Cortland

Drove thru Cortland yesterday. They're taking this Jets thing quite seriously. The first thing one will notice, aside from plenty of fresh paved roads and the usual welfare fakers walking with limps and fat girls pushing strollers while smoking, is that they convinced the NYS DOT into hanging several JETS signs on the roads.

(On a tangent) I'm sure those siges cost we taxpayers $500 or so each to make and another $1,500 for some 8-9 unionized boys to hang 'em up... another $1,500 for the overpaid unionized to take 'em down.

But anyway, several businesses + restaurants have welcome JETS signs (even down south in Dryden). It appears to be bringing some commerce to this typical depressed area and there also appears to be enthusiastic acceptance to he color green at his juncture. Someone built a post a few months ago regarding this infringing on Bills territory. Several disagreed. Here's news for you- Infringment in progress. The Jets will be winning over fans in an area generally dominated by Royal Blue & Crimson Red. I don't like it. I think it might be a good idea for the Bills to continue the doppler effect marketing (regionalization), and transfer training camp to Syracuse.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drove thru Cortland yesterday. They're taking this Jets thing quite seriously. The first thing one will notice, aside from plenty of fresh paved roads and the usual welfare fakers walking with limps and fat girls pushing strollers while smoking, is that they convinced the NYS DOT into hanging several JETS signs on the roads.

(On a tangent) I'm sure those siges cost we taxpayers $500 or so each to make and another $1,500 for some 8-9 unionized boys to hang 'em up... another $1,500 for the overpaid unionized to take 'em down.

But anyway, several businesses + restaurants have welcome JETS signs (even down south in Dryden). It appears to be bringing some commerce to this typical depressed area and there also appears to be enthusiastic acceptance to he color green at his juncture. Someone built a post a few months ago regarding this infringing on Bills territory. Several disagreed. Here's news for you- Infringment in progress. The Jets will be winning over fans in an area generally dominated by Royal Blue & Crimson Red. I don't like it. I think it might be a good idea for the Bills to continue the doppler effect marketing (regionalization), and transfer training camp to Syracuse.

Seeing as how last years game in Toronto was pretty much a home game for the Dolphins, maybe we should move training camp to Canada.

Heck, why don't they move camp to Erie, for that matter.

I can understand having camp within an hour - maybe two - of your home field, since you'll likely have many of your fans in that town, anyway. But having it halfway across the state (and NY isn't small) reeks of intent to infringe.

Heck, why don't they move camp to Erie, for that matter.

I can understand having camp within an hour - maybe two - of your home field, since you'll likely have many of your fans in that town, anyway. But having it halfway across the state (and NY isn't small) reeks of intent to infringe.

Agreed. I would be surprised if Mr. Wilson and company did log some kind of complaint. The NFL shouldn't allow it, plain and simple.

i don't think the Bills really care about fans in CNY, the population is declining rapidly and there is no industry for corporate sponsors. the jets wanted to go to cortland because they wanted to go some place "secluded." the bills will continue to market itself to the expanding and successful southern ontario region not the depressing central new york area.

We have probably the best training camp facilities in the league, in a great town, that provides a fan friendly environment.

As long as the Bills are strong in Buffalo and Rochester I could careless about the rest of the state.

i don't think the Bills really care about fans in CNY, the population is declining rapidly and there is no industry for corporate sponsors. the jets wanted to go to cortland because they wanted to go some place "secluded." the bills will continue to market itself to the expanding and successful southern ontario region not the depressing central new york area.

You must drink Utica Club.

(It is) Keeping the Central NY region, Thruway Corridor and Southern tier inhabitants interested in the Bills that will anchor the team in Buffalo. The more the franchise probes outaward towards Toronto, the more we risk loosing it (the team). There's half-a-million people in the greater Syracuse area. You don't think mgt. cares...? ...get real dude.

Try drinking the Saranac instead and perhps it'll promote clearer thinking.

Does anyone know what the corwds have been like at Jets camp?

PTR

This article from the Cortland Standard alludes to less than expected attendance. They have not used a secondary parking lot on campus yet and a shuttle bus was cancelled after 3 days when not one single person used it. The main lot holds 800-900 cars. Here is the article:

August 4, 2009

Jets camp shuttle bus canceled after no one uses it in first days

By HOLDEN B. SLATTERY

Staff Reporter

hslattery@cortlandstandard.net

CORTLAND — Cortland Transit has stopped sending buses to take Jets fans from SUNY Cortland’s stadium to downtown Cortland and South Cortland.

The free shuttle service has not picked up any passengers from the camp in three days since the route began on Friday.

Cortland Transit still plans to send buses to the county’s overflow parking lot at the former Smith Corona parking lot on Route 13 in South Cortland if the lot is used, said County Administrator Scott Schrader.

When the 800 to 900 spots at SUNY Cortland fill up, vehicles will be directed to the Smith Corona lot, which has not been used yet. The college has a secondary parking lot that has not been used either, Pete Koryzno, spokesman for the college, said Monday.

This parking lot at the college would be filled before visitors would be directed to the county’s overflow lot, Schrader said.

The Cortland Transit could be used during the Jets’ scrimmage on Thursday night. Some people are expecting fan attendance to be higher than usual during the scrimmage, when the Jets players will form two teams and play against each other.

The Cortland County Legislature allocated $31,000 in contingency funds to provide the shuttle service during the training camp. The amount comprises the bulk of $45,000 which the committee allocated July 23 to provide services for training camp visitors.

The money also covers the cost of leasing the overflow parking lot, the installation of portable toilets, trash bins and traffic signs.

The shuttle service was intended to take out-of-town visitors to local shops and eateries and to the overflow parking lot.

So far, the shuttle service has cost the county about $500, Schrader said.

The county agreed to pay Cortland Transit $68 per hour for its services, Schrader said.

Schrader said he thinks the shuttle service was not used because parking has not been a problem on SUNY Cortland’s campus or downtown.

He said the Legislature planned for a situation in which the college would have more vehicles than it could handle.

The county has also paid about $500 for two portable toilets and one trash bin, which are now in the former Smith Corona parking lot.

Schrader said the trash bin and portable toilets were put in the overflow parking lot because they had to be ordered in advance and it would be impossible to put them in the parking lot if it were already full.

“This whole event is a learning process for us,” Schrader said.

One bus went between the stadium area and downtown Cortland, and another went between the stadium area and Walmart, which is across Route 13 from the overflow parking lot at the former Smith Corona building. Smith Corona, a former typewriter factory, closed in the early 1990s, but the building is still commonly referred to by the former factory’s name.

Cortland Transit sent buses Friday, Saturday and Sunday, but did not transport a single person, said Paul Dougher, general manager of Cortland Transit.

“As soon as it was obvious that we were not going to have any passengers, we pulled the plug,” Dougher said.

Cortland Transit operated two buses for an hour and a half on Friday, two buses for two hours on Saturday and two buses for two hours on Sunday, Dougher said.

Legislator Kathie Wilcox, (R-5th Ward), said the committee decided to operate the buses based on estimates of training camp attendance at other camps, which suggested that more than 1,000 people would attend the training camp per day, and the overflow lot would need to be used. The committee also expected visitors to stay in hotels, leave their cars in the hotels and use the shuttle service, Wilcox said.

Wilcox said she is not sure why there are trash bins and portable toilets in the overflow parking lot even though it has not been used.

“I’m questioning that myself because nothing was supposed to happen unless it was necessary,” Wilcox said.

As for this whole infringement thing, I have spent a lot of time in Cortland over the years as my wife's family lives there and this is by no means Bills country. There are some Bills fans to be sure, but probably equal or greater number of Giants and Jets fans. Honestly, I really doubt the presence of a training camp will make a die hard fan of another team switch sides.

I'm heading up to the Ithaca for the weekend with the family and will actually be staying near the SUNY Cortland campus (damn NASCAR fans filled up all the hotel rooms in Ithaca!). We're going to hit the early practice on Sunday, so I'll provide a first-hand report later that day.

Just for the record... the fresh paved roads had been in the works for the past three years and won't be completed til Nov. Then there is a phase two with the Super Walmart/Lowes swaperoo that will complete next year. So, The road construction had nothing to do with the Jets coming to town. Signs were done out of the county budget. I don't know who actull sunk the signs, but they sure ain't as robust as a normal DOT sign. In fact, a few of them have been stolen. They are basically a printed polyethylen sheet affixed and covering a a road sign. Suny Cortland has put up a lot of the coin because the Jets are paying them for the use of the facilities. County allocated $45K to fund different things including shuttle service. So, not much taxpayer money thrown at this. A lot of folks have also volunteered. Suprisingly, I haven't seen much of a difference in traffic. They have only been drawing about 200-600 a practice so far. In fact, they've cancelled the shuttle service because the on campus parking has been sufficient and there was no need to use the South Cortland parking lot even though the county has leased it for the time the Jets are here.

There was an incident over the weekend in which a Bills fan, adorned in full Bills attire and a box of TO cereal, got in line to get autographs from a few of the players. The players wouldn't give him autographs, and one of the players point blank told him that it was disrespectful to the Jets players for him to show up in Bills attire. The newspaper had stated a few times that if you expect an autograph, the first thing is you better be wearing Jets attire.

There was an incident over the weekend in which a Bills fan, adorned in full Bills attire and a box of TO cereal, got in line to get autographs from a few of the players. The players wouldn't give him autographs, and one of the players point blank told him that it was disrespectful to the Jets players for him to show up in Bills attire. The newspaper had stated a few times that if you expect an autograph, the first thing is you better be wearing Jets attire.

hopefully more people do this! f*ck the jets

This article from the Cortland Standard alludes to less than expected attendance. They have not used a secondary parking lot on campus yet and a shuttle bus was cancelled after 3 days when not one single person used it. The main lot holds 800-900 cars. Here is the article:

As for this whole infringement thing, I have spent a lot of time in Cortland over the years as my wife's family lives there and this is by no means Bills country. There are some Bills fans to be sure, but probably equal or greater number of Giants and Jets fans. Honestly, I really doubt the presence of a training camp will make a die hard fan of another team switch sides.

I used to live in Ithaca and agree with this. The local media never treated the Bills or anything Buffalo like it was "theirs". For example, if you watch TV sports on Sunday night, or read a paper on Monday morning, the Bills generally wouldn't get any more coverage than any other team.

The NFL going out of it's way to extend the blackout zone to include Syracuse probably didn't exactly help win over any fans, either.