead money that was created by letting go of Dockery. I also believe that this could possibly be Schobel and Kelsay's final season with the team, to go along with the coaching staff, and Edwards. We could be seeing a completely different team on the field next year. This season is make or break for alot of the players and coaches, but we have a good group of young players and a few quality veterans that will be here for a few years to come. The future isn't as dark as some of you would like to portray it to be.

1. Our OL has two rookie starters playing different positions than they did in college, 2 returning starters playing different positions, and a FA signing @ C. It will take them more than 4 or 5 preseason games to understand their reposibilities and get comfortable playing with the rest of the guys. Walker isn't built to be a LT and Bell will likely be our best option at the position. Hopefully they'll start to pull it all together by about week 4 or so.

2. Turk is in his 2nd year as an OC and they are implimenting a new scheme. Turk can't make the reads for Trent and he also isn't out there slingin the ball around. The 3-4 gameplan could be effective, but it has to be run that way by Trent. He is the field general, not Schonert. Guys are usually open, but Trent misses them.

3. The defense is better than average and expect them to be anywhere from #10-#13 in the league this year. We have a solid secondary, Puz is going to have a breakout year, and Schobel along with Maybin WILL help us to generate more pressure in passing situations which will lead to us getting more turnovers.

4. We already have had the Whitner discussion a bazillion times. We've all had the McCargo discussion a bazillion times.

5. Edwards could thrive in Buffalo. But if he can't with our group of WR's and RB's, I don't think he can anywhere. Edwards misses reads and plays scared ever since he got mauled by Adrian Wilson. If he can't get his head together back there he will be kicking cans or UFL bound.

6. I agree that the no huddle hinges on Edwards and the OL, but you have to show it because the guys need live reps in actual game situations. This isn't like a trick play that you use once a year, this is an actual strategy that we are going to use alot.

7. I agree that we needed more than TO and Hangartner, but I think Modrak has done a pretty good job I believe and bringing in Nix will pay off as time goes along. I also don't know what games you're watching, but almost ANYONE would be an improvement over Preston and Fowler playing C. We also were handcuffed this year in a way because of the dead money that was created by letting go of Dockery. I also believe that this could possibly be Schobel and Kelsay's final season with the team, to go along with the coaching staff, and Edwards. We could be seeing a completely different team on the field next year. This season is make or break for alot of the players and coaches, but we have a good group of young players and a few quality veterans that will be here for a few years to come. The future isn't as dark as some of you would like to portray it to be.

Is that grape or strawberry kool-aid you're drinking? Let's face the facts...The FO is lousy at talent evaluation and the coaching staff is sub par. Until these areas are rectified, the team will be mediocre at best.

Guest dog14787

Some of the more football savy folks on this board believe that for the offense to run the no huddle properly, you have to learn to execute properly first, crawl before you walk, walk before you run and I disagreed,

I was wrong...

About #6 above. I heard the announcers (Channel 7) talking about the no huddle "difficulty" rlative how the officials put the ball in play. Apparently the official are placing the ball in play as if the team is huddling...thus defusing the (alleged) advantage of the no huddle...that is hurrying the defense and allowing no personnel changes. That the "quick " placement of the ball only when a "two minute drill" at the end of the game or half is in play. Any thought about the zebra's not cooperating...that is hustling to let the no huddle play to its best advantage? I could see that...old men out of shape not able to handle that for 60 minutes.

The O-line didn't play that bad; Rhodes and Xmon had trouble picking up the blitz and got bowled and gave up 2 sacks. The scheme isn't as bad as it is the QB as ever since the Cards game he has lost his confidence in throwing the ball down the field to WR. The D is ggod enough to win if the offense steps it up. I think TO will make a difference as he will force Trent to try to squeeze the ball to him which could be a good thing.

Is that grape or strawberry kool-aid you're drinking? Let's face the facts...The FO is lousy at talent evaluation and the coaching staff is sub par. Until these areas are rectified, the team will be mediocre at best.

Which is it- you can't evaluate in a vacuum. If we don't have talent, how can the coaches be effective. If the coaches stink, how can you properly evaluate the talent?

I don't think i've ever seen a reply with more excuses in my life. are you russ brandon

Look, this is a strange team with great fans. Jauron, in year 4 no less, started building the team like he should have in 06, when his firsr 4 selections were Whitner, McCargo, Youboty and Simpson. Just for effect, you might want to read that list again.

He started that draft with 4 PICKS in the first 3 rounds and came away with Whitner, McCargo and Youboty. Then, he (and the sainted Levy) simply couldn't resist another safety (Simpson).

My point is that this idiocy didn't just start, nor is it finished. Maybe Ralph will fire Jauron and bring back Marv. You know, it is freaking possible! :lol:

It would take a normal football man another year or 2 to solidify this team. We need 4 Tackles for starters, and at least another good linebacker to consistently compete. It could be done by someone with a clue, not Jauron.

Look, this is a strange team with great fans. Jauron, in year 4 no less, started building the team like he should have in 06, when his firsr 4 selections were Whitner, McCargo, Youboty and Simpson. Just for effect, you might want to read that list again.

He started that draft with 4 PICKS in the first 3 rounds and came away with Whitner, McCargo and Youboty. Then, he (and the sainted Levy) simply couldn't resist another safety (Simpson).

My point is that this idiocy didn't just start, nor is it finished. Maybe Ralph will fire Jauron and bring back Marv. You know, it is freaking possible! :lol:

It would take a normal football man another year or 2 to solidify this team. We need 4 Tackles for starters, and at least another good linebacker to consistently compete. It could be done by someone with a clue, not Jauron.

We've yet to begin the regular season, but it is more than justified to make the point that rebuilding a team with skill players is/are the moves made by incompetent leadership.

The Bills are hyped because they feature Lynch, Evans, Owens, McKelvin, Posluszny, and perhaps McKelvin. Skill players sell tickets, but they struggle when the linemen can't do their job. It is the mark of TD, Levy, and Brandon that they did not pay enough attention to both the OL and DL. When they did draft OL or DL, they were generally flops beside Schobel.

Now, the finally admit fault and take 3 lineman in 09. What took them so long? Was it the big contracts doled out to Dockery and Walker?

I don't know if this should be a ray of hope or not but we have not seen our best 22 together yet- until I see an offense of

T.O. Nelson Bell, Butler, Hangarter, Wood, Walker, Stupar Evans

Edwards

Lynch

and a defense

Ellis Stroud Williams Bryan subbed by Mace, McCargo, Jones, Maybin, Johnson

Harris Poz Michell

Mckelvin Whitner, Bryd McGee

If you put this team out there and they sucked then I would agree the season is bleak.

Guest dog14787
I don't know if this should be a ray of hope or not but we have not seen our best 22 together yet- until I see an offense of

T.O. Nelson Bell, Butler, Hangarter, Wood, Walker, Stupar Evans

Edwards

Lynch

and a defense

Ellis Stroud Williams Bryan subbed by Mace, McCargo, Jones, Maybin, Johnson

Harris Poz Michell

Mckelvin Whitner, Bryd McGee

If you put this team out there and they sucked then I would agree the season is bleak.

I agree

The most important thing I forgot to include in the original post is that the front office needs the leadership of a skilled football guy (GM or President) for free agent acquisitions and the draft. The approach over the last ten years or so has been poorly defined and feels very ad hoc from year to year. I think many of us would agree that a team with strong lines, the ability to run the ball (which is critical in poor weather) and a strong-armed quarterback would be a good start.