Rochester D&C

WOW Rochester's D&C is probably the most depressing thing a Bills fan can encounter. I live in Rochester, and if it wasn't for this website where I can read stuff from other news sources, I think I would have ended it all a long time ago.

Even though the negativity has probably been uncomfortably accurate over the past few years, it is a soul-sucking experience to read it day after day after day after day.

98% of the negative stuff comes from one writer, Sal Maiorana, the Senior Bills beat writer, and I don't know what happened in his life to make him the way he is, but it must have been horrible.

Anyways, I guess this way just to vent and say thanks to Two Bills Drive for being there when I need it most!

WOW Rochester's D&C is probably the most depressing thing a Bills fan can encounter. I live in Rochester, and if it wasn't for this website where I can read stuff from other news sources, I think I would have ended it all a long time ago.

Even though the negativity has probably been uncomfortably accurate over the past few years, it is a soul-sucking experience to read it day after day after day after day.

98% of the negative stuff comes from one writer, Sal Maiorana, the Senior Bills beat writer, and I don't know what happened in his life to make him the way he is, but it must have been horrible.

Anyways, I guess this way just to vent and say thanks to Two Bills Drive for being there when I need it most!

He got cut from his high school football team and thereafter received his first swirly. he has hated football players ever since.

He got cut from his high school football team and thereafter received his first swirly. he has hated football players ever since.

Or he is just being honest. Same team, same coaches, same system and the only significant FA is on the bench with an injury that usually last all season. PLAYOFFS HERE WE COME!!!!!!!!!!

Or he is just being honest. Same team, same coaches, same system and the only significant FA is on the bench with an injury that usually last all season. PLAYOFFS HERE WE COME!!!!!!!!!!

The D&C is the only paper there that calls it like it is. The Bills are a bottom 15 team. Lets just face it. Until Ralph is gone, and fresh new ownership pumps cash in and also moves the franchise to where top notch coachs, GMs and players want to be, they will continue to be a bottom 15 team. Just be happy there is still a team there. The area is no longer top notch NFL material. Ralph is just running it to be cash positive and he is doing a great job of that. the team stinks, but a great great team is not Ralph's goal. If it happens he is more happy, but filling the stands and collection as much TV money as he can is all he can do.

Sal and Leo Roth are great sports beat writers and they call it like it is. You get the same thing from the NY Post down here. I think they give the most honest view and provide great solace on at least 9 of the past 16 Mondays for the past 3 years.

This site can be a soul-sucking experience day after day as well. So, if this site is optomistic compared the the D&C, then I never want to read the D&C...

Sal and Leo Roth are great sports beat writers and they call it like it is. You get the same thing from the NY Post down here. I think they give the most honest view and provide great solace on at least 9 of the past 16 Mondays for the past 3 years.

I have listened to their podcast & the OP is correct. They are both just really negative people about EVERYTHING. Aside from that Leo Roth gets MANY facts WRONG, so no they are not great.

I disagree. Hell, they feature the Bills camp daily. Sal and Leo do good work. I think their shared column is a waste, I never bother reading that but the rest of their Bills coverage is super. Time Warner covers them well too on Channel 26.

I disagree. Hell, they feature the Bills camp daily. Sal and Leo do good work. I think their shared column is a waste, I never bother reading that but the rest of their Bills coverage is super. Time Warner covers them well too on Channel 26.

Nothing wrong with Sal and Leo--they haven't changed their style in years, so the OP must have just started reading the D and C.

They aren't paid to tell you everything is going to be all right. If you need that--go read the Bills shill Chris Brown.

The dude covers a team which hasn't sniffed the playoffs in a decade and blew a 5-1 start last season. You want him to write fluff pieces and blow smoke up your ass?

You get what you pay for and Rochester D&C pay among lowest percentile in industry.

Rochester D&C owner believes a stable writing staff is a plus. He also obviously doesn't believe in paying top dollar to attract proven high-quality editors and columnists.

Bob Mathews, Leo Roth and such probably are near the bottom of the NFL writers pay scale in their positions, and it often shows on Sunday afternoons.

It's not their fault. You don't always get what you pay for in the writers in terms of staff, but you do with editors and columnists.

The D&C is the only paper there that calls it like it is. The Bills are a bottom 15 team. Lets just face it. Until Ralph is gone, and fresh new ownership pumps cash in and also moves the franchise to where top notch coachs, GMs and players want to be, they will continue to be a bottom 15 team. Just be happy there is still a team there. The area is no longer top notch NFL material. Ralph is just running it to be cash positive and he is doing a great job of that. the team stinks, but a great great team is not Ralph's goal. If it happens he is more happy, but filling the stands and collection as much TV money as he can is all he can do.

Agreed. There seems to be an unwillingness to accept any criticism of the Bills by some on this site. Kill the messenger. Yes, Bills fans are in a weak position to enact change but that doesn't mean they should just shut up and take it. Rochester D and C in a better position than most and are doing their job. Positive results from this are open to question but blithely accepting failure doesn't work either.

You get what you pay for and Rochester D&C pay among lowest percentile in industry.

Rochester D&C owner believes a stable writing staff is a plus. He also obviously doesn't believe in paying top dollar to attract proven high-quality editors and columnists.

Bob Mathews, Leo Roth and such probably are near the bottom of the NFL writers pay scale in their positions, and it often shows on Sunday afternoons.

It's not their fault. You don't always get what you pay for in the writers in terms of staff, but you do with editors and columnists.

I'd LOVE to know how you acquired this information, especially since the D+C is part of the nationwide Gannett chain, not under private ownership. Also, Matthews doesn't even cover games, other than the columns written from Rochester.

So you're saying that if they paid their reporters more, they would write more pleasing and upbeat pieces?? Is that what a "high quality" columnist does?

Why does that make sense to you?

So you're saying that if they paid their reporters more, they would write more pleasing and upbeat pieces?? Is that what a "high quality" columnist does?

Why does that make sense to you?

I'm no journalist, but as a human being and a fan of the team, a person's perspective should be balanced...negative about some things, positive about other things. Even if the team were losing 12 or 13 games a season (which it is not), I would still expect some good and some bad. If it really is negativity day after day as the OP says, it doesn't make much sense to me. There's being realistic, then there's just being pessimistic.

Here's the perfect news source for you...