Absence of draws and screens explained

stevewin

or at least one theory

The screen and draw game has been a struggle for the Bills for the past few years, and it’s had very little to do with Buffalo’s running backs. Screens have appeared slow to develop the past few seasons as Buffalo’s linemen sometimes struggled to get out in front of the backs or get downfield to execute their blocking assignment.

Some of the interior linemen of the past also had trouble at times executing draw plays when it came to sealing off the edges to allow a back to get through the hole.

As a result offensive coordinator Turk Schonert had fewer options when it came to play calling last season as screens and draws were not yielding the positive yardage they should.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3...4b-48abebbdc952

And I've got a theory about the poor quarterback performance over the past decade...

Buffalo’s linemen sometimes struggled

And the spotty running game...

Hell, it even works on the other side of the ball. How about that pass rush?

A screen or draw works when the opposition fears your passing game. Nobody fears the Bills passing or offense at all. Why would a screen or draw work when you can't run basic plays?

Yes.

Sun Tzu said that to feign weakness, one must first be strong.

I've never felt that weak O-lines lines can cover this up by using screens and draws. Screens and draws work when the defense is over committing to the pass rush. This only happens if they don't think that they can get pressure on the QB with their standard pass rush (i.e. the O-Line is strong in pass protection). If the O-line is weak, there's no need to overcommit. The defense can play with good discipline and balance and cover their responsibilities more easily. If, on the other hand, the defense is obsessed with getting to the QB because they aren't getting any pressure, then discipline breaks down and screens and draws open up.

JMO.

Buffalobills.com? Literally the company line. The line is where they have made the most changes,, so the old line makes a good scapegoat. I doubt the line play this year will be significantly better.

We can point the finger in ten different directions and always be right. The team just isn't/hasn't been good.

If they could get the ball down the field a screen would have been easy to run.

If they could protect the QB, they could get the ball down the field.

If the receivers could get open, there would be less pressure on the QB.

If the QB could throw accurately/or downfield, the running game could move the chains. Blah blah blah....

Lots of problems, but this team needs a real good QB or nothing will happen.

I posted on this article yesterday. I have always thought the Bills brass under appreciated the use of screens and draws. Maybe this explains why they didn't run them often enough. Even if they are unsuccessful, those plays put DEs on the "defensive." I hope the Turk takes advantage...

To recap: so the brain trust's solution to fixing a bad veteran line was to trade the All-Pro LT, cut the overpaid LG, dump both sucky Cs, move the RG to RT, and move the sloth-footed RT to LT, draft a C to play RG, draft a T to play LG, and pick up another teams backup utility guy to play the pivot in a 3-4 dominated division. And, not even halfway through pre-season, they are starting to work a 7th round pick from last year in with this group until he tweaked his back. And, the depth is virtually non-existent.

To recap: so the brain trust's solution to fixing a bad veteran line was to trade the All-Pro LT, cut the overpaid LG, dump both sucky Cs, move the RG to RT, and move the sloth-footed RT to LT, draft a C to play RG, draft a T to play LG, and pick up another teams backup utility guy to play the pivot in a 3-4 dominated division. And, not even halfway through pre-season, they are starting to work a 7th round pick from last year in with this group until he tweaked his back. And, the depth is virtually non-existent.

Excelsior!

But they run screens better