John Hughes dead at 59

bills44

I agree....still stands the test of time, and probably backwards compatible as well....kids will be kids and there really isn't much difference in their issues or problems across generational lines

Dear Mr. Vernon, we accept the fact that we had to sacrifice a whole Saturday in detention for whatever it was we did wrong. But we think you're crazy to make an essay telling you who we think we are. You see us as you want to see us... In the simplest terms, in the most convenient definitions. But what we found out is that each one of us is a brain...

...and an athlete...

...and a basket case...

...a princess...

...and a criminal...

Does that answer your question?... Sincerely yours, the Breakfast Club.

:w00t:

Breakfast Club should be required viewing for every teenager entering high school.

RIP. :worthy:

He made a lot of nice movies that lots of people remember fondly. I looked up his works - so many of them...Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Sixteen Candles, Home Alone, Pretty in Pink, Planes, Trains & Automobiles, Uncle Buck have worn well through the years.

He was walking on the street somewhere in Manhattan and suffered a heart attack, if that wasn't mentioned somewhere else in this thread.

Breakfast Club should be required viewing for every teenager entering high school.

:worthy: Ain't that the truth. Sure it was Hollywood but there was so much truth in that movie. I'm really sad Hughes is dead. Watched the last half of "Ferris Buellers Day Off" yesterday with the boy when I got home. Loved the scene with Charlie Sheen at the police station and the end with Bueller trying to beat the parents home.

What a bummer. Many great films left behind. :worthy:

I didn't know he directed Planes, Trains and Automobiles. A great movie and Thanksgiving Day classic! :worthy:

It sure is. There must be ten scenes at least, that were belly laughers, intertwined with the tender, introspective scenes.

Looking back, I remember his films being nicely paced with scenes well framed and properly lit for the mood. That's good direction...

We were, and this is true, watching Uncle Buck on DVD when we heard that John Hughes had died.

RIP to a man who chronicled my generation in high school, and who made the Chicago suburbs recognizable to the movie going public for a decade.

• 4 months later...

If you get the Encore movie channel, they have a documentary, Don't You Forget About Me that started airing tonight.

Starring: Ally Sheedy, Judd Nelson, Mia Sara

Show Full List

Directed By: Matt Austin

Genre: Documentary

Synopsis: A documentary crew searches for John Hughes - the creator of Sixteen Candles, Ferris Bueller, The Breakfast Club and more - interviewing actors, critics and more who were touched by his films. With Roger Ebert, Andrew McCarthy, more. USA - 2009 - TVMA

Next listed airing on their schedule is Saturday at 3:00pm est