2004 - Best QB Class Ever

/dev/null

Meh only 7 out of the 2004 class of 17 are still in the league. Do a select few that have above average grades make an entire class good even though the majority failed their exams?

Class of '83 built its reputation on Elway, Marino, and Kelly. Nobody talks much about Blackledge, O'Brien, or Eason -- the other three first-rounders -- anymore ...

Class of '83 built its reputation on Elway, Marino, and Kelly. Nobody talks much about Blackledge, O'Brien, or Eason -- the other three first-rounders -- anymore ...

The HOF enshrined all the three QBs.....Let us wait for a decade before making the suggestion that all the 3 of the 2004 class are HoF Worthy.

Neither Eason nor O'Brien were terrible. Eason led the Pats to the Super Bowl one year and threw three TDs in the AFC championship game. O'Brien went to the Pro Bowl a couple times and I think he led the league in passing one year. He was pretty efficient. Neither of them were great players but they weren't busts either.

Not to mention the great Bruce Mathison was drafted as a QB in '83.

Not sure you can judge great QB by Superbowl victories, its a team sport

And that's exactly what they're doing, isn't it? Guarantee that if any of the '83 guys had the current Steelers D on their side -- I'm going through their numbers for the preview right now, and they're un-frickin-believable -- they'd have won a couple of rings long before Terrell Davis arrived in Denver.

I look at it this way, If JP goes to one of those teams I am sure he pans out, if we got one of those guys they'd be in the UFL.

I look at it this way

There's a reason the Chargers drafted Eli Manning instead of JP Losman

There's a reason the Giants drafted Phillip Rivers instead of JP Losman

There's a reason the the Chargers and Giants made that trade instead of waiting to draft JP Losman

There's a reason the Steelers drafted Big Ben

And even if any of those QBs had been drafted by the Bills and "got screwed" :ph34r: like JP, there would be NFL teams willing to sign them

I look at it this way

There's a reason the Chargers drafted Eli Manning instead of JP Losman

There's a reason the Giants drafted Phillip Rivers instead of JP Losman

There's a reason the the Chargers and Giants made that trade instead of waiting to draft JP Losman

There's a reason the Steelers drafted Big Ben

And even if any of those QBs had been drafted by the Bills and "got screwed" :ph34r: like JP, there would be NFL teams willing to sign them

It's impossible to say, but IMO only Big Ben probably would look like a decent quarterback if he spent his entire career on the Bills in the same way that Losman did. I think Eli and Rivers would look like crap on this team (and I am not at all saying that Losman is as good as them). Big Ben, to me, would be able to make plays because he can run and he's so huge and he often makes something out of nothing. And I don't think he would have good stats at all, just a better record than what we have had. I think Rivers and Eli would have been killed trying to stand back there and throw on this team in the last four years.

And that's exactly what they're doing, isn't it? Guarantee that if any of the '83 guys had the current Steelers D on their side -- I'm going through their numbers for the preview right now, and they're un-frickin-believable -- they'd have won a couple of rings long before Terrell Davis arrived in Denver.

Agreed. Kelly's Bills defense, Elway's Bronco defense and Marino's Dolphin defense could never compare to the current Steeler or Giants D. And even Banks article states that the Chargers need to strengthen their defense to make a legitamate shot st the championship.

The thing about the '83 QBs is that they essentially carried their teams (via the offense) to their respective Super Bowls (but their defenses couldnt seal the deal). While Ben and Eli certainly were instrumental in their teams going to and winning their SBs, they couldnt have done it without those incredible defenses.

It's impossible to say, but IMO only Big Ben probably would look like a decent quarterback if he spent his entire career on the Bills in the same way that Losman did. I think Eli and Rivers would look like crap on this team (and I am not at all saying that Losman is as good as them). Big Ben, to me, would be able to make plays because he can run and he's so huge and he often makes something out of nothing. And I don't think he would have good stats at all, just a better record than what we have had. I think Rivers and Eli would have been killed trying to stand back there and throw on this team in the last four years.

Yeah, we saw what Eli looked like in the rain and wind at the Ralph. Wasn't pretty. Just think -- if Jason Peters doesn't get hurt and the Bills win that game (a distinct possibility), maybe the Giants lose in Seattle in the first round of the playoffs that year instead of ending up in the Super Bowl.

Yeah, we saw what Eli looked like in the rain and wind at the Ralph. Wasn't pretty. Just think -- if Jason Peters doesn't get hurt and the Bills win that game (a distinct possibility), maybe the Giants lose in Seattle in the first round of the playoffs that year instead of ending up in the Super Bowl.

Yeah maybe if Eli has a bad game against the Bills at the end of 2007, the Giants don't go on to win the Super Bowl

But maybe if JP doesn't drop a steaming pile at the Meadowlands at the end of 2008, he just might get offered a roster spot to compete for backup/#3 QB

Reminds me of that MadTV video dating skit....Lowered Expectations

Didn't Tom Donahoe have some deal worked out with Jax in order to get Jax's pick and grab Big Ben before Pittsburgh did?

Yes, but the receiver they coveted dropped to them, so they nixed the deal. Reggie Williams was the guy if I'm not mistaken.

i also heard TD wanted to trade up to houston, but couldn't because they wanted a CB. you know, if TD got big ben, he'd still be here and generally be considered a great GM (mularky too probably). i remember chris carter saying something on TV "it's not the X's and the O's, it's the willies and the joes"