What kind of dog should I get?

Stl Bills

German Shepherd or Golden Retriever? Hell, I might get one of each......I've been going back and forth for a few months now. I've had a lot of experience with both breeds but just can't make a decision.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kids? If yes go Golden.

Otherwise it's a toss-up.

No, but (I can't believe I'm going to say this) I could be about 3-4 years away from saying yes :nana: . Right now its just me and my girlfriend....we live together and both work full time but slightly different hours, and I live really close to work so I'm home for an hour each day. I have a big fenced in back yard too.

One vote for a mutt (preferably a rescue mutt). If you find a dog half as good as my Bille (see profile pic), your life will be much embiggened.

That's actually the route I'd probably go, there are both local German Shepherd and Golden Retriever Rescues in the area. Good looking pooch Gringo.

That's actually the route I'd probably go, there are both local German Shepherd and Golden Retriever Rescues in the area. Good looking pooch Gringo.

Thanks. I've never owned either of those two breeds, but I have friends who have. In my experience, you can't go wrong either way. Dogs are the best!

As Deerball stated, Golden Retrievers are the best family dogs. As far as protection it really doesn't matter. Most burglars will go on to another house that doesn't have a dog, mostly for the attention they attract by barking. I don't think a German Shepherd would rip a kid apart but they probably wouldn't be as forgiving with tail tugs and other things curious toddlers do to dogs. If you want two then get two Goldens. JMO

No, but (I can't believe I'm going to say this) I could be about 3-4 years away from saying yes :) . Right now its just me and my girlfriend....we live together and both work full time but slightly different hours, and I live really close to work so I'm home for an hour each day. I have a big fenced in back yard too.

Key here is the word GIRLFRIEND. Makes the choice easy. Chicks like to come up and pet Goldens in the park etc, while most are scared of German Shepards. Not saying you and the girl are going to hit splitsville, but may as well be prtected just in case :nana:

For basic companionship, I'd go GR.

For loyalty & protection, I'd go domestic GS.

For protection primarily, I'd go GS from Germany.

That being said, I would recommend you go to the local animal shelter and pay a visit. You just may find a dog that adopts you.

As Deerball stated, Golden Retrievers are the best family dogs. As far as protection it really doesn't matter. Most burglars will go on to another house that doesn't have a dog, mostly for the attention they attract by barking. I don't think a German Shepherd would rip a kid apart but they probably wouldn't be as forgiving with tail tugs and other things curious toddlers do to dogs. If you want two then get two Goldens. JMO

Why do people insist on giving opinions on things they have zero experience with? You don't "think"? Truer words have never been spoken.

To answer STL: The answer lies in what YOUR lifestyle is. You really need to figure it out for yourself. I don't recommend rescues or mutts to first time dog owners because most of the time you won't know what you're getting. As someone who has spent the last 18 years rescuing dogs, it is not something to be gotten into lightly. I will say that Organized rescue has gotten significantly better in the last decade and maybe your local will be able to get you the right dog.

If you're looking for a puppy, go to a reputable breeder of the dog type you like and explain what you are looking for. The AKC or the National Group of the breed can help you find one. A good breeder will ask you all the right questions (temperment/exercise/show vs pet vs athlete/etc) and match you up with a puppy that'll fit your lifestyle.

If they don't do that, go somewhere else.

Got my puppy Bentley two months ago from the Erie county SPCA.. Mastiff/Shepard mix... gonna be one big boy! But it is without a doubt the laziest/best dog i have ever owned.

Parents owned a Goldie when I was younger, it was a great dog.

One vote for a mutt (preferably a rescue mutt). If you find a dog half as good as my Bille (see profile pic), your life will be much embiggened.

I very much agree - right now shelters are generally in overflow mode. Sadly, due to the economy many people are having to give pets up because tey can't afford to keep them.

Good advice.

Kids have less of a chance of being abused by the family dog than by a relative (opinion based on observation and anecdotal evidence :rolleyes: ).

Also, as far as the girl friend remark, I know that was partly in jest, but remember a dog lives a long time. It is excellent to be considering 2, 4, and 10 years or more down the line. Some people thinks pets are things, and almost disposable. No, pets are not people, but they are not plants either!

I do not have a dog right now for two reasons. The first is that my wife runs a daycare in our home, and she does not need the extra work AND a houseful of other people's kids makes training near impossible. I do not want untrained kids F'ing up my dog.

The second is that I want to be the one who trains my dog. It will be good discipline for me and for the dog. :thumbsup:

Why do people insist on giving opinions on things they have zero experience with? You don't "think"? Truer words have never been spoken.

To answer STL: The answer lies in what YOUR lifestyle is. You really need to figure it out for yourself. I don't recommend rescues or mutts to first time dog owners because most of the time you won't know what you're getting. As someone who has spent the last 18 years rescuing dogs, it is not something to be gotten into lightly. I will say that Organized rescue has gotten significantly better in the last decade and maybe your local will be able to get you the right dog.

If you're looking for a puppy, go to a reputable breeder of the dog type you like and explain what you are looking for. The AKC or the National Group of the breed can help you find one. A good breeder will ask you all the right questions (temperment/exercise/show vs pet vs athlete/etc) and match you up with a puppy that'll fit your lifestyle.

If they don't do that, go somewhere else.

Golden retriever! I've seen too many aggrssive and unpredictable German Shepards to trust them. I know it depends on the owner, but some breeds are just more likely to be aggressive especially if you are getting a dog that has unknown breeding. I currently own a Golden and a German Shorthaired Pointer and they are both great dogs.

http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss22/je...pg?t=1245864573

As someone who works with a German Shepherd Rescue and is around dogs on a constant basis, it is amazing the amount of ignorance displayed in this thread. Frankly, it disgusts me.