Monday ought to be interesting

Whites Bay

Let me start by saying I'm not initiating another DJ hate-fest.

What piqued my interest was the fact that DJ came right out and said "Yeah, we're worried". Okay, kudos for the honesty. That's not coming from the Chicken Littles on this board, but from the Head Coach. Everyone ought to sit up and listen when THAT happens.

The question is HOW worried? Bills Nation is 15 days away from playing The AntiChrists*, and the offense can't get into the end zone. Here's my request to those who review the replay ad nauseum. How good/bad has Butler REALLY played? My thinking is that Monday MAY mark the beginning of the Demetrius Bell experiment. If it's going to happen, it's going to happen tomorrow morning. I mean, if you're going to blow it up, you'd better blow it up Monday morning and give yourself over two weeks to try to pull it together. (One can say that it should have happened last week, but perhaps the coaching staff wanted to see if the Packers debacle was a unique event. It wasn't.). If the Bills start Bell at LT, move Walker to RT, and Butler back to RG, does the team improve? I'm beginning to think it's going to be a wash with Bell or Walker at LT, because you're going to have to suture (or weld) a tight end on the left side all season in any event. What do you think is the upgrade by reconstituting last year's right side?

And if you do that, who goes to Left Guard? Wood? Two rookies on the left side might be worrisome, but if Wood's the stud that everyone makes him out to be, and you have the tight end on the left side (friggin' permanently), that might be a decent wall on the left.

Apologies for rambling. I'd really like to hear from those who watch the tape over-and-over-and-over, because I don't have the capability. I think we do have some decent pieces up front, but I'm getting a sneaking suspicion that they're not in the right place. Where is the most glaring weakness on the offensive line?

In all honesty, I don't know if that will make much of a difference. It really seemed to me last night that Trent had time to throw. I don't think Langston Walker is gonna get confused with the Ogden's or Pace's of the world, but he didn't look horrible.

I feel like something is really wrong with Trent. His confidence has got to be at an absolute zero right now. Did he even attempt a pass over 10 yards yesterday? I am very, very worried about him, and I am one of the most optimistic people you will meet, but I just don't know if two weeks is enough time for him to right his wrongs.

I hope I'm wrong.

Let me start by saying I'm not initiating another DJ hate-fest.

What piqued my interest was the fact that DJ came right out and said "Yeah, we're worried". Okay, kudos for the honesty. That's not coming from the Chicken Littles on this board, but from the Head Coach. Everyone ought to sit up and listen when THAT happens.

The question is HOW worried? Bills Nation is 15 days away from playing The AntiChrists*, and the offense can't get into the end zone. Here's my request to those who review the replay ad nauseum. How good/bad has Butler REALLY played? My thinking is that Monday MAY mark the beginning of the Demetrius Bell experiment. If it's going to happen, it's going to happen tomorrow morning. I mean, if you're going to blow it up, you'd better blow it up Monday morning and give yourself over two weeks to try to pull it together. (One can say that it should have happened last week, but perhaps the coaching staff wanted to see if the Packers debacle was a unique event. It wasn't.). If the Bills start Bell at LT, move Walker to RT, and Butler back to RG, does the team improve? I'm beginning to think it's going to be a wash with Bell or Walker at LT, because you're going to have to suture (or weld) a tight end on the left side all season in any event. What do you think is the upgrade by reconstituting last year's right side?

And if you do that, who goes to Left Guard? Wood? Two rookies on the left side might be worrisome, but if Wood's the stud that everyone makes him out to be, and you have the tight end on the left side (friggin' permanently), that might be a decent wall on the left.

Apologies for rambling. I'd really like to hear from those who watch the tape over-and-over-and-over, because I don't have the capability. I think we do have some decent pieces up front, but I'm getting a sneaking suspicion that they're not in the right place. Where is the most glaring weakness on the offensive line?

Guys, this team is no better than last years team. Oline worse, D line better, LBs the same. Dbs the same. WRs better, RBs worse, for at least the 1st 3 games, QB/Coaching the same. So we for sure lose to the Pats twice, Carolina, Indy and Tennesee because we are not even in their league. Split with Jets and Phins BEST case, now you're up to 7 losses vs 2 wins in 9 games. Even if we go 4 and 2 against the Saints, Falcons and the rest , its another 7-9 season. The Bills are a great second division team, but put them up against a top 15 team and it's just no good. The Bills are what they are. I intend to watch them live against bottom 15 teams and TIVO and maybe watch later (if a miracle occurs) games against top 15 teams. Until Ralph is gone, thatsthe only way to keep your sanity

Not only am I going to start Bell at LT I'm going to move Walker to LG and Jonathan Scott to RT

my 5 skill positions are T.O, Nelson, Stupar, Evans and Jackson and If Edwards stinks it up the first three games I'm playing Lynch and Jackson together with no QB - a no huddle, hurry up, wildcat, run and shoot - hell Edwards hasn't thrown the ball more than 20 yards all preseason I bet both Lynch and Jackson can throw it that far.

Bell has been hurt and has not practiced for about 2 weeks.

I thought he just tweaked his back this week?

First game of the year against the Titans I thought walker looked fat, out of shape and huffing anf puffing in his few plays. He has the body and skill for a ride-sider, certainly not a LT. I think they still suck on the OL and putting Walker back at RT and Bell at LT is in no way going to hurt them. Walker is NOT a LT nor will he get better. Bell has a chance to improve so why waste time with Walker at LT when you know that what you have is all you'll ever have?

Guys, this team is no better than last years team. Oline worse, D line better, LBs the same. Dbs the same. WRs better, RBs worse, for at least the 1st 3 games, QB/Coaching the same. So we for sure lose to the Pats twice, Carolina, Indy and Tennesee because we are not even in their league. Split with Jets and Phins BEST case, now you're up to 7 losses vs 2 wins in 9 games. Even if we go 4 and 2 against the Saints, Falcons and the rest , its another 7-9 season. The Bills are a great second division team, but put them up against a top 15 team and it's just no good. The Bills are what they are. I intend to watch them live against bottom 15 teams and TIVO and maybe watch later (if a miracle occurs) games against top 15 teams. Until Ralph is gone, thatsthe only way to keep your sanity

The Bills have been bad for a decade. So what is the surprise when they continue to flounder along. What is remarkable, is that our clueless owner has kept the same front office in place, Donahoe hires, during this malignant decade. Until a new and more competent front office is installed there will be no significant change in the prospects for this battered franchise.

A lot of negative attention has been directed toward Dick Jauron. People get irritated with his cerebral and cool personality. When he was signed by Levy, he got what he got. Jauron had a mediocre record and had a particular style of coaching suitable to his personality. You can't change who you are. In fact, it is more destructive to try to be something you are not: taskmaster.

The Bills are not preordained to be losers. They lose because of the accumulation of bad front office decisions in drafting, free agent pickups, selection of coaches etc. The owner has in general maintained the front office and staff. He is comfortable with the present setup.

As the previous poster has wisely observed, the prospects for success are minimal while the aged owner remains the owner. Does anyone really expect a stubborn 90 yr. old owner to dramatically change his approach to owning and managing an organization he has had for half a century? Let's get real here! :lol:

I thought he just tweaked his back this week?

First game of the year against the Titans I thought walker looked fat, out of shape and huffing anf puffing in his few plays. He has the body and skill for a ride-sider, certainly not a LT. I think they still suck on the OL and putting Walker back at RT and Bell at LT is in no way going to hurt them. Walker is NOT a LT nor will he get better. Bell has a chance to improve so why waste time with Walker at LT when you know that what you have is all you'll ever have?

Best post I have read today. Walker is not very good and just wont be very good no matter what. With Walker at right and Bell at left, even if Bell is a bit worse than Walker, our line as a whole may be better.

If I am in charge, ie if I was given control of the team tomorrow, I would cut Walker, Kelsay, and Schobel, Fire Dick, promote April and pack up on the season. My theory would be we are going to suck anyways so we might as well work the salary cap to our advantage for 2010 so we can pursue some real players with the money freed up from those bums. I could then see what kind of a coach April is. I could then see our young guys play and see how they do, ie Bell, Wood, Levitre, Ellis, Maybin and Bryan.

Thats a big shake up but its not like the Bills could get any worse anyways...

Thats a big shake up but its not like the Bills could get any worse anyways...

Really? I know 7-9 hasn't been fun, but this team has won 7 times each of the last three years, and usually it felt like we were better than that and were one or two plays away from being one or two games better than that (JP's Jet's game last year). So you think it can't get worse because we got shutout in preseason? This is still a 7-9ish team. I am becoming more pessimistic that DJ can turn it into a 10-6 team, but there is a long fall from the #11 pick to the #1 pick, and even though I'm sure many of the people on this board long to overpay that first pick, it is a rough 17 weeks that way.

I do not see any reshuffling of the line happening, and I don't see a need to. Walker will be below average to above average, will get help from the tight end or running backs as they figure out where in that range he is, and hopefully will be pushed by Bell (who I can only see taking his place if Walker is hurt or a complete disaster).

The Bills have been bad for a decade. So what is the surprise when they continue to flounder along. What is remarkable, is that our clueless owner has kept the same front office in place,

Man, I see this kind of talk a lot and it is confusing to me. Why has RW kept the same front office? You really don't know the answer to this? How about more than 55 thousand season ticket sales 2 years in a row for the first time in franchise history. Not even when the Bills were in the SuperBowl every freaking year did that happen. Sales were down, so Brandon signs T.O. and just so happens to announce in the same press conference that the ticket office will be open on Sunday (which it normally was not). And the Bills Fans bought in according to plan. There is no reason RW should change the front office. Not while the sheep still flock to Ralph Wilson Stadium every home game and buy jerseys etc.

Really? I know 7-9 hasn't been fun, but this team has won 7 times each of the last three years, and usually it felt like we were better than that and were one or two plays away from being one or two games better than that (JP's Jet's game last year). So you think it can't get worse because we got shutout in preseason? This is still a 7-9ish team. I am becoming more pessimistic that DJ can turn it into a 10-6 team, but there is a long fall from the #11 pick to the #1 pick, and even though I'm sure many of the people on this board long to overpay that first pick, it is a rough 17 weeks that way.

I do not see any reshuffling of the line happening, and I don't see a need to. Walker will be below average to above average, will get help from the tight end or running backs as they figure out where in that range he is, and hopefully will be pushed by Bell (who I can only see taking his place if Walker is hurt or a complete disaster).

I agree, there is plenty of room for this team to get worse. But missing the playoffs every year and hanging close to .500 footbal is just too frustrating. Maybe they should just blow it up. Also I see Demetrius Bell starting at left tackle in the not so distant future. He has an upside that Walker does not have. Might as well let Bell, Levitre and Wood all grow together. On a side note, it might be time to say goodbye to Kelsay.