The cost of resigning or signing a starting QB

cmjoyce113

First of all with the money that Eli and Rivers got the price of a QB per season is about $16 million with $6 or $7 million guarenteed.

After this season the Bills are going to have to make a choice on whether to resign Edwards or not. If we let him test the market he will sign first day somewhere for big money. He has the tools but lacks the coaching to be elite.

If we let him go we have no one on the roster to start for us. Our options would be to either draft or look to free agency.

Draft - Tebow, Colt McCoy, maybe Bradford, maybe Clausen ...if they choose to come out

These are probably the only guys in the draft that could step up and be a franchise qb immediately.

2010 free agent qb's - Jason Campbell, Kyle Orton, Charlie Batch, David Carr, Daunte Culpepper, Jeff Garcia, Travaris Jackson

I dont know what you guys think but those are our options other than edwards

That is why they play the games.

If Trent plays well this season you try to sign him for $9-10m per.

If you cannot sign him you Franchise him.

If Trent sucks, you draft a guy in Rd1 and sign a vet.

Unless of course you are JP Losman. you fail to get an NFL offer and jump to the useless football league. Rmember this guy was to be the next Jim Kelly <_<

First of all with the money that Eli and Rivers got the price of a QB per season is about $16 million with $6 or $7 million guarenteed.

After this season the Bills are going to have to make a choice on whether to resign Edwards or not. If we let him test the market he will sign first day somewhere for big money. He has the tools but lacks the coaching to be elite.

If we let him go we have no one on the roster to start for us. Our options would be to either draft or look to free agency.

Draft - Tebow, Colt McCoy, maybe Bradford, maybe Clausen ...if they choose to come out

These are probably the only guys in the draft that could step up and be a franchise qb immediately.

2010 free agent qb's - Jason Campbell, Kyle Orton, Charlie Batch, David Carr, Daunte Culpepper, Jeff Garcia, Travaris Jackson

The first thing the Bills need to do is to hire competent NFL coaches to allow their expensive QB to play up to his potential.

I don't know where to start.

1. You know he's under contract next year, right? You make it sound like we have to make a decision this year (although obviously if he's a lame duck next year, it doesn't bode well for his future.)

2. If he plays well enough to warrant a big new contract, we'll sign him to one. If not, he's not going to go somewhere else for big $. He'll most likely sign on somewhere else for backup money, maybe with some performance incentives.

3. As far as future options at QB, I'll let others speculate, to me it seems like a complete waste of time this far out.

Pretty simple. If he has a good year they re-sign him, if not they resign him...

After this season the Bills are going to have to make a choice on whether to resign Edwards or not. If we let him test the market he will sign first day somewhere for big money. He has the tools but lacks the coaching to be elite. If we let him go we have no one on the roster to start for us. Our options would be to either draft or look to free agency.

If Edwards keeps playing like he is, nobody is going to sign him to big money. He will be in the same situation as Losman is. So far thier careers have almost mirrored each other. You say Edwards has the tools but lacks the coaching, Losman has more physical tools than Edwards does, by far, but Edwards may have a better mental grasp of the game. Still, if nothing changes, Edwards will be inline for the UFL just like Losman is. At this point the Bills would be foolish to give Edwards a big contract, he hasn't done anything to earn it yet.

The first thing the Bills need to do is to hire competent NFL coaches to allow their expensive QB to play up to his potential.

Amen :thumbsup:

The Bills might be in line to get that 1st overall pick after this season if Jauron stays the entire year, so the Bills will have their choice of QB's to choose from. If Jauron is still in charge,he will find the Todd Blackledge and draft him...

Amen :thumbsup:

The Bills might be in line to get that 1st overall pick after this season if Jauron stays the entire year, so the Bills will have their choice of QB's to choose from. If Jauron is still in charge,he will find the Todd Blackledge and draft him...

If we draft a first round QB we will have to pay him Stafford/Sanchez amount of money. I think we can get Trent for less or the same than that amount and with 3 years of experience.

If we draft a first round QB we will have to pay him Stafford/Sanchez amount of money. I think we can get Trent for less or the same than that amount and with 3 years of experience.

If we draft a QB top ten (which I guess is what the last poster was implying) then we have to pay through the nose. If we like somebody later in the round, and trade down, or trade up from the 2nd, then not so much.

Who would you rather be right now, JP playing for Jim Fassel or Trent playing for DJ?

Ya know, I thought that was a pretty snarky question at first, but the more I thought about it, the harder it was to decide. And I think Snert is more to blame for the offensive woes than DJ.

I will say this:

Draft Tebow.

why would we want to re- sign trent and who in their right mind would pay big money for him?

It's a real question. Would you want to be a young QB playing for Jauron?

Anyone with even a spec of common sense or intelligence would know that any quarterback would rather be in the NFL playing for anyone compared to playing in another startup league that doesn't even if or how they will operate, even if it is with a good coach. And if Fassel is that great of a coach, why hasn't anyone hired him the last few years?