Re-Post Direct TV Subscribers - Easy Instructions on Discounting

5 months of premier & FREE NFL ticket for $59.99 a month:

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=92040

Gee, it's so great that SKOOBY was pointed in our direction. If you can do this deal that SKOOBY says he did, remember that you have to lock yourself into a 24 month agreement to do this.

Also, if a lot of you are like me, your price for your regular programming package has been frozen as long as you haven't changed it in a while. For instance, I still only pay $39.99 for DTV's second best programming package. I think it is now $60. If I change to this deal, I lose my old pricing, which is good until I change to a different package someday. PLUS, I get locked into a 24 month contract in which next year, you can't call and say you "wanna cancel" again, because you lock yourself in and have no choice but to stay.

So, next year, you'll be paying full price for the ticket, and for Superfan if you want HD.

Beware, locking yourself into a contract isn't the best way to go. ONce you are out of your contract with companies like DTV, Verizon cellphones etc, that's when you can make deals.

Notice the other "locked into their contract people who posted here".....they aren't quite getting the same deals as others. Do yourself a favor and don't lock into a contract. Or at least, I wouldn't.

My advice is don't do it. You will be at their mercy next year, making your savings null. You'll actually end up paying more. You'll also lose grandfathered pricing if you have that too.

NFL Sunday Ticket for $150 is a great deal. THink about it as being just a tad more expensive than renting one movie off of pay per view per month in HD.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gee, it's so great that SKOOBY was pointed in our direction. If you can do this deal that SKOOBY says he did, remember that you have to lock yourself into a 24 month agreement to do this.

Also, if a lot of you are like me, your price for your regular programming package has been frozen as long as you haven't changed it in a while. For instance, I still only pay $39.99 for DTV's second best programming package. I think it is now $60. If I change to this deal, I lose my old pricing, which is good until I change to a different package someday. PLUS, I get locked into a 24 month contract in which next year, you can't call and say you "wanna cancel" again, because you lock yourself in and have no choice but to stay.

So, next year, you'll be paying full price for the ticket, and for Superfan if you want HD.

Beware, locking yourself into a contract isn't the best way to go. ONce you are out of your contract with companies like DTV, Verizon cellphones etc, that's when you can make deals.

Notice the other "locked into their contract people who posted here".....they aren't quite getting the same deals as others. Do yourself a favor and don't lock into a contract. Or at least, I wouldn't.

My advice is don't do it. You will be at their mercy next year, making your savings null. You'll actually end up paying more. You'll also lose grandfathered pricing if you have that too.

NFL Sunday Ticket for $150 is a great deal. THink about it as being just a tad more expensive than renting one movie off of pay per view per month in HD.

Gee SKOOBY, who knows what they're talking about now? Oh, and I don't have Dish Network because I have bad credit, I have it because it's cheaper your cocky asshat.

I locked in nothing and that 24 month thing is for new customers only, so I have no idea of where you are coming up with the deal I got.

Gee SKOOBY, who knows what they're talking about now? Oh, and I don't have Dish Network because I have bad credit,

He is right, if you are a new customer (which I am not). This is not AT&T or the iphone deal where I am getting new equipment where they have to offset the expense of me buying a phone. The equipment stays the same and it doesn't cost DTV anything to modify my plan.

Long time reader, first time poster. Just did it and saved $20 a month. Didn't even have to haggle with them, offerred it up instantly.

Whoever started this thread is borderline genius

Gee SKOOBY, who knows what they're talking about now? Oh, and I don't have Dish Network because I have bad credit, I have it because it's cheaper your cocky asshat.

You can actually just go to DTV online and chat with one of their reps without calling. IF, they decide that they will give you the deal that SKOOBY is talking about, which he said they wouldn't do, you DO get locked in to the deal for two years. I should have copied and pasted the chat here.

At the same time though, SKOOBY's jock-sniffing toolness aside, you never know what deals you can make with them if you call. Although, I'm thinking you are locked in to 24 months, which is never a good thing. That's the only reason they would offer a deal like that.

You can actually just go to DTV online and chat with one of their reps without calling. IF, they decide that they will give you the deal that SKOOBY is talking about, which he said they wouldn't do, you DO get locked in to the deal for two years. I should have copied and pasted the chat here.

At the same time though, SKOOBY's jock-sniffing toolness aside, you never know what deals you can make with them if you call. Although, I'm thinking you are locked in to 24 months, which is never a good thing. That's the only reason they would offer a deal like that.

Nothing is locked in for me, nor was it brought up.

I decided this year to get NFLST ... I called last week and tried to get a deal and it didn't work so I declined their early bird offer.

I called back this week and politely told them I wanted to cancel and that the woman helping me last night wasn't very polite so I was going to cancel my service totally. They said we are sorry to hear that and I explained my displeasure with the expense of NFL Sunday tickets price plus the super fan.

She ended up charging me $44.99 for the package for 6 months, $16.99 for the Super Fan for 6 months and then crediting my account $20 a month for an entire year. With all of that being said I got the NFL Sunday ticket plus Super Fan for only $120.

I have only been a Directv customer for a year and a half so anyone should be able to strike this deal.

And to think, I thought I was supercool last week when I got the $20 deal. Thing is, I told the guy at the time that the Superfan was also too expensive, and he gave me one option, to remove it entirely or keep it for the $16.50 for six months. After reading this thread, I called DTV back and spoke with someone who told me that I, personally, am not eligible to receive the SF for ANY sort of discount, and when I asked why, he gave me the "it all depends on your history, packaging, etc." but wouldn't commit to actually telling me what PART of my history isn't up to snuff. I'm never late, this is already my second year of my two-year deal, yaddayadda, so it basically boils down to the fact that, instead of having Premier, I subscribe to the chincy Family Package for $29.99 a month. He wouldn't tell me outright that this was the reason, but that's why. So oh well, I won't get to see my Bills in HD every game....this year....muhuhuhahahahahahahaha :thumbsup:

And to think, I thought I was supercool last week when I got the $20 deal. Thing is, I told the guy at the time that the Superfan was also too expensive, and he gave me one option, to remove it entirely or keep it for the $16.50 for six months. After reading this thread, I called DTV back and spoke with someone who told me that I, personally, am not eligible to receive the SF for ANY sort of discount, and when I asked why, he gave me the "it all depends on your history, packaging, etc." but wouldn't commit to actually telling me what PART of my history isn't up to snuff. I'm never late, this is already my second year of my two-year deal, yaddayadda, so it basically boils down to the fact that, instead of having Premier, I subscribe to the chincy Family Package for $29.99 a month. He wouldn't tell me outright that this was the reason, but that's why. So oh well, I won't get to see my Bills in HD every game....this year....muhuhuhahahahahahahaha :thumbsup:

I bolded what is most likely wrong here. Your locked in to a two year deal. They don't seem to deal as much with the people who are locked in to deals. Although, $20 off for 6 months isn't too bad though. I have no idea why, it just seems that way. Although, I'm totalling guessing. We'd know for real next year when Skoob is locked in, but he would never admit he made a mistake and locked himself in to a two year deal anyway as I was told today online. So, we may never know.

I bolded what is most likely wrong here. Your locked in to a two year deal. They don't seem to deal as much with the people who are locked in to deals. Although, $20 off for 6 months isn't too bad though. I have no idea why, it just seems that way. Although, I'm totalling guessing. We'd know for real next year when Skoob is locked in, but he would never admit he made a mistake and locked himself in to a two year deal anyway as I was told today online. So, we may never know.

$20 off for 6 months is a good deal. I have never had to pay for SuperFan since they introduced that sham, but up until this year they usually just gave you the SuperFan package for free if you called, or $99. So $120 is still historically good, just this year probably because of the economy they are making even higher concessions than usual.

I recently did the DTVmove(as seen on tv) and had to lock into a new 2 yr plan to do it. This was a month and a half ago. I am not so sure that being in a contract with DTV hurts your negotiations as I have been in my NEW one for a very short time and got money off the ST and SF for free for the second year.

Having the contract does not mean that you have to carry alot of extras along with it. You could just have the base package and thats it. Having more than that will still give you some leverage as a DTV customer and you can still make deals.

I called and tried this, the first lady i spoke said i was S.O.L, but then i asked to talked to the retention dept. there they would only give me and extra 60 bucks off of my renewal rate, and 50% off the superfan. Although this saved me $110.00 bucks , i was not able to get the deal that was posted, maybe they are getting wise to this? but i still saved money!!!!

Let me get this straight. Everyone with the same set up on DTV pays a different price? You have to negotiate a price with customer service? That sounds like lots of fun over the phone..........not!

:thumbsup:

Let me get this straight. Everyone with the same set up on DTV pays a different price? You have to negotiate a price with customer service? That sounds like lots of fun over the phone..........not!

Sadly, you've got it straight.. :rolleyes:

This is correct. It's actually unreal. You would think they would be opening themselves up to a lawsuit of some kind. And the poor souls who don't know you can do this will pay upwards of about $400 for Sunday Ticket.

One aside to all of this if people are still reading this far......has anyone tried anything with the college football package yet? I'm stuck in VA watching the dumbass ACC (which is the most overrated college conference ever), so I have to buy the package to see all the big games. Well, either that or I get North Carolina vs. Virginia or some other crap.

Anyway, has anyone tried to re-negotiate their college football package?

This is correct. It's actually unreal. You would think they would be opening themselves up to a lawsuit of some kind. And the poor souls who don't know you can do this will pay upwards of about $400 for Sunday Ticket.

It's no different than the guy who pays full price at a store and fails to use coupons or acknowledge other specials that could reduce his cost. Caveat emptor. Outside of Syms clothing store, an educated consumer is generally most retailers worst customer.

The price of the NFL Sunday Ticket and Superfan haven't changed and is exactly the same for anyone. The price is dictated by the NFL, and you'd better believe they receive the full price from Directv. The NFL isn't about to "give it away" for $150/year.

Directv has opted to give some customers discounts on their regular monthly subscriptions (of non-NFL stuff) - of which each contract/agreement is very different, depending on the deal previously made between customer and DTV. You see this on your bill in form of a credit. They don't itemize Sunday Ticket at $150.

Directv has likely already accounted for the potential numerous discounts and costs are built in to everything else, but it's to their advantage to accomodate subscribers because they can use it as a negotiating tool to get longer commitments from their customers.

It's actually a fairly clever marketing tool that a lot of subscription type companies, who want to insure long-term revenue streams, now use.

I'm happy, they're happy, win-win.

Hello all ... and more of just an FYI for those of you that do not have Direct TV that may be reading this.

I signed up for Direct TV yesterday (F YOU TIME WARNER sorry :thumbsup: ) and the current deal is get 5 months of Premier package for free for when you order the NFL ticket for 59.99 a month. So for 59.99 I am getting all of the channels and the Sunday ticket. After the 5 months you can downgrade your service to lower your bill (He said it would not extend the contract) but that would be after the season (well the Bills season anyway). Add the refer a friend and it takes another 100 off 10 a month. Go paperless 20 bucks off one time.

They also have unadvertised bundles with Windstream that will take another 15 off your bill if you have windstream with DSL (bye bye Road runner).

My cable bill went from 127 to 204 in one month. I called three different people to try and work out a new package and not a single one of them did anything more than drop it 10 dollars. I am happy to be joining the Direct TV family mostly so I can finally watch the NFL network..

Hello all ... and more of just an FYI for those of you that do not have Direct TV that may be reading this.

I signed up for Direct TV yesterday (F YOU TIME WARNER sorry :lol: ) and the current deal is get 5 months of Premier package for free for when you order the NFL ticket for 59.99 a month. So for 59.99 I am getting all of the channels and the Sunday ticket. After the 5 months you can downgrade your service to lower your bill (He said it would not extend the contract) but that would be after the season (well the Bills season anyway). Add the refer a friend and it takes another 100 off 10 a month. Go paperless 20 bucks off one time.

They also have unadvertised bundles with Windstream that will take another 15 off your bill if you have windstream with DSL (bye bye Road runner).

My cable bill went from 127 to 204 in one month. I called three different people to try and work out a new package and not a single one of them did anything more than drop it 10 dollars. I am happy to be joining the Direct TV family mostly so I can finally watch the NFL network..

Keep me posted on how your service is.

Thanks

The only package I have with DirecTv is NFL Sunday Ticket. It's all I've had for about 10 years - I was "grandfathered in". also have cable for my other shows. I almost went ALL DirecTV because my kid spilled juice on my receiver and fried it. Then I received a "FREE DIRECTV RECEIVER FROM DIRECTV" because the receiver I had on their file would not receive the signal starting this year - don't know why. I thought for sure I wouldn't get the receiver when I called because I don't have a package, but they sent it to me and sent it next day air.

So, now I have a new receiver from them, and I just received my first Ticket bill. Do I risk telling them I may cancel, because if I cancel, and want it back, I will definitely need to get a package?

Well I finally did it!!!I got by 20 dollars off so now I am paying 24.95 a month for sunday ticket. And because DirectTV was screwing and charging 5 bucks for a receiver I dont have they gave me Superfan for free.

:lol:

You know what else is crazy? Everyone on an airplane has paid a different price! And did you know people pay different amounts for the same hotel room too?!?!? :thumbsup:

Just call, say "cancel sunday ticket" to the menu prompt, and tell the retention person you'd like to get $20 off/month for 6 months and free Superfan. I finally got around to doing it last night, and the guy said, "No problem, I can do that." 10 minutes later, done.

Just got off the phone with DTV -- $10 off per month plus free SuperFan. No sour grapes that I didn't get the $20 deal, because free money is free money.

I'm calling the Nobel Prize committee to see if I can nominate this post for one of their categories. Not sure which one it will qualify for, but there's gotta be a way!

Thanks!!! :lol:

The only package I have with DirecTv is NFL Sunday Ticket. It's all I've had for about 10 years - I was "grandfathered in". also have cable for my other shows. I almost went ALL DirecTV because my kid spilled juice on my receiver and fried it. Then I received a "FREE DIRECTV RECEIVER FROM DIRECTV" because the receiver I had on their file would not receive the signal starting this year - don't know why. I thought for sure I wouldn't get the receiver when I called because I don't have a package, but they sent it to me and sent it next day air.

So, now I have a new receiver from them, and I just received my first Ticket bill. Do I risk telling them I may cancel, because if I cancel, and want it back, I will definitely need to get a package?

PIZ................like I said earlier, my friend down here in VA has the same thing as you. He called and complained about the deal over and over, to get this deal that alot of us have gotten. Every time he calls, they insist that he must get off of the stand alone package like you have, but he always bickers until they just let him stay. He goes through hell every year, but he still has the stand alone package.

Don't know how it'll work out for you, but he hasn't gotten off of his stand alone package, but everytime he calls to get something new or free or installed, he goes through hell.

Hope that helps.

I just got off the phone with them also and I got the new customer deal as an eight year veteran. 59.99 for the premeire package which includes everything including the all important Sunday Ticket and Superfan. 5 months of service and football. I do have to pay extra for the monthly HD service But I am okay with that.

Just got off the phone with DTV -- $10 off per month plus free SuperFan. No sour grapes that I didn't get the $20 deal, because free money is free money.

I'm calling the Nobel Prize committee to see if I can nominate this post for one of their categories. Not sure which one it will qualify for, but there's gotta be a way!

Thanks!!! :lol:

Thanks Lv-Bills! I just called, the first customer service person you talk to states that there's nothing you can do, this is already the lowest price, etc. When I asked to cancel the Sunday Ticket, she said that it can't be canceled, but she transferred me to the retention dept. Once there, the rep quickly offered $20 a month off of Sunday Ticket. When I balked about the price of Superfan, and how I'm essentially paying a second time to get HD channels, she gave me Superfan for free. Total cost for the season for Sunday Ticket and Superfan was $370, now $150.

Got offered the $10. off for 6 months deal.....they wanted to give me Superfan for 50% off but I really didn't want it anyway so I said no to that......

I think they might be catching on to what people are doing....I am the type that shoudl have got the best possible deal as I am not under contract have had NFL sunday ticket since practically its start......and am a customer in good standing.

but hey....60 bucks is 60 bucks

Thanks Lv-Bills! I just called, the first customer service person you talk to states that there's nothing you can do, this is already the lowest price, etc. When I asked to cancel the Sunday Ticket, she said that it can't be canceled, but she transferred me to the retention dept. Once there, the rep quickly offered $20 a month off of Sunday Ticket. When I balked about the price of Superfan, and how I'm essentially paying a second time to get HD channels, she gave me Superfan for free. Total cost for the season for Sunday Ticket and Superfan was $370, now $150.

Oh yeah, I got them to raise the price a hundred bucks, they even said they would open up extra bandwith to my dish on Sundays.

:lol:

It really was the dude in Michigan who passed this on first. I just wanted to confirm it, and take it one further. I didn't know you could do this either. I'm glad it's helped a bunch of us here.

FINALLY, I feel like I'm actually paying something that is fair for what the service actually is.

Keep me posted on how your service is.

Thanks

Frez,

Bad .... no HBO or Cinemax on demand. I was not told this but when I asked they listed showtime and starz so I assumed something that I should not have. Should they mention that? I think so but I understand them not being so forthcoming. For one of my other tv's they sent me a HD box instead of a SD DVR and if I wanted to change it right then the entire order would have to been canceled and rescheduled. This is me being picky but no back light on the remote seems foolish. Again me being picky but I had not idea how much I used the clock on the cable box there is not a clock on the hd dvr box and it has caused some wondering what time it is. Again, picky but a real world problem as minor as it is. No exercise tv on demand either ...that sucks

Good

free nfl ticket and TONS and I mean TONS of HD channels. I do not know what provider you have now but Time warner did not carry the nfl network and let me just say this as a bills/football fan I had no idea what I was missing. The HD DVR has a media extender in it so you can stream your computer video's music and pictures right from you computer to your tv. It is not perfect but I had no idea that it was available it connected immediately and had already impressed the wife as it is much easier than the xbox 360 to do the same thing. There is an action function that puts up the local weather and some other crap.. There is a app store function that shows scores of games as well as does some other things but I have not explored it much. Perhaps a member here could explain them to the both of us? There are many more channels that have on demand service than time warner i.e. syfy, noggin and many many others. My reception is better on most channels but not all. The installer was great and did everything I asked. He mentioned this is a good time to order b/c at the middle of Aug they get killed with calls as the football season is about to start. My order from call to install was less than 2 days. If you do order they have a refer a friend that will give you an additional 100 off your bill. I would be happy to submit my account number to you to give you and me the discount. (selfless promotion)

I am sure there are other headaches and benefits that I am not aware of. I happy to have order the service and can't believe I waited as long as I did.

If anyone could answer about a backlit remote(if there is one), what the apps and action functions do that would be great.

Got offered the $10. off for 6 months deal.....they wanted to give me Superfan for 50% off but I really didn't want it anyway so I said no to that......

I think they might be catching on to what people are doing....I am the type that shoudl have got the best possible deal as I am not under contract have had NFL sunday ticket since practically its start......and am a customer in good standing.

but hey....60 bucks is 60 bucks

That's what they offered -- but did you ask for more?

You can probably call back and ask for $20/month for 6 months and free Superfan and they'll most likely give it to you.

If anyone could answer about a backlit remote(if there is one), what the apps and action functions do that would be great.

You'd be better off getting a universal remote. Nobody should ever judge a piece of CE by the remote as that can be easily changed. The only backlit remotes I have in my entire house are my HD DVD remote, and Denon 3808ci remote, and my two Home Theater Master remotes (MX500 and MX700).

I haven't really messed with any of the weather/scores stuff yet myself. I know if you're on a sports channel, you can press the RED button on the remote and it will bring up team standings, scores, stats, etc. I'd rather use the web, but it's there for those who want it.

If you think it's cool that you can listen to music from your PC on your HD DVR, then you'll really like this:

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/conte...ssetId=P4920044

You can install an application on your PC and watch recorded shows from your DVR! It's still in beta, but I've used it a few times and it works well if you have the hardware for it.

:blink::angry::thumbsup: Holy Sh*t! Best thread ever. Just called Directv and it's still going! Used the "cancel Sunday ticket" line at the menu prompt. When I got connected I explained I'm getting married in 2 months (which I am) and that my future wife wasn't thrilled about all the $ I was spending on my sports packages. I could barely get the words out before he started his "we appreciate you as a customer" stuff and immediately knocked me down to the $24.99 a month for the ticket. Also, 1st Superfan payment had posted already but he knocked off all the rest of them. Basically got the ticket and Superfan for $166.44!!!!

Seriously this is the easiest $ I have ever saved. They're obviously wise to whats up as this guy seemed to be frothing at the mouth to give me the discount and he seemed to be following a rehearsed skit. I have the HD & DVR plan, have 3 recievers and subscribe to NFL and NHL tickets so that may affect how much they discount you but I'm sure anyone who makes the call will get something off regardless of your plan. Thanks again to those who brought this up! :unsure:

All,

If you call DTV now, whether you are already a customer or not, you can get big time savings on the NFL DTV package for the upcoming year.

Bascially, call and tell them you would like to cancel your DTV Sunday Ticket because the price is too high. They will almost immediately, without hassle, discount the package $20 per month for six months. This means that you are getting the NFL package for $150 instead of $270.

Now, comes the Superfan ripoff that DTV tries to force on you. I went crazy talking to the representative, only because she lied to me on why they charge you for the Superfan. The Superfan is the garbage add-on that justifies them to double charge you for HD broadcasts. If you have a HD TV, you are already paying DTV $10 a month to get the HD signals, so really, there shouldn't be a need to pay them the Superfan fee again if you would like your broadcasts in HD. They also know that almost nobody would get the Superfan add on without holding you hostage to get your HD channels through Superfan. If you call DTV and tell them that it's bogus that you are paying the $10 a month HD fee already, and that should include your football channels with the package in HD, they will give you Superfan for free too. A $100 value, even though it's a garbage charge anyway.

So in all, if you play your cards right......you will get the NFL Sunday Ticket, in HD, with Superfan, for $150 TOTAL. That's a savings from the $370 it would cost you if you did nothing.

Hopefully this post being first in the thread will ease your fears and let you know that you can get BOTH the Sunday Ticket AND Superfan, all in HD, for $150 total, which is a good deal!

Good Luck and Enjoy!

THANKS LV!!! I live in Az, have both the NFL and NHL package for the Bills/Sabres.

My bill this time of year gets to be HUGE> I told them I wanted to cancel, was transferred to another

person who ultimately saved me $65 month PLUS, I got Premium package on shows

for 5 mos, which I did NOT have previously! Huge savings, plus more channels!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!