Yes The Bills Look Bad, But Remember The Lions

VJ91

I'm not about to defend how bad the Bills starters' have looked this preseason. But the reason I hate the damn preseason games and would like the NFL to do away with them completely, is that they really don't mean anything.

Of course it defies logic for any rational Bills fan that understands the basics of football, that these players and these coaches can really take the field for the regular season and win as many as 9 games and sneak into the playoffs this season. It is almost insulting our intelligence to have any member of the Buffalo Bills try to convince us that this is possible after watching those first 4 summer games so far!

But if there was ever any better proof that preseason football games mean nothing, the Lions from last year erased all doubt. Before the 2008 season last year, the Detroit Lions were the only team to go 4-0-0 in the preseason. They then "rode that momentum" into the regular season and proceded to lose all 16 games.

So again I say, as we despair over how amazingly bad our beloved Bills have looked this preseason, "REMEMBER THE LIONS.!" :lol:;)

Agreed....although it is discouraging watching them play. However, why should we be surprised that a WR corps the same as last year in the past two games looks the same? Trent looks horrible but he looked both horrible and excellent last year as well.

When the Bills are using 20% of their playbook in preseason it makes you wonder why even play preseason. I truly believe having Owens makes this team completely different and forces the defense to play you differently.

Preseason is useless for the most part...reduce it to two games and let's get on with it. It really has no correlation with the regular season whatsoever.

When the Bills are using 20% of their playbook in preseason it makes you wonder why even play preseason.

Well, I would hope they could at least execute that 20%. They don't appear able, and regardless of the score that's really concerning to me. For a team as unestablished as this one, that's why they play the preseason, IMO. Also, to evaluate your rookie talent.

Well, I would hope they could at least execute that 20%. They don't appear able, and regardless of the score that's really concerning to me. For a team as unestablished as this one, that's why they play the preseason, IMO. Also, to evaluate your rookie talent.

They play preseason also for money. The players/coaches already get paid insane amounts of money for a 20 game season (including preseason). To reduce the number of games probably is not possible. You might see (and I think should see) a 18 game regular season and a 2 game preseason. But they probably could not go down to a total of 18 or fewer games even if they wanted too and continue to pay the stupid money they do.

They play preseason also for money. The players/coaches already get paid insane amounts of money for a 20 game season (including preseason). To reduce the number of games probably is not possible. You might see (and I think should see) a 18 game regular season and a 2 game preseason. But they probably could not go down to a total of 18 or fewer games even if they wanted too and continue to pay the stupid money they do.

Nope. Players' salaries are divided into 17 regular-season game checks (including the bye week); they get a per-diem during preseason, but it's far below what they'll make when the games count:

ARTICLE XXXVII

PRE-SEASON TRAINING CAMPS

Section 3. Rookie Per Diem: A rookie player will receive “per diem” payments at the rate of $775 per week in the 2006 League Year, $800 per week in the 2007-08 League Years, $825 per week in the 2009-10 League Years and the 2011 League Year if it is an Uncapped Year, and $850 per week in the 2011 League Year if is a Capped Year and the 2012 League Year, commencing with the first day of preseason training camp and ending one week prior to the Club’s first regular season game.

Section 4. Veteran Per Diem: A veteran player will receive “per diem” payments at the rate of $1,100 per week in the 2006-07 League Years, $1,225 per week in the 2008-10 League Years and the 2011 League Year if it is an Uncapped Year, and $1,375 per week in the 2011 League Year if it is a Capped Year and the 2012 League Year, commencing with the first day of pre-season training camp and ending one week prior to the Club’s first regular season game, and an additional $200 per week during the pre-season, commencing with the Club’s first pre-season game (exclusive of the Canton Hall of Fame Game and any International Game) and ending one week prior to the Club’s first regular season game.

Ticket and concession-stand prices are the same, though. There's your real answer.

So again I say, as we despair over how amazingly bad our beloved Bills have looked this preseason, "REMEMBER THE LIONS.!" :lol:B-)

I sure hope you are right. WE did beat Pitt last year in preseason, is this a giant ruse? No passes longer than five to ten yards. Have they told Trent to not look downfield at all? Are we running the most vanilla plan ever? Who is Lee Evans? Will the Monday nighter be any different than what we have seen thus far?

How many 1st string offenses did post a winning record during relgualr season after scoring no touchdowns, 1 fg and 3 interceptions and about 3 fumbles?

The difference with a winning record during preseason is that it can be the 2nd and 3rd stringers taking care of the win versus their 2nd and 3rd strings, it's a measure of depth. However if your first team doesn't do a thing it's a bad omen; take a look at the 2007 Dolphins preseason...

I'm not about to defend how bad the Bills starters' have looked this preseason. But the reason I hate the damn preseason games and would like the NFL to do away with them completely, is that they really don't mean anything.

Of course it defies logic for any rational Bills fan that understands the basics of football, that these players and these coaches can really take the field for the regular season and win as many as 9 games and sneak into the playoffs this season. It is almost insulting our intelligence to have any member of the Buffalo Bills try to convince us that this is possible after watching those first 4 summer games so far!

But if there was ever any better proof that preseason football games mean nothing, the Lions from last year erased all doubt. Before the 2008 season last year, the Detroit Lions were the only team to go 4-0-0 in the preseason. They then "rode that momentum" into the regular season and proceded to lose all 16 games.

So again I say, as we despair over how amazingly bad our beloved Bills have looked this preseason, "REMEMBER THE LIONS.!" :lol:B-)

im amazed how many people keep repeating this over and over...it doesnt have anything to do with the games meaning anything or if they win or not but when your starters look as bad as the Bills have there is major cause for concern...these games are considered practice and in practice you work on getting ready for the regular season but when the starting offense cant even get across midfield much less score a freakin touchdown then its obvious this team is in trouble and no where near ready for the season which is even more amazing considering they opened camp before any other team

this team is going to get destroyed opening night

Yeah -- nice work if you can get it, no?

Which is one of the reasons why I moved to the NYC to be an actor! I hope to be the most prominent celebrity Bills fan, just give me a little bit of time to make it to the top... :lol:

Agreed....although it is discouraging watching them play. However, why should we be surprised that a WR corps the same as last year in the past two games looks the same? Trent looks horrible but he looked both horrible and excellent last year as well.

When the Bills are using 20% of their playbook in preseason it makes you wonder why even play preseason. I truly believe having Owens makes this team completely different and forces the defense to play you differently.

Preseason is useless for the most part...reduce it to two games and let's get on with it. It really has no correlation with the regular season whatsoever.

The only problem i have with that statement is that the Bills are running only 20% of the playbook but they cant execute even that. That worries me

The only problem i have with that statement is that the Bills are running only 20% of the playbook but they cant execute even that. That worries me

Well obviously, they're much better with the remaining 80% and should be able to run that with no problems. They're just trying to polish up that last 20%. :lol:

They look unprepared to play - and - that's different than just not game planning.

Which is one of the reasons why I moved to the NYC to be an actor! I hope to be the most prominent celebrity Bills fan, just give me a little bit of time to make it to the top... :devil:

Hey maybe that's the answer! We fire everyone and hire actors to play football players and coaches! :sick:

So again I say, as we despair over how amazingly bad our beloved Bills have looked this preseason, "REMEMBER THE LIONS.!" :devil::lol:

the bills of the 90's looked bad in preseason games to. and they only went to 4 straight super bowls so presason games are not a good way of telling how the team will do. the :sick: coaching staff is looking for other things than winning a game that don't count for anythig

So again I say, as we despair over how amazingly bad our beloved Bills have looked this preseason, "REMEMBER THE LIONS.!" :devil::sick:

Man the logic people use about preseason is baffling...you compare the 4-0 Lions in preseason last year, but what you dont know or talk about is how were the STARTERS playing in those 4 wins. Were they really producing? Or was it the Lions got those wins by scoring points in garbage time with second and third stringers?

Yes, wins and losses are the most meaningless thing in preseason, but the production of your starters is absouletly meaningful and more oftent than not an indication of struggles going into the season.