OK....now can we please get Aaron Maybin into camp

I don't understand how this is the Bill's fault. This guy saw that crabtree might get millions more and wants to use it as leverage. What's the worst for him? He caves in and still get 14 million guaranteed? If he *loses* this negotiation then he still is gonna around 14 million guaranteed and this will likely be a wash.

Blame the bills for drafting him. Don't blame them for for being sane.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa! Get a load of you!

Well, my questions were pretty tricky.....

Just pointing out that it's hard to say you're "negotiating" if neither side has made an offer.

If you want to believe that it is possible that the Bills have not had a conversation or conversations with Maybin's reps simply because you haven't heard of any such meetings......go right ahead, I guess. My question was a way of suggesting that there may be things that you and I are not privy to regarding this issue. Your answer suggests that you have not or will not consider this possibility. Anyway, an AP story a week ago (jw, perhaps?) mentioned the "slow pace of contract talks" and "stalled negotiations". Pardon me if I logically concluded that, therefore, there had been communication between the parties.

By the way, did the Bills FO inform you that they had resigned DJ last fall? They refused to confirm (out of shame no doubt) this to the rest of us until after the season. How about when they were started negotiating with TO? No? That's odd.

As for your example--it couldn't be less appropriate (on several levels)---Maybin has, by being drafted by the Bills, already been offered the job. This is a compensation issue, not an employment issue.

But to answer you question anyway: If you don't get offered a job, yeah, I guess that's one way to remain jobless.

Relax there cowboy, all I said was that I stated my question very clearly: can anyone produce any link from a solid source that says Buffalo made an offer to Maybin? That's all I'm asking. In return, you asked how someone could holdout without an offer, which I said was really, really easy: if you don't have an offer, you can't sign. Can't sign = can't play.

But I digress...I suppose that the answer to my original question is still "no, nobody can produce a link to any media outlet reporting that Buffalo made Maybin an offer". The best I've gotten is a from-the-hip comment: "an AP story a week ago (jw, perhaps?) mentioned the 'slow pace of contract talks' ". I looked around the web for it, but didn't find a thing. The closest thing is a Jerry Sullivan article this very morning stating that the Bills are ready to sign Maybin for what they feel is the correct slotting value, but it sounds like--and yes, I'm assuming based on the tone of the article--this is more an assumption from Jerry than anything else.

And, by the way, you are incorrect about my example not being appropriate. Maybe where you come from football players can play without a contract, but in the NFL, they cannot. So no, if he doesn't get an offer, he can't play. That was the point.

EDIT: Thanks for the JW link, Dean.

never fails to amaze me how the team with the power to end this impass always gets a free pass.

maybe if the Bills operated like a PROFESSIONAL football team that was committed to winning, and not like a bunch of penny pinching tightwads, they would have their players in camp on time.

there is no excuse for the Bills

slotting is just more mumbo-jumbo to manipulate the lemmings

as noted above, if all the teams followed the Bills philosopjy, none of the rookies drafted after Crabtree would be signed.

and you will be the 1st to say the Bills overpaid him when he signs.

I don't understand how this is the Bill's fault. This guy saw that crabtree might get millions more and wants to use it as leverage. What's the worst for him? He caves in and still get 14 million guaranteed? If he *loses* this negotiation then he still is gonna around 14 million guaranteed and this will likely be a wash.

Blame the bills for drafting him. Don't blame them for for being sane.

Actually, if the Bills decided to revoke the offer, he goes back into the draft next year. Do you think he will be a high pick, after sitting for a year, and with this history of hard ball negotiation on his rookie contract? He stands to lose quite a bit, IMO.

Relax there cowboy, all I said was that I stated my question very clearly: can anyone produce any link from a solid source that says Buffalo made an offer to Maybin? That's all I'm asking. In return, you asked how someone could holdout without an offer, which I said was really, really easy: if you don't have an offer, you can't sign. Can't sign = can't play.

But I digress...I suppose that the answer to my original question is still "no, nobody can produce a link to any media outlet reporting that Buffalo made Maybin an offer". The best I've gotten is a from-the-hip comment: "an AP story a week ago (jw, perhaps?) mentioned the 'slow pace of contract talks' ". I looked around the web for it, but didn't find a thing. The closest thing is a Jerry Sullivan article this very morning stating that the Bills are ready to sign Maybin for what they feel is the correct slotting value, but it sounds like--and yes, I'm assuming based on the tone of the article--this is more an assumption from Jerry than anything else.

And, by the way, you are incorrect about my example not being appropriate. Maybe where you come from football players can play without a contract, but in the NFL, they cannot. So no, if he doesn't get an offer, he can't play. That was the point.

Your original question is valid, however do you really believe the Bills have not made an offer?

"if you don't have an offer, you can't sign." True, but that's not what I said.

Let's make your "everyday example" relevant: If your employer offers you the job but does not make a salary offer, are you "holding out"? Of course not. You can only hold out (or sign) if an offer has been made. A holdout is a rejection of an offer made: i.e., a player is "holding out" for a better offer. Very simple, indeed.

"From the hip"?? Guess you didn't search your interwebs for very long:

from NFL.com

ESPN had the same story, same day.

Your original question is valid, however do you really believe the Bills have not made an offer?

He has already clearly answered "no". If he hasn't seen an article or report of an offer, it is impossible for him to believe there has been an offer.

Simple.