Maybin holdout

nuklz2594

If players and agents can hold teams hostage, than why have 28 out of 32 first round picks already signed with there respective teams? And if and when Maybin and the Bills come to an agreement, why couldn't this have been hammered out 3-4 weeks ago? I firmly believe that the terms agreed to will be a little better than Moreno's, but nothing out of wack with the other draft picks. Maybin's holdout has been a mystery from the start. I don't think the Bills would lowball him. But I don't think the Bills are drowning in their tears that he is not in camp. I think they view him as a project for the future.

I think it is rather absurd to suggest they don't expect him to contribute this season, considering they spent the #11 pick and could have had other players that fill just as important holes that would be expected to contribute with that pick. I think it is also rather absurd to think the Bills won't low ball him as well, given their history of signing players. I don't think that Maybin will accept a low offer, but I certainly don't expect the Bills to have started negotiations with a "fair" (and I use this term only in respect to the other draft picks) offer.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Holding out means a player, under contract, is refusing to come to work (because he wants a bigger contract). In this case, the player is the one who is shirking his contractual obligation.

In the case of an unsigned draft pick, there can be no holdout because there is no job for the player to come to. We don't know which side is holding up the deal, or for what reasons.

If the major holdup is strictly monetary, the difference is somewhere around $500,000, maybe $1 Million. They will eventually just split the difference...no? But it could be about how the payments are structured.

According to a radio report I heard down here, the Jags were close to signing Monroe a week or so ago, with the guaranteed money at $19 Million. But somehow, because the way the contract and payments were structured, the guaranteed money was REALLY $16 million. That pissed off the agent, and the deal went sour. They finally signed Monroe to a deal at $19 guaranteed (actually a bit low for that spot). Now, I don't know if the report is true, but the source sounded pretty confident of the info.

Most reports are Maybin is very close to signing. I have yet to hear reports of animosity between the sides. I'm guessing Segal has been a little busy with Vick, and is probably getting down to the nuts-and-bolts of the Maybin deal now.

But hey, I could be wrong.

My goodness, thank you for the education. I had no idea how intricate the entire thing was.

hold out

unsigned rookie

same difference

Holding out means a player, under contract, is refusing to come to work (because he wants a bigger contract). In this case, the player is the one who is shirking his contractual obligation.

What contract? He hasn't signed it yet, so just how is he shirking his contractual obligation?

Whoops.....I just read the rest of your post and I agree. The holdout vs unsigned thing confused me :thumbsup:

In the case of an unsigned draft pick, there can be no holdout because there is no job for the player to come to. We don't know which side is holding up the deal, or for what reasons.

There is a job for Maybin, and the team would love to have him in camp. I get your point - it's not the same as a player already under contract holding out, i.e., Peters last season, but that's just semantics. If I refuse to sign a contract because I want more $$$$, am I not 'holding out' for more money?

Anyway, I didn't expect any more news on this before tonite's game - I do expect Maybin will sign next week and see action next Saturday against Green Bay.

There is a job for Maybin, and the team would love to have him in camp. I get your point - it's not the same as a player already under contract holding out, i.e., Peters last season, but that's just semantics. If I refuse to sign a contract because I want more $$$$, am I not 'holding out' for more money?

Anyway, I didn't expect any more news on this before tonite's game - I do expect Maybin will sign next week and see action next Saturday against Green Bay.

And then get hurt. Thats the usual progression for holdouts.

Not im portant???

CHRIS FREAKIN KELSAY

I think Maybin is kind of important too....

You honestly feel that Maybin will outplay Kelsay? What are the parameters you are considering.....how fast he will run upfield?

Really? No one could have seen that the Bills, who were winning in the 4th Q against suspects teams, might not make the playoffs?

Maybe you're missing the point that it was imprudent to resign a career loser like DJ before the season played out. It is laughable to consider that The FO had convinced poor Ralph that if the Bills made the playoffs, that DJ would become a super-hot commoditiy and there would be a league-wide bidding war for his services and therefore we had to "lock him up now--cheap".

You're not listening. I didn't say he would become a hot commodity. It was a natural time to make the decision. I didn't say I agree with the decision. I just don't blame them for when they did it. But you insinuate they brought back a 3 time 7-9 coach, that's not exactly how it happened. He was 5-1, when the decision was made. After he went 7-9 again it was too late. Thats all I'm saying. And I am right.

You honestly feel that Maybin will outplay Kelsay? What are the parameters you are considering.....how fast he will run upfield?

I think he can outplay Kelsay. Kelsay is a decent end but to say that he is in the middle of the pack for starting DEs in the NFL would even be a stretch. Not only that, Kelsay gets beat so much by play action and couter moves that it leaves our defense in vulnerable positions, that is the most disheartening thing about Kelsay. Sadly, intelligence is hard to teach so it seems like Kelsay might have already hit his ceiling on playing potential. I'm pretty sure that Maybin is a smarter player than kelsay (or god help us), so the sooner he is acclimated to the nfl game, the sooner he will be better than kelsay......so yeah he can outplay Kelsay but keep in mind, that's not saying much

Who's Maybin?

Really. What kind of arrogant bastard would balk at the chance to play in the NFL and become FILTHY RICH in the process? Not the kind of guy I want around.

I think that the one year wonder underclassman knows that he will be treated like a prison b1tch in the NFL and wants the biggest signing bonus he can get his hands on.

I think that the one year wonder underclassman knows that he will be treated like a prison b1tch in the NFL and wants the biggest signing bonus he can get his hands on.

Bear in mind I'm a PSU fan, and when they drafted him I made one of those Scooby-Doo "hrnh?" sounds.

He needs to get to camp. Like yesterday. If he ain't signed in two weeks, take the medicine and forget him.

Really. What kind of arrogant bastard would balk at the chance to play in the NFL and become FILTHY RICH in the process? Not the kind of guy I want around.

Jim Kelly?

You're right. The Bills don't need those kind of guys.

Bear in mind I'm a PSU fan, and when they drafted him I made one of those Scooby-Doo "hrnh?" sounds.

He needs to get to camp. Like yesterday. If he ain't signed in two weeks, take the medicine and forget him.

The funny thing is that I'm not clamoring for this guys arrival as a savior, which it should probably be for #11 overall. It's more like he has to get in and prove he belongs in the NFL. I didn't like the selection on draft day and it's not looking so great now.

But all of the experts here claim that there's no way that a casual fan can know more than the Bills brain trust. :thumbsup:

That opinion, quite frankly, is bull. The Bills braintrust don't have a clue what they're doing.

But you do, Joe. We know that. :thumbsup:

Where is ICE when you need him?

That opinion, quite frankly, is bull. The Bills braintrust don't have a clue what they're doing.

Well...the brain trust not having a clue what they are doing and the brain trust knowing more than the casual fan aren't exactly mutually exclusive. :thumbsup: