OK....now can we please get Aaron Maybin into camp

Once again, can someone PLEASE post a link from the Bills, Maybin's people, or some reliable outside media outlet that says that the team has made him an offer? I still haven't seen one, so it's difficult to put this on anybody but the team.

At least in Crabtree's case, both the team and the player acknowledge that offers have been exchanged, at no point have I seen anything like that in regard to Maybin.

Until I do, the team is on the hook for this fiasco.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again, can someone PLEASE post a link from the Bills, Maybin's people, or some reliable outside media outlet that says that the team has made him an offer? I still haven't seen one, so it's difficult to put this on anybody but the team.

At least in Crabtree's case, both the team and the player acknowledge that offers have been exchanged, at no point have I seen anything like that in regard to Maybin.

Until I do, the team is on the hook for this fiasco.

Why would you think they haven't made an offer? What else would the Bills have done to this point?

How can you negotiate (or holdout, for that matter) unless there has been an offer ot reject?

Why would you think they haven't made an offer? What else would the Bills have done to this point?

How can you negotiate (or holdout, for that matter) unless there has been an offer ot reject?

The bottom line is we don't know a freaking thing so there is no point in getting all riled up at the front office or at Maybin. Not that a lack of information ever stopped anyone around here from playing Mussolini from the blacony.

Its frustrating, that is the one thing we know for certain.

Typical Bills luck though isn't it? The guy we most need to be in camp is the one guy who isn't at camp. If there was ever a first round pick that needed plenty of learning time, its Maybin. Started only one year, came out early and is undersized. Sheeesh. :lol:

I thought I stated it pretty clearly, but here goes: there has been nothing, absolutely nothing, said by either side (Bills or Maybin) to indicate that offers have been exchanged, or that conversations are even taking place. Compare it to the Crabtree situation, where the team clearly made an offer, and the player clearly rejected it, as has been covered (albeit ad naseum) in the media. All I've ever heard on Maybin is that his deal is dependent upon the Crabtree deal, and that conversations are not taking place.

And in response to your second question: it's actually really, really easy...if you don't have a contract offer, you can't sign one. If you don't sign a contract, you can't participate in practice (hence the holdout). How could that possibly confuse you? Here's a nice comparison to every day life: if you don't get a job offer after going on an interview, can you still not have a job, or is the only way to be jobless to reject a job offer?

Who would have ever thought that our less then superstar first round pick, who seemed to have as many detractors as supporters going into the draft, would get his contract signed by agent Segal and the Bills, after Segal got convicted felon Mike Vick a deal back into the NFL??? :nana::lol::lol:

Yea because Vick was difficult to negotiate with considering his current leverage and the demand for aging ex-convict quarterbacks who don't fit the pocket passer mold...

Maybin is a B word at this point.

1) Would you say that to him face-to-face? Didn't think so.

2) What does that make the organization that, quite literally, refuses to sign him? Don't you think that if the team made him a good offer right now he'd sign it?

So it looks like this is probably down to a couple million dollars either way...the Bills offering 24 million and Maybin's trying to get 27ish.

Just hope he is in game shape when and if he gets here...or will end up like Peters after his hold-out - worthless for the first 4 or 5 games...

NFL.com

Pk Player Pos. Team Status Contract

1 Matthew Stafford QB Detroit Signed 6 years, $72 million ($41.7M guaranteed)

2 Jason Smith OT St. Louis Signed 5 years, $61.775 million ($33M guaranteed)

3 Tyson Jackson DE Kansas City Signed 5 years, $57 million ($31M guaranteed)

4 Aaron Curry LB Seattle Signed 6 years, $60 million ($34M guaranteed)

5 Mark Sanchez QB N.Y. Jets Signed 5 years, $60 million ($28M guaranteed)

6 Andre Smith OT Cincinnati Unsigned

7 Heyward-Bey WR Oakland Signed 5 years, $38.25 million ($23.5M guaranteed)

8 Eugene Monroe OT Jacksonville Signed 5 years, $35.4 million ($19.2M guaranteed)

9 B.J. Raji DT Green Bay Signed 5 years, $28.5 million ($18M guaranteed)

10 Crabtree WR San Francisco Unsigned

11 Aaron Maybin DE Buffalo Unsigned

12 Knowshon Moreno RB Denver Signed 5 years, $23 million ($13M guaranteed)

13 Brian Orakpo DE Washington Signed 5 years, $20 million ($12.1M guaranteed)

14 Malcolm Jenkins CB New Orleans Signed 5 years, up to $19 million ($11M guaranteed)

15 Brian Cushing LB Houston Signed 5 years, $18 million ($10.435M guaranteed)

16 Larry English DE San Diego Signed 5 years, $17.8 million ($9.9M guaranteed)

17 Josh Freeman QB Tampa Bay Signed 5 years, $36 million (10.25M guaranteed)

18 Robert Ayers LB Denver Signed 5 years

Until now, I've had the "don't worry--it's still early" attitude. But now it's getting critical. I don't see that it's necessary to wait for Crabtree at all. Any 7th grade algebra student could look at this list of 1st rounders and figure out Maybin's contract. I blame both sides for dragging this out.

Until now, I've had the "don't worry--it's still early" attitude. But now it's getting critical. I don't see that it's necessary to wait for Crabtree at all. Any 7th grade algebra student could look at this list of 1st rounders and figure out Maybin's contract. I blame both sides for dragging this out.

Indeed. The difference in money has to be small. I suspect there are other issues at play. Structuring of the payments, perhaps. Maybe the agent is concerned how a possible lock-out will impact the payments. Just a guess, but it has to be more than simply cash, as there isn't that much to negotiate over.

1) Would you say that to him face-to-face? Didn't think so.

Most people wouldn't call Ray Lewis a killer to his face either. That doesn't mean he isn't and it doesn't mean Maybin isn't a B word. He is.

2) What does that make the organization that, quite literally, refuses to sign him? Don't you think that if the team made him a good offer right now he'd sign it?

His own "publicist/leech" Lavar Arrington didn't even blame the Bills. He deflected it onto Crabtree which is a mathematical joke and displays Maybin's desire to get #6 money as a #11 pick. And somehow you blame the Bills?

:lol::nana::lol:

Maybin is GREEDIER than Crabtree because at least Crabtree can make a legitimate case he would have been drafted higher.

Who would have ever thought that our less then superstar first round pick, who seemed to have as many detractors as supporters going into the draft, would get his contract signed by agent Segal and the Bills, after Segal got convicted felon Mike Vick a deal back into the NFL??? :nana::lol::lol:

Segal is NOT negotiating the deal. Chafie Fields is.

jw

Segal is NOT negotiating the deal. Chafie Fields is.

jw

When should we look for your piece on this, JW?

EDIT: Chafie Fields? Didn't she used to work in the Catskills?

I'm so tired of Buffalo fans bitching about "greedy" football players and then complaining that we have a terribly mediocre team year after year.

Money is all relative, I will grant you that. Some people's services are worth more than others. Greed has to do with wanting more than you are worth in a well established market. The best checkout clerk in the history of Wal-Mart holding out for $100 an hour would be greedy whereas Bill Gates asking 3 billion for his shares of Microsoft would not.

Maybin wanting #6 money is greed plain and simple. Nobody is saying he shouldn't get millions. Maybin is easily the greediest peron drafted in 2009.

And getting more money won't make him any more or less "mediocre".

Indeed. The difference in money has to be small. I suspect there are other issues at play. Structuring of the payments, perhaps. Maybe the agent is concerned how a possible lock-out will impact the payments. Just a guess, but it has to be more than simply cash, as there isn't that much to negotiate over.

It's all about the benjamins...

It's all about the benjamins...

No doubt, but it may not be a big difference in total dollars (it really can't be, can it?) but rather how and when the funds are paid, or something of that nature.

No doubt, but it may not be a big difference in total dollars (it really can't be, can it?) but rather how and when the funds are paid, or something of that nature.

Those factors can all be compared with others drafted around Maybin. The wild card is connecting Maybin to Crabtree which is based in greed, not reality.

Money is all relative, I will grant you that. Some people's services are worth more than others. Greed has to do with wanting more than you are worth in a well established market. The best checkout clerk in the history of Wal-Mart holding out for $100 an hour would be greedy whereas Bill Gates asking 3 billion for his shares of Microsoft would not.

Maybin wanting #6 money is greed plain and simple. Nobody is saying he shouldn't get millions. Maybin is easily the greediest peron drafted in 2009.

And getting more money won't make him any more or less "mediocre".

And what exactly is this based on?