What I saw from last nights game

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another interesting note, at least for me, was that I knew since I saw my first practice this year that the Bills would not play C Marvin Philip in the preseason. I mentioned before how good he looked to me out there, and I was betting on the Bills not playing him so they could stash him on the practice squad. My thoughts were confirmed for last night, at least.

On another note, Brandon Rodd is really, really bad.

Oh, and once again, Wood actually played worse than Levitre.

Ans,

I dont understand the "Wood played worse then Levitre" arguement......

You could say that he missed more assignments technical wise but on the ones Wood was on he dominated completely......simply a monster.

I am not going to bag on Levitree for the one bad play......but there was a Wood play in particular where he took out two guys by himself.....delivered what looked to be a forearm shiver to one guy....then turned another guy completely out of the hole which the RB ran through......

He is simply a stud.

Oh, and once again, Wood actually played worse than Levitre.

OK......not sure what game you were watching, but this just shows you don't know what you are looking at when it comes to offensive line play.

Was Wood perfect? No, but he dominated at times and showed that he will be special. Levitre, while he had a couple decent blocks, got blown up a few times and missed a couple of assignments.

Unlike many, I am not going to get down on Levitre after 1 preseason game. He did have a couple nice flashes out there, but if you are saying he was better than Wood last night, then that couldn't be further from the truth. Wood was much better than Levitre last night, although both could have played better at times.

I like them, so far, though. I am anxious to see them again now that they have a game under their belts.....

Thoughts on last night’s game:

1st Quarter:

Defense looked brutal. Bad reads, poor angles really made us look bad so far. McKelvin was totally confused by an out route resulting in a 3rd down conversion. Mitchell had Chris Johnson stopped for a loss, but hesitated as they turned the corner and Johnson burnt him for a first down. The fake punt should have been read immediately, but to the Titan’s credit it was executed flawlessly.

The offense looked pretty good for the most part in the no huddle. Other than when Levitre got blown up, Edwards made some pinpoint throws and moved the chains very well. For the most part I thought the first line played well for the first game of the season. I think they will be improved over last year.

2nd Quarter:

Missed the interception by McKelvin so I can’t comment on it right now. Wow, I take back a lot of the things I said about Xavier Omon. He looks totally different out there. It looks like he’s dropped a little weight and has been working hard at improving his game. His run on the 3rd down conversion was great, almost thought it was a rookie Lynch for a second there. If he continues to improve like this Buffalo’s backfield is set for years to come. Fitzpatrick’s unorthodox cadence threw the defense off a little. I’m very impressed with Wood and Bell, and think that side of the line is set for a while. Hoping to see a little more out of Levitre, but it’s still early. Reggie Corner and Nic Harris looked pretty good on defense. Ellis Lankster’s speed on defense looks to be useful, but he often gets beat on stop and go routes like we saw on the touchdown play for the Titans. That is something that he’ll need to improve upon this year. Bruce Hall has no business being on returns and I think with Omon’s strong showing so far he won’t be on the roster too much longer. As usual missed opportunities and mistakes are costing the Bills points in the first half

3rd Quarter:

Nothing too impressive here on either side of the ball. Anyone who thinks Hamdan is better than Fitzpatrick has to be kidding themselves. Lankster is still having trouble on underneath routes. Ashlee Palmer has looked very good at OLB, much better than I had initially predicted. He could be a very good UDFA pick up for the Bills. WGRZ has lost the feed to the game so I can’t watch any further at this point.

4th Quarter:

Missed most of the quarter due to weather difficulties in Buffalo. Matt Baker serves no purpose on this roster. He was a very mediocre QB at North Carolina and there are plenty of other QBs that went undrafted that deserve a roster spot over him. CJ Hawthorne is another guy who has no business out there on return teams. Shawn Nelson still looks to have a ways to go before he’ll be a true contributor, but I’ll give him a pass for now because he was working mostly with 3rd string talent or less at QB. Disappointing game, but at least there are 4 more to work on things prior to the season.

Invisible players on the field:

Lee Evans – I know the starters were only out there a short time, but I would have liked to see the ball go his way at least once.

Keith Ellison – Don’t think I saw him around the ball at all tonight.

Players that impressed me:

Eric Wood – He looked very good tonight on the right side and I think we have the real deal here.

Demetrius Bell – Also looked very good tonight for the most part. He’s still a work in progress, but at least he is in beta testing now.

Ashlee Palmer – I thought he moved very well towards the ball carrier and put himself in position to make some solid plays out there.

Xavier Omon – Wow what an improvement over last season. He looks trimmer, faster, and is finding daylight quickly. If he keeps this up, it’ll be hard for the Bills to not carry 4 RBs on the roster.

Bryan Scott – Looked very good out there tonight and I think he’s got the SS position all wrapped up this year.

Needing some improvement:

Ellis Lankster – He’s fast and he can find the ball well in zone coverage. However, he looks pedestrian in Man to Man coverage getting beat consistently on underneath and stop and go routes. He needs to improve on this to have any shot of seeing real playing time during the regular season.

Andy Levitre – He’s good, but he’s not ready to start. He needs to hold his point of attack better and stay low coming out of his stance. He can be good, but he needs a lot of playing time and work throughout the rest of the preseason.

Ryan Fitzpatrick – He wasn’t awful, he wasn’t good. Ryan definitely needs to work on a few things like touch and seeing the whole field. He did run the no huddle fairly well and made a couple decent throws that were dropped. Needs to improve on his screen passes and not hanging his receivers out to dry.

Roscoe Parrish – He has to quit auditioning for Dancing with the Stars every time he catches a pass. Like Reggie Bush finally started figure out, Roscoe needs to realize using the same juke move isn’t going to work every time you touch the ball. He needs to get up field with the ball instead of hitting a homerun on every little screen.

I was less than impressed with Jauron going for a 20 yard FG on 4th and 2. In a regular season game, I could see that as being what to do early on, but it’s the preseason, you’re losing and you haven’t found the end zone yet. Those are the things that need to be worked on in these games, not worrying about keeping it close for a 4th quarter comeback. While I certainly was not impressed with where the offense and defense are currently at right now, I do think that the offensive line has the potential to be much better than last year’s line. The 1st team passing attack actually looked very good to me, other than the interception. I like the reads Trent was making and I thought he moved the ball very well out of the no huddle. This offense is going to wear defenses out as long as they stay away from the 3 and outs.

The defense needs to get Aaron Maybin out there as soon as possible because there still is no pass rush talent behind Aaron Schobel. Chris Ellis looked absolutely lost out there again the 2nd and 3rd stringers. No one on the defensive line impressed me last night. I would like to see more of Ashlee Palmer the next few games. He really jumps off the line of scrimmage and made some good reads last night. I think he could be very dangerous as an edge rusher in passing situations. I also would like to know the reasoning behind having our CBs consistently 10 yards off the line of scrimmage. They aren’t slow and they won’t easily be beat over the top. The problem I’ve seen time and time and time again is that they don’t react quickly enough to the out route and the underneath routes. Why? Because they are so far off the ball they need to try to come back 5 yards to jump and under route and if they miss, they have so much momentum going in the wrong direction they get burnt. This really needs to stop if they hope to have any chance of beating teams like New England* and Miami at any point this year.

Don't you feel kind of silly investing your time into that analysis of a preseason game where the starters on both teams saw less than two series?

Don't you feel kind of silly investing your time into that analysis of a preseason game where the starters on both teams saw less than two series?

No, not in the least. Don't like what I write, don't read it.

I thought it was a good read on the play, but a bad throw, which looked like it was caused by the pressure. He hit the lineman with his hand during the release and that could have been the difference between having the ball sail on him (as it did) and dropping it inbetween the two defenders (Lee was open, but about 2 yards behind where the ball landed). I really hope that something like this doesn't mak ehim gun-shy in the future. To make the offense work, he has to throw the ball into coverage and be able to accept a pick here and there. Getting 50 yards and throwing a pick is much better than going three and out. Good teams can at least get a first down or two before they give the ball back. This will help mitigate the time of possession problems the no-huddle causes.

Also, if you look back to the 90s Bills teams (mid-90s actually) you see tha tthe no huddle stopped working so well because we kept going three and out, which wore down the defense and put the opposing offense on the field all the time.

He was throwing strikes until he threw that interception. He missed the mark by a mile which tells me that he was either impeded in his throwing motion on his attempt or that there was a miscommunication between him and Evans, I happen to believe it was the latter. Either way, he threw the interception and that is unacceptable if he continued to do that on a consistant basis.

I don't believe that will be a problem with him, it definitely hasn't been in the past, and I would expect that he will only improve in that area, but as you mentioned earlier, other than him being prone to injury, his confidence is what I hope that stays intact. If he doesn't get injured and he plays with confidence, I believe we will see a pro bowl level QB in Edwards.

OK......not sure what game you were watching, but this just shows you don't know what you are looking at when it comes to offensive line play.

Was Wood perfect? No, but he dominated at times and showed that he will be special. Levitre, while he had a couple decent blocks, got blown up a few times and missed a couple of assignments.

Really? How many times have you watched the game? I can guarantee it isn't more than I. I watched each play of both of them multiple times. I even counted their mistakes, as I mentioned prior.

My guess is that you have no actual basis for making a comment like, "Levitre got blown up a few times and missed a couple of assignments." How much is a couple? How much is a few? Let me guess, you watched the game the first time and that's it, right? You saw the one play where Levitre got his ass handed to him, and that serves as your evidence that he "got blown up a few times" and "missed a couple of assignments." My guess is that you just watched the game, every once in a while glancing down to check out Wood or Levitre, but only really noticing them when they got pushed back into the backfield, obstructing your view of the play.

Don't criticize someone else when they've done more research than you and have determined actual facts. Wood missed more assignments than Levitre, and that is a fact. If you don't believe me, go back and watch, and count.

Next time you try arguing, you should probably try watching a bit more first.

Ans,

I dont understand the "Wood played worse then Levitre" arguement......

You could say that he missed more assignments technical wise but on the ones Wood was on he dominated completely......simply a monster.

I am not going to bag on Levitree for the one bad play......but there was a Wood play in particular where he took out two guys by himself.....delivered what looked to be a forearm shiver to one guy....then turned another guy completely out of the hole which the RB ran through......

He is simply a stud.

Wood played worse IMO because he seemed to not know what he was doing at all times, mentally. There were times where he didn't know who to block, or got beaten outright. As I said in another post, the guy that knows exactly what he's doing but needs to add more strength in the weight room is a more NFL ready player than the guy who is mauling someone on one play and allowing his man into the backfield on the next because he's blocking the wrong player.

I'm not intending to bash Wood, or to say that he's not ready, or to say that he won't be good. I love what I've seen from Eric Wood thus far, and he's got me really excited. I just couldn't stand to read the comments from people saying that Wood looked "amazing" while Levitre got "abused." It is ridiculous. Those comments are coming from people who don't know what they're talking about, and don't know what they're looking for. They didn't watch nearly enough to make a statement like that, and they probably only say that because they saw Levitre look like a school boy on that one play.

Both Wood and Levitre are great prospects, but they both had their share of difficulties last night. It annoys me when people annoint Levitre as getting "abused" for a game just because they saw one bad play, while not noticing the other bad and good plays.

i can watch the game 100 times, it doesnt make me any more qualified at knowing exactly what Levitre or any player screwed up on. we're not Bills coaches and we dont have their playbook.

what it comes down to is simple:

the 2 rookie interior linemen that we have starting for us played about as well as anyone could have expected in their first look at pro action. not better, not much worse. but it definitely shows promise.

i understand that that statement doesnt leave a lot for you guys to spend all day arguing over, so you can go back to your over-analysis anytime you want....

Both Wood and Levitre are great prospects, but they both had their share of difficulties last night. It annoys me when people annoint Levitre as getting "abused" for a game just because they saw one bad play, while not noticing the other bad and good plays.

So let me get this straight; you are going to get annoyed by opinions of other people regarding their home team?

If that's the case, I suggest a breather, something to inhale or a nice stiff drink, because it's going to be a long season.

One play that happened on...one of out how many screens? He wastes way too much time trying to make a huge play everytime and more often than not gets stuck with a yard or 2. He dances way too much and when he's isolated he doesn't go anywhere. I'm sorry the guy is not the weapon everyone thinks he is on offense. If the only pass you can catch is a screen what do you think defenders are going to cover him for?

Fitzpatricks passes on the screens were terrible. WAY behind him, which loses the half second a WR needs to face the DB and make his move. I thought Roscoe did well with those brutal passes. I thought Fitz looked really bad last night.

So let me get this straight; you are going to get annoyed by opinions of other people regarding their home team?

Are you serious? If you really don't understand what I'm annoyed about after all that I've posted, and actually believe that the conclusion you'e just drawn is legitimately connected to my statements, then I feel sorry for the friends and family that have to deal with you on a regular consistent basis. May God be with you. I'll pray for them.

Lets give Levitre a few more pre-season games to get comfortable out there. He is in a new position, on a new unit, in a new league and he was going up against one of the best front sevens in the league. Now before someone says Eric Wood is all those things and he did well I will say that is the reason he was drafted in the first round while Levitre was in the lower middle of the second.

Give Levitre a few weeks to gather himself and he will show than wither or not he is ready to start or not. I think writing him off based on one game (Not saying anyone is doing that but the negativity on him is implying that somewhat) give him time get comfortable. Levitre to me if he stays lower and works on his technique will develop into a nice guard and be respectable come game day.

Are you serious? If you really don't understand what I'm annoyed about after all that I've posted, and actually believe that the conclusion you'e just drawn is legitimately connected to my statements, then I feel sorry for the friends and family that have to deal with you on a regular consistent basis. May God be with you. I'll pray for them.

You are annoyed that people are making in your view misinformed judgements about Levitre and Woods. Not to difficult to understand.

Listen, while you're at it, you know the praying thing, why don't you confess to the big guy that you're a jackass and that you are willing to do anything, even utter an incantation to absolve you of your jackassery.

You are annoyed that people are making in your view misinformed judgements about Levitre and Woods. Not to difficult to understand.

Quiet, you. His opinions are facts. Everyone else is just misinformed or stupid.

See, this is what I don't understand about Juaron, why I think he's a horrible coach. Your offense last year sucked horribly and was going 3 and out and you were getting killed in time of possession and your defense was really tired. So his conclusion is "Hmmm why don't we implement the hurry up offense so we can get off the field even faster!". You guys don't have the talent to do it I don't understand why you aren't trying to play smash mouth football with marshawn and jackson, or play a spread and give them some draws, screens and what have you, and have Evans and TO stretch the field while giving it to reed and Roscoe underneath. The hurry up is just a horrible idea for your offense right now. Thats just my two sense. They should just use it situationally, not just use it for the sake of using it.