Am I the only one who doesn't have a problem with Fisher

eball

I mean, come on -- at least the guy is into the game and trying to have fun. It was preseason and he had a substitute punter in the game. He gave the fans something to get excited about in a meaningless game. Good for him.

No objections here and if we had done it, the board would be raving about it en masse. Nothing worse than whining when you get beat. It was a nicely executed piece of flim-flammery and I am just glad it happened in preseason when it doesn't really matter.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said in a previous thread, odds are strongly against the Titans' regular punter, Craig Hentrich, trying that play.

In the post game interview, Fisher said that he's been bugging Hentrich to run that play for years, and he said no way. So he figured he'd run it with the rookie, who'd do anything to land an NFL job.

Don't be surprised if April borrows the play for some point in the season.

That play was only allowed to happen because of the roughing the kicker penalty. if that flag doesnt exist, that td doesnt happen, and if buffalo hits the kicker it is an automatic first down.

awesome job by the titans in figuring that out

I had no problem with the play, if your gonna take a big chance on a fake punt then why not do it in preseason.

I'll wager Bruce Smith wanted to strangle Fisher though, he stated he still feels that music city miracle play was a forward pass, I concur with Bruce.

The Bills were robbed that game, but I suppose it makes up for the greatest comeback in NFL history, where Andre Reed stepped out of bounds on the touchdown pass.

As did Don Beebe.

I don't have a problem with it per se but it's right on the edge of poor form. I tend to think that April is happy it happened, particularly this early in a game that doesn't count. It gives him something to refocus his players and beat them over the head with. Suffice it to say that I don't think we'll lose backside contain on a kick again this year though that one play did kind of show why Wendling doesn't play even though he's a great athlete. He had contain as evidenced that he stayed at the line when others rushed. He missed the fake and you could see him look befuddled and then just followed the rest of the pursuit. If he had literally stood still he would have stopped the play. That "blue screen" moment showed me a lot, in a bad way, give that he's not a rookie.

I have a question for the group, given the design of that play the punter takes an awful risk of getting killed. If he WERE to hand that ball off and then got blasted how would that be ruled? It's not roughing the kicker because he didn't kick, or did he make a kicking action when he swung his leg? Generic unnecessary roughness perhaps but even that it dodgy in that the punter put the ball behind his back during the play. How is the rusher supposed to see that? This sort of thing wouldn't have been a problem before but now with the 15 different hitting violatons it's actually a bit of a problem. How would you instruct the defense to defend that play in the future? Do you tell the unblocked men not to hit the guy no matter what just tackle him if it's necessary? Then they stop and do nothing and there's no backside pursuit if he did hand it off. Do you tell them to hit him and take their chances? Obviously the contain guys need to stay put but the unblocked guys have to see all of that and make that decision to hit or not in about 10 yards of space. The fake kicking motion screws it up, otherwise I'd just have the guys go Levar Arringtron on the punter. The problem is if they fake the handoff and actually punt. Then you give away a free first down on the personal foul.

Mark my words, that's not a throwaway play. They'll use a variation of that at least once this year and I bet they get at least a first down by penalty out of it. They'll either hand it off for real, hand it off for real then pass to a gunner or a TE who leaks out (my favorite option), hand it off and then have a reverse, or do all that crazy motion and actually punt basically just trick you into hitting the kicker to get a cheap first down. I say it's not a throw away because you have to practice that play more than once to pull it off that cleanly. They wouldn't spend time on it unless there were counters to it. Getting it on film now makes ST coaches spend time on it and opens up the counters to it and also slows down your punt rush/return by default since your rushers/blockers now have to look for it.

Kudos to Jeff. That's why you're a good coach. You made the whole league waste time thinking about a punt in a pre-season game.

I like Fisher. Sometimes he says/does classless things to get his team in the game. Especially when Baltimore was in the Division. He is a master motivator. But (and here comes the contradiction) in my opinion, he is a class coach and a good guy. I didn't have an issue with the play call.

But I also think that play sent the message that it's open season on the Titans. We'll see.

I thought it was unwise on his part, but I had no problem whatsoever with the play from a sportsmanship standpoint. Another poster commented that if anything, Jeff Fischer did us a favor, and I feel inclined to agree with that. Better that fake punt than say....a field crossing lateral on a kick return in the waning seconds of a playoff game...

I would rather switch rosters with the Titans than switch coaches.

What planet are you from? In the 3 years (going on 4)he has been the Bills head coach, has Jauron had no influence on who is drafted, who is brought in by free agency?

This entire team that was rebuilt by Greg Williams,then rebuilt by Mike Mularkey and now rebuilt by Jauron. The titans have those players because of Jeff Fisher, the Bills have their players because of Dick Jauron.

I'd be willing to bet that Fisher could take this years Bills team and make the playoffs, after some modifications and trades.

Jauron and Turk Schonert would take that Titans team and would have Kerry Collins killed and out for the season after 4 games, after that Vince young would be running for his life every play.

Because they would stop doing what they do best at, and that is running the ball, Schonert would install the no huddle and try and force throws every down. When they finish with a losing season they will proclaim its because the team lacks talent!

I'd take Jeff Fisher in a heartbeat over every current and past Bills coach other then Marv, in the 70's 80's 90's to current time

I don't have a problem with the fake punt... I kinda do have a problem with the intentional safety on the last play of the game... It was a preseason game! There really should be a rule where you can't do that under so many seconds on 4th down. Or a least the other team can get the free kick with zero seconds on the clock.

I thought it was cool and funny, and the kind of thing DJ could't imagine doing on his best day.

The most creative play calling from DJ in the last 4 years was the JP fumble play against the jets last year and we know how that worked out. Name me one other play that was not exactly what would be expected, during his tenure, dare.

Fisher both had fun, and won, in the HOF game.

DJ did neither and his D looked exhausted too.

Sad commentary.

I thought it was cool and funny, and the kind of thing DJ could't imagine doing on his best day.

The most creative play calling from DJ in the last 4 years was the JP fumble play against the jets last year and we know how that worked out. Name me one other play that was not exactly what would be expected, during his tenure, dare.

Fisher both had fun, and won, in the HOF game.

DJ did neither and his D looked exhausted too.

Sad commentary.

Fake field goal/pass to Kelsey vs. Seattle, last year.

I mean, come on -- at least the guy is into the game and trying to have fun. It was preseason and he had a substitute punter in the game. He gave the fans something to get excited about in a meaningless game. Good for him.

We can only wish that Jeff Fisher was our coach. period.

Beebe, but the ref was right there and didn't call it.

I always thought that he went out due to an illegal chuck so it was a fitting "no call' response.

As for Fisher, I saw it as an experiment taking place in a situation where it wouldn't hurt too much if the play "blew up." Just when it could ever be used again is the question.

that's why we play the game

i have absolutely no problem with jeff fisher calling plays like that.there is a reason jeff is a winning coach and dick jauron is a losing coach.jeff expects to win and dick on the other makes excuses after each game how the opponet was real tough.i wish jeff fisher was our coach and not the titans...hell id take marty schottenheimer in a heartbeat over dick.

No objections here and if we had done it, the board would be raving about it en masse. Nothing worse than whining when you get beat. It was a nicely executed piece of flim-flammery and I am just glad it happened in preseason when it doesn't really matter.

Bingo. Hit the nail on the head. I don't believe we'd hear a peep from the loyal throng at TBD about the shady nature of the play, were it the Bills who got 6 points out of it.

The Bills got burned because they got caught with their drawers down. Is that supposed to fall under poor sportsmanship? As I said earlier, Fisher and the Titans operated within the parameters of the rules. And yes, it was executed about as well expected when it was drawn up on the white board. Nice work.

Trying to take a positive from it...maybe it'll be a good learning experience from which the Bills will be able to prevent a 1st down or TD when the games really count. One play can make the difference between a win or loss, and one win or loss can be the difference between playoffs or packing it in after game 16.