Harvard Scholar Arrested for Being Black

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, thats right. Gates was just sitting home sipping a brandy and the cops busted down his door and began an interrogation.

Go back into your hole.

Actually he was too busy being the first burglar in the history of burgledom to enter his target through its front door in broad daylight, while wearing an ugly striped shirt tucked into dressed pants, who rather than pillaging through the house began making phone calls and then upon his apprehension he was capable of providing a Massachusetts driver's license proving he did in fact live there. Great police work Officer Crowley!

Actually he was too busy being the first burglar in the history of burgledom to enter his target through its front door in broad daylight, while wearing an ugly striped shirt tucked into dressed pants, who rather than pillaging through the house began making phone calls and then upon his apprehension he was capable of providing a Massachusetts driver's license proving he did in fact live there. Great police work Officer Crowley!

He wasn't arrested for burglary.

I can tell you this right now, your conversation with Lieutenant, won't include a logical thought that includes objective reasoning.

Yeah, I don't know why I posted that. Clearly it's going nowhere.

I think he acted like a douchebag because either 1) he was having a bad day, or 2) he's actually a douchebag. I'm generous enough to want to believe (1), but given that he's a Harvard professor, I'd bet on (2).

I do not, however, think that douchebaggery correlates with skin color. To imply otherwise is racist.

Missing my point. I don't think it had to do with having a bad day, although it's possible. I entirely believe that he was pissed a cop was at his door saying he broke into his own house. Whatever the conversation was, and however much Gates was an arrogant prick, Gates thought it was offensive, and it was all because he thought it was racist. If he WASNT black, if Gates was a white guy, that thought wouldnt enter his mind. He's spent his career on this kind of stuff.

Henry Louis Gates Jr.: I’m outraged. I can’t believe that an individual policeman on the Cambridge police force would treat any African-American male this way, and I am astonished that this happened to me; and more importantly I’m astonished that it could happen to any citizen of the United States, no matter what their race. And I’m deeply resolved to do and say the right things so that this cannot happen again.

Of course, it will happen again, but … I want to do what I can so that every police officer will think twice before engaging in this kind of behavior.

TR: Can you describe, in your own words, what went on in and outside of your home? When did you suspect you were the victim of racial profiling?

HLG: I just finished making my new documentary series for PBS called “Faces of America.” It was a glorious week in Shanghai and Ningbo and Beijing, and on my trip, I took my daughter along. After we finished working in Ningbo we went to Beijing and had three glorious days as tourists. It was great fun.

We flew back on a direct flight from Beijing to Newark. We arrived on Wednesday, and on Thursday I flew back to Cambridge. I was using my regular driver and my regular car service. And went to my home arriving at about 12:30 in the afternoon. My driver and I carried several bags up to the porch, and we fiddled with the door and it was jammed. I thought, well, maybe the door’s latched. So I walked back to the kitchen porch, unlocked the door and came into the house. And I unlatched the door, but it was still jammed.

My driver is a large black man. But from afar you and I would not have seen he was black. He has black hair and was dressed in a two-piece black suit, and I was dressed in a navy blue blazer with gray trousers and, you know, my shoes. And I love that the 911 report said that two big black men were trying to break in with backpacks on. Now that is the worst racial profiling I’ve ever heard of in my life. (Laughs.) I’m not exactly a big black man. I thought that was hilarious when I found that out, which was yesterday.

It looked like someone’s footprint was there. So it’s possible that the door had been jimmied, that someone had tried to get in while I was in China. But for whatever reason, the lock was damaged. My driver hit the door with his shoulder and the door popped open. But the lock was permanently disfigured. My home is owned by Harvard University, and so any kind of repair work that’s needed, Harvard will come and do it. I called this person, and she was, in fact, on the line while all of this was going on.

Missing my point. I don't think it had to do with having a bad day, although it's possible. I entirely believe that he was pissed a cop was at his door saying he broke into his own house. Whatever the conversation was, and however much Gates was an arrogant prick, Gates thought it was offensive, and it was all because he thought it was racist. If he WASNT black, if Gates was a white guy, that thought wouldnt enter his mind. He's spent his career on this kind of stuff.

You know what will make everything better? We should let Gates murder a white guy and then set him free. It's the best way to teach whitey a lesson.

Already tried that and it didn't work. Back to the drawing board.

You just needed a bigger speaker to get your word out. Once everyone sees it as you see it, whitey will fall right into place.

Maybe we can get Garrett Morris to re-release his old SNL song..."Ooooh, I'm gonna get me a gun and kill all the whities I see."

Good point. If Gates wasn't intent on trying to inject race into a what-should-have-been harmless situation, there'd have been no problem. The problem lies with Gates, because he was basically looking for something to get riled up about.

And that highlights whats wrong with arrogant "anti-racist" douchebags like Gates. Instead of taking an action at face value, they try their damnedest to inject race or "racism" into situations where there isn't any. He's supposed to be an advocate against racism, yet here he is causing the problems.

You just needed a bigger speaker to get your word out. Once everyone sees it as you see it, whitey will fall right into place.

Maybe we can get Garrett Morris to re-release his old SNL song..."Ooooh, I'm gonna get me a gun and kill all the whities I see."

:devil: Great song!

Always reminds me of the Chris Rock bit that he used to do before Obama came on the scene about the fact that there will be a Black President before there will be a Black Vice President because all the blacks guys will be lining up to see who gets to kill the President first. :o Then he says, Hell, I'LL kill him!"

That's just good stuff. :blink:

Good point. If Gates wasn't intent on trying to inject race into a what-should-have-been harmless situation, there'd have been no problem. The problem lies with Gates, because he was basically looking for something to get riled up about.

And that highlights whats wrong with arrogant "anti-racist" douchebags like Gates. Instead of taking an action at face value, they try their damnedest to inject race or "racism" into situations where there isn't any. He's supposed to be an advocate against racism, yet here he is causing the problems.

Bingo.

I could be wrong, but I think if two middle aged white guys with luggage, in business suits, one of whom had a cane, were bashing inside that house, the woman probably wouldn't have called the cops. It's hard to say what she actually saw (there is no way she saw the whole thing) but I think she probably called the cops because they were black. I'd bet anything that's what Gates truly thought. It doesn't matter what is true or what isn't, it's what I mentioned earlier about how minorities interpret racial profiling differently than white people do.

I could be wrong, but I think if two middle aged white guys with luggage, in business suits, one of whom had a cane, were bashing inside that house, the woman probably wouldn't have called the cops. It's hard to say what she actually saw (there is no way she saw the whole thing) but I think she probably called the cops because they were black. I'd bet anything that's what Gates truly thought. It doesn't matter what is true or what isn't, it's what I mentioned earlier about how minorities interpret racial profiling differently than white people do.

Why do you keep coming up with these magical racist scenerios?

Peopel like this Gates see a Klansman behind every rock. They're no better than lunatic fringers in that regard.