No Tweeting for Maybin

scribo

Oh please. :doh: Who are you the grand master of the message board?

No, but he is someone who spent several years as a working journalist. And K-Gun's post violates our TOS: "You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by TBD. "

I hadn't seen this until now. I'll take care of it.

(Edit: oops, originally quoted the wrong post. My bad, cincy.)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

will have update moving on AP wire on this shortly, with comments from someone familiar with why talks are stalled.

jw

This is exactly what we need. It's frustrating sorting through various websites/bulletin boards to get the true info vs. speculation. Hopefully, you can get the scoop. Thanks for stepping up for us! :doh:

This it?

http://wjz.com/wireapsportsmd/Bills.unsign....2.1123874.html

(Add: I assume you'll insert the actual quote on a writethru?)

that's the one. just filed writethru with quotes (note: these first bites are used to get stories out quickly and also to our broadcast members, so quotes are usually not included) and more details.

jw

Ridiculous. Rookie contracts are slotted and valued at the amount of guaranteed money -- as opposed to overall possible value. Maybin's floor is set. His position of DE and his specialty of "pass rusher" has also had its parameters defined. We know what the 11th pick (some CB from Troy?) got last year and we know the percent increase in contracts on average for the 1st round and the percent that the cap has gone up. The "wait" has nothing to do with Maybin -- his value is set and will be 5 years with at around $18 mill guaranteed (the total number is irrelevant, but if you need one it should be $29 to $31 mill). The "wait" has to do with his agent's ability to attract first year talent next year. If Crabtree's deal does not fall in line, then Maybin's deal will be perceived as low and other agents will use it against Maybin's agent next year when recruiting first-round talent. Bottom line -- there is no end in sight until Maybin tells his agent to get it done! So running for cover due to a situation completely in his control seems cowardly at best. I hope he has more will, conviction and substance on the field.

The figures are slotted in. But only to within half a million bucks or so. And to some people, not yourself of course, but many others, that's still a lot of cash.

that's the one. just filed writethru with quotes (note: these first bites are used to get stories out quickly and also to our broadcast members, so quotes are usually not included) and more details.

Thanks for the article, and just I what I expected: pure BS from Maybin's side. Like there is a gun pointed at their heads making them wait for Crabtree's deal before they can get their own deal done. Orakpo signed his deal without either pick around him signing first. And Moreno has already signed. This is getting ridiculous and it's time for the Bills to tell Maybin to sign or sit out the season. He won't sit out the season and will sign, and if it pisses him off, too freakin' bad.

Thanks for the article, and just I what I expected: pure BS from Maybin's side. Like there is a gun pointed at their heads making them wait for Crabtree's deal before they can get their own deal done. Orakpo signed his deal without either pick around him signing first. And Moreno has already signed. This is getting ridiculous and it's time for the Bills to tell Maybin to sign or sit out the season. He won't sit out the season and will sign, and if it pisses him off, too freakin' bad.

No he doesn't have a gun held to his head but he is paying his agent to do the best that he can. His agent then tells him what he thinks is the best thing to do and he is probably right since he is the one who negotiates contracts for a living. Maybin is doing what is prudent to do and you can't fault him for that. This sort of thing happens every year with many teams and yet you guys are always crabbing about it.

No he doesn't have a gun held to his head but he is paying his agent to do the best that he can. His agent then tells him what he thinks is the best thing to do and he is probably right since he is the one who negotiates contracts for a living. Maybin is doing what is prudent to do and you can't fault him for that. This sort of thing happens every year with many teams and yet you guys are always crabbing about it.

It happens every year that 5 of the top-11 players are unsigned 1-2 weeks into training camp, with no end in sight? And his agent is "doing him a favor" by delaying getting him into camp, so that he can earn more money through incentives based on playing time/production, which will now be limited because he's missed so much time?

Look, if Crabtree succeeds in getting top-3 money, or even more money than GHB, Maybin won't be getting anything close to that from the Bills. So waiting is moot. I'd just cut to the chase and tell him what I said in the other post.

Until we hear what numbers are being offered, we really can't comment on either side being unreasonable or at fault. Hopefully, they can come to terms without Crabtree's contract getting done. They have a ballpark figure with Moreno's contract, IMO. It is frustrating though that rookies hold out, and are basically a waste for the first part of the regular season.

The figures are slotted in. But only to within half a million bucks or so. And to some people, not yourself of course, but many others, that's still a lot of cash.

No -- I agree it is a lot of money to us and me. You are absolutely right about slotting being a range and Maybin could very well squeeze extra money out of the Bills. However, if Crabtree settles for lower than expected, Maybin could lose money on that range. I guess my point was more about motivation. The agent is looking to next year's class at this point and Maybin probably needs to get more involved if he wants to get in anytime soon. Also, I do not think the guaranteed money will change regardless of what Crabtree does. Moreno did not use Maybin as an excuse and did get his deal done. How does Arrington and Maybin's agent explain that? Did Moreno settle for less? Could he have gotten an extra $500k by waiting? Possibly. But he could have also lost money. Your point is a good one-- we are talking about real money -- if it is guaranteed. I just do not think there is any proof that waiting through camp and having the picks around you sign first leads to more guaranteed money (ask Derrick Harvey). All it really does is protect the agent's ability to recruit next year's class by making sure their numbers are in line and that he cannot be criticized by other agents for caving.

Fine! No tweeting for me until Maybin signs, either.

Although I don't and never will participate on Twitter.

I will join you also, and add in Facebook. Of course, I don't have an account at either, but this way, I don't have to worry about signing up.

C'mon...like that would happen. :w00t:

People in the Bills front office do read TBD, and have contacted us in relation to things posted here. So it wouldn't take much for them to decide to sue.

This is my problem with all of this......

I really hope I am wrong.....but I bet there is a correlation between rookies who show up this late to camp and injuries.....

They have to get up to speed quick so they get pushed harder then they should be.....end up getting some kind of injury.....and you still dont know what you have until the following year.

Once again....I really hope that I am wrong.