Fowler signs with Cardinals - not that it matters

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/...ardson0805.html

Cardinals make 3 roster moves

6 comments by Kent Somers - Aug. 4, 2009 11:34 AM

The Arizona Republic

FLAGSTAFF - The Cardinals made three roster moves Tuesday morning, including signing veteran center Melvin Fowler, who spent the last three seasons with Buffalo.

The team released center Donovan Raiola and placed fullback Justin Green on injured reserve. Green suffered a knee injury early in camp.

Fowler played 14 games for the Bills last year, including five starts. He started all 16 games for Buffalo in 2006 and 2007.

Fowler was drafted by Cleveland in the third round in 2002 and played three seasons with the Browns before being traded to the Vikings in 2005. In seven seasons, Fowler has played in 86 games with 60 starts.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/...ardson0805.html

Cardinals make 3 roster moves

6 comments by Kent Somers - Aug. 4, 2009 11:34 AM

The Arizona Republic

FLAGSTAFF - The Cardinals made three roster moves Tuesday morning, including signing veteran center Melvin Fowler, who spent the last three seasons with Buffalo.

The team released center Donovan Raiola and placed fullback Justin Green on injured reserve. Green suffered a knee injury early in camp.

Fowler played 14 games for the Bills last year, including five starts. He started all 16 games for Buffalo in 2006 and 2007.

Fowler was drafted by Cleveland in the third round in 2002 and played three seasons with the Browns before being traded to the Vikings in 2005. In seven seasons, Fowler has played in 86 games with 60 starts.

Didn't realize that Fowler had so many starts under his belt. The guy was at times a average center but against better DT's especially 3-4 nose tackles he just got flat out dominated. Teams are always looking for offensive lineman with a lot of starts under their belt so I am actually surprised he didn't get a job earlier as a back up.

Don't get me wrong Fowler at best barely tolerable at times and was dreadful a lot of the time. But 60 starts and he isn't old so I thought a team would sign him on a one year deal as a back up. There aren't a lot of back ups who offer 60 starts. To be honest as a backup he serves a good purpose. A guy who if you had to start 1-3 games he would be able to hold down the fort much longer than that and he would get exposed.

Well, he can't be that good a backup. Last year when Butler was injured the Bills played Chambers at guard instead of Fowler, who was healthy. Considering that Chambers had no guard experience that I know of at that time, I'd say that confidence in Fowler as a backup was pretty much out the window.

Well, he can't be that good a backup. Last year when Butler was injured the Bills played Chambers at guard instead of Fowler, who was healthy. Considering that Chambers had no guard experience that I know of at that time, I'd say that confidence in Fowler as a backup was pretty much out the window.

I think people mean backup center who could play guard too. For most of the year, Fowler was the starting center. and when he didn't start, it was cause he was hurt

I think people mean backup center who could play guard too. For most of the year, Fowler was the starting center. and when he didn't start, it was cause he was hurt

Not that it matters, but Fowler lost his starting job to Duke Preston (what does that tell you!). Preston took over when Fowler got hurt and kept starting at C the rest of the season even when Fowler was healthy. In the second game against NE when Butler was hurt, I assumed that the Bills would play Fowler at C and Preston at G as they had done earlier in the year, but instead they kept Preston at C and started Chambers at G even though he had never played G before. That's when I knew that Fowler had fallen off the depth chart.